1. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 14:59
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    I tend to think of "All Powerful" and "Almighty" as being more powerful than anything else, but I have to wonder if the intent was to include complete knowledge of the future. I mean, what would be the point of all this? God could move straight to judgement and skip this exercise. As a matter of fact, why create anything in the first place?
    To God the universe is already over and the judgement finished long ago. Why do you assume God has to wait on a timeline for that? Do you understand what eternity implies?

In any case , if you really believed in jesus then you would know what the point of it was and you would understand the nature of the "Father". But alas , you have a fragmented , pick and mix approach to the God that Jesus proclaimed and no real coherent belief system to support anything you say about Christianity.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 15:40
    But what of complete knowlege of the future? For whatever reason, people tend to include the complete knowledge of the future with omniscient. I don't think that these verses necessarily include that.
    God's knowledge is complete. He lacks nothing. We, on the other hand are not omniscient, and can only immagine what it means to be omniscient. We can define omniscients, but we don't have it.

You had originally asked for verses that would support the idea of God's omniscients, and others gave you numberous references. I sellected those few verses I felt would best answer you question.

Reason necessitates that God be all knowing. Otherwise He isn't God at all.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 16:02
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    To God the universe is already over and the judgement finished long ago. Why do you assume God has to wait on a timeline for that? Do you understand what eternity implies?

In any case , if you really believed in jesus then you would know what the point of it was and you would understand the nature of the "Father". But alas , you have a fragmented , ...[text shortened]... proclaimed and no real coherent belief system to support anything you say about Christianity.
    What is the source of your belief? Do you have explicit verses to back it up?
  4. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 16:02

In any case , if you really believed in jesus then you would know what the point of it was and you would understand the nature of the "Father". But alas , you have a fragmented , ...[text shortened]... proclaimed and no real coherent belief system to support anything you say about Christianity.
    'God's debris' by Scott Adams, author of 'Dilbert' has some very interesting
    takes on this.

I think it's available for free
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God's_Debris
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 16:20
    Originally posted by josephw
    God's knowledge is complete. He lacks nothing. We, on the other hand are not omniscient, and can only immagine what it means to be omniscient. We can define omniscients, but we don't have it.

You had originally asked for verses that would support the idea of God's omniscients, and others gave you numberous references. I sellected those few verses I felt w ...[text shortened]... you question.

Reason necessitates that God be all knowing. Otherwise He isn't God at all.
    The verses that you provided do not necessarily mean that God knows the complete future. The verses you provided do indicate that God knows the complete past and present. In this way God is all knowing.

If anything, reason necessitates that God not know the complete future.

"...He isn't God at all"? Or He wouldn't fit your conception of what God is? God would still be seriously powerful and knowledgeable.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 16:25
    The verses that you provided do not necessarily mean that God knows the complete future. The verses you provided do indicate that God knows the complete past and present. In this way God is all knowing.

If anything, reason necessitates that God not know the complete future.

"...He isn't God at all"? Or He wouldn't fit your conception of what God is? God would still be seriously powerful and knowledgeable.
    Omniscients means all knowing, that is, knowing everything. And since everything includes knowing the future, then it is only logical that God knows the future as well.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 16:27
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I think you have a very good point. Most people, after thinking about it, realize that omnipotency has its limitations. No matter how omnipotent a being is, it cannot do something that is contradictory or incoherent (such as create a rock to large to lift etc)
    Surely omniscience too must be bounded, a being however omniscient, presumably has limitations. ...[text shortened]... e future? And can God predict his own future? Does that not make him a static, unchanging being?
    It's unfortunate that many seem to want to give God attributes that consequently create so many contradictions. Especially if the attributes are not based in scripture, but to fulfill personal desires.
  8. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 16:36
    Omniscients means all knowing, that is, knowing everything. And since everything includes knowing the future, then it is only logical that God knows the future as well.
    Unless God was created by man, then he will need a path for his own.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 16:37
    But if the future has yet to happen, there is not yet anything to know.

Your conception of God creates many contradictions. It makes God incoherent. An incoherent god is not a god of truth.
  10. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 16:392 edits
    But if the future has yet to happen, there is not yet anything to know.

Your conception of God creates many contradictions. It makes God incoherent. An incoherent god is not a god of truth.
    And yet the game of chess survives in all its incoherence, as possibility and goal.

Why do you believe truth to be absolute?
  11. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 16:42
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    And yet the game of chess survives in all its incoherence, as possibility and goal.

Why do you believe truth to be absolute?
    There is only 1 truth, therefore it is absolute.
    Problem is we can never be sure it really is the truth.
  12. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 16:431 edit
    Originally posted by serigado
    There is only 1 truth, therefore it is absolute.
    Problem is we can never be sure it really is the truth.
    Hasn't life taught us that there are many truths?

edit. Do you believe in a truth for how you should play chess?
  13. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 16:54
    What is the source of your belief? Do you have explicit verses to back it up?
    I think someone has already done that on this thread quite convincingly and better than I could.
  14. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 16:591 edit
    It's unfortunate that many seem to want to give God attributes that consequently create so many contradictions. Especially if the attributes are not based in scripture, but to fulfill personal desires.
    It stands to reason that God must be eternal in the Christian tradition . If he is only temporary then he will one day not exist which is preposterously out of synch with the Christian vision of God. If God is in time or "part of" time then he must be part of the universe or exist only in the universe. If this is so how does he create time and the universe itself? If time has a beginning then how can God create time itself unless he is timeless and eternal?

A moments thought would have switched the lightbulb on for you. The more I find out about your thoughts on Christianity the more I realise you have no idea who Jesus really is.
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 17:06
    I think someone has already done that on this thread quite convincingly and better than I could.
    It's probably only "convincing" to those wishing to fulfill a preconceived notion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree