1. Joined
    03 Oct '07
    Moves
    29 Oct '07 05:221 edit
    Once saved, always saved? No.

God cannot walk away from you but you can certainly walk away from God. Saul is an example of this. There was a whole generation of "believing" Israelites that died in the wilderness because they didn't obey God.

We are Saved by the Grace of God.
    Grace is activated by our Faith in the God.
    Faith is confirmed by our Works.

Note that Works can be dead just as faith without works is dead.
  2. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '07 18:02
    So a christian who suffers from a mental illness is no longer saved if.... what?
  3. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    29 Oct '07 18:07
    Originally posted by SourJax
    God cannot walk away from you but you can certainly walk away from God.
    Absolutely. Several times even.
  4. Joined
    03 Oct '07
    Moves
    29 Oct '07 19:21
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    So a christian who suffers from a mental illness is no longer saved if.... what?
    ???
  5. weedhopper
    Moves
    29 Oct '07 19:47
    Once saved, always saved? No.

God cannot walk away from you but you can certainly walk away from God. Saul is an example of this. There was a whole generation of "believing" Israelites that died in the wilderness because they didn't obey God.

We are Saved by the Grace of God.
    Grace is activated by our Faith in the God.
    Faith is confirmed by our Works.

Note that Works can be dead just as faith without works is dead.
    Faith without works is dead is oft used to support this argument--the problem is "dead" doesn't mean unsaved.
  6. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '07 19:57
    ???
    If someone has a mental illness or is otherwise infirm of mind, eg denied christ etc etc through illness are they no longer saved?
  7. Joined
    03 Oct '07
    Moves
    29 Oct '07 20:04
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Faith without works is dead is oft used to support this argument--the problem is "dead" doesn't mean unsaved.
    I'm not sure what you mean? What argument are you speaking of? And how does "dead" not mean unsaved? God is the source of ALL Life, without God you are DEAD.

If you are assuming that I mean that without works you are not saved, let me be clear that is not what I mean. Works are a manifestation of Faith, not the other way around.

Works without Faith is like me gathering firewood for a fire in the winter, but if I don't have the matches to start the fire I'm going to freeze.

Faith without works is like me starting a fire in the winter and then never gathering any more firewood to feed that fire, when it runs out of fuel I'm going to freeze.

Faith that is confirmed by works is like me starting a fire in the winter and then gathering firewood to keep the fire going. I stay warm and toasty.

Many religions stress works, all this does is states that you can save yourself form yourself. Its a less pronounced self-godhood, that is common in all false religions.
  8. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    29 Oct '07 20:42
    I'm not sure what you mean? What argument are you speaking of? And how does "dead" not mean unsaved? God is the source of ALL Life, without God you are DEAD.

If you are assuming that I mean that without works you are not saved, let me be clear that is not what I mean. Works are a manifestation of Faith, not the other way around.

Works without Faith is ...[text shortened]... form yourself. Its a less pronounced self-godhood, that is common in all false religions.
    You must also be without God because you are sour. God is the source of all sweetness. You are without sweetness, and therefore without God.
  9. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '07 22:59
    Originally posted by telerion
    You must also be without God because you are sour. God is the source of all sweetness. You are without sweetness, and therefore without God.
    ah, but God is the source of all things, therefore god is the source of sour as well; so he must be with god....
  10. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '07 23:01

Works without Faith is ...[text shortened]... form yourself. Its a less pronounced self-godhood, that is common in all false religions.
    do you ever actually read what you write?

seriously; it's like a childs version of fables; except even more naive, if that's possible.
  11. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    29 Oct '07 23:501 edit
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    ah, but God is the source of all things, therefore god is the source of sour as well; so he must be with god....
    God is not the source of evil nor is he the source of sour. You see just as evil is the absence of good so to sour is the absence of sweetness*.

* - English nazi's: Do not confuse sour and bitter. Bitter is the absence of unbitterness.
  12. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    30 Oct '07 00:12
    What a laugh! Having a dead faith can mean being saved?

What a perversion of the Bible!

Nemesio
  13. weedhopper
    Moves
    30 Oct '07 01:46
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    What a laugh! Having a dead faith can mean being saved?

What a perversion of the Bible!

Nemesio
    I said no such thing. I said "dead" is not synonymous with "unsaved". When you read something carefully, it prevents an embarrassing faux pas--like yours😳
  14. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    30 Oct '07 03:121 edit
    I said no such thing. I said "dead" is not synonymous with "unsaved". When you read something carefully, it prevents an embarrassing faux pas--like yours😳

Let's reduce this. Essentially, you said:

Dead faith < > unsaved.

Therefore, it is possible that someone with a 'dead faith' is also saved.

This is a laughable proposition, because what else could St James mean but 'unsaved' when he
    said 'dead faith?' So, unless you are utterly confused with what you wrote, then you have to
    explain what 'dead faith' means if it does not mean 'unsaved.'

Nemesio
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Oct '07 09:49
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Let's reduce this. Essentially, you said:

Dead faith < > unsaved.

Therefore, it is possible that someone with a 'dead faith' is also saved.[/b]
    That is not logically correct. It might be that 'dead faith' is a subset of 'unsaved'.
    For example: suppose that there exists someone with 'live faith' who is also unsaved, then "Dead faith < > unsaved" may still hold true without your conclusion being true.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree