1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Feb '14 23:533 edits
    One Christian's understanding of atheism:

First, my thanks to the dozens of atheists who have patiently or impatiently listened to numerous questions and comments and replied to the best of their ability. Since Thanksgiving, 2013, lights have gradually come on to illuminate the previous darkness shrouding the topic. My vocabulary has also become enhanced with a few new words and definitions of old ones.

A hardnosed director of sales and marketing once set a boardroom full of subordinates straight on the most effective method of getting to the crux of unresolved issues and impossible challenges. We listened with rapt attention as John quietly spelled out his pragmatic method: "We get to the bottom of things with adroit questioning; continuing until we get down to the essence of the issue, challenge or problem: that which makes it what it is; we distill it to its irreducible entity then solve it".

Please know that I've done my level best to give due diligence in applying his successful method in grasping what's real and authentic relative to atheism on this forum. At its simplest, the word 'atheism' describes or defines the category of human beings who, at some point of god-curiosity or god-consciousness, have voluntarily decided they have no interest in knowing anything about god or of the possibility of a personal relationship with him. Deep within their innermost beings they have decided god doesn't exist; they've become convinced that further inquiry would be a colossal waste of time and energy.

In biblical terms: "Romans 1:18-20 New American Standard Bible Unbelief and Its Consequences:" "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse." I believe an atheist at the point of god-consciousness (becoming aware of the possible existence of a supreme being and accountable for a personal choice for or against god) says, 'no'.
  2. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 00:41
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]One Christian's understanding of atheism:

First, my thanks to the dozens of atheists who have patiently or impatiently listened to numerous questions and comments and replied to the best of their ability. Since Thanksgiving, 2013, lights have gradually come on to illuminate the previous darkness shrouding the topic. My vocabulary has also bec ...[text shortened]... istence of a supreme being and accountable for a personal choice for or against god) says, 'no'.[/b]
    I agree, however it must be remembered there will always be those who choose to ignore this, and refuse to admit it. If they want to set themselves up to be losers...let them. 🙂
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 00:45
    I was correct.

You don't get it.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 02:271 edit
    Deep within their innermost beings they have decided god doesn't exist;
    ** THUMP **
    ** THUMP **
    ** THUMP **

Can someone get me some Advil?

** THUMP **
    ** THUMP **
    ** THUMP **
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 02:57

First, my thanks to the dozens of atheists who have patiently or impatiently listened to numerous questions and comments and replied to the best of their ability. Since Thanksgiving, 2013, lights have gradually come on to illuminate the previous darkness shrouding the topic. My vocabulary has also bec ...[text shortened]... istence of a supreme being and accountable for a personal choice for or against god) says, 'no'.[/b]
    typo in thread title

One Christian's [fix]misunderstanding[/fix] of atheism:
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 04:41
    Originally posted by bill718
    I agree, however it must be remembered there will always be those who choose to ignore this, and refuse to admit it. If they want to set themselves up to be losers...let them. 🙂
    So far, that looks like SwissGambit, googlefudge, and wolfgang59. Any other?
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 05:02
    Thinking that someone wants to set themselves up as a loser
    is rather stupid - don't you think? Almost as stupid as not capitalising
    Earl and Grey and thinking that Europeans drink the horrid stuff.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 05:06
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    So far, that looks like SwissGambit,
    googlefudge, and wolfgang59. Any other?
    No just this gang of three.

The ROW believe in the Sky Spirit but
    do not know Him as well as you.
  9. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 06:06
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Thinking that someone wants to set themselves up as a loser
    is rather stupid - don't you think? Almost as stupid as not capitalising
    Earl and Grey and thinking that Europeans drink the horrid stuff.
    Wolfgang - You are free to believe whatever you wish. It's not my place to dictate beliefs to anyone, but if you are a true atheist, you had better be right, or your going to spend a very very long time regretting your decision. (I apologize deeply for capitalising Earl and Grey, but in fact there are some europeans that drink it,)😏
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 06:16
    "We get to the bottom of things with adroit questioning; continuing until we get down to the essence of the issue, challenge or problem: that which makes it what it is; we distill it to its irreducible entity then solve it".
    It seems he totally omitted the part where you are supposed to listen to the answers. Interestingly, whereas you used to attribute your technique of asking endless questions whilst ignoring the answers to a famous philosopher, you now attribute it to "John".
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 07:492 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It seems he totally omitted the part where you are supposed to listen to the answers. Interestingly, whereas you used to attribute your technique of asking endless questions whilst ignoring the answers to a famous philosopher, you now attribute it to "John".
    John Locke ["We arrive at the truth through the honest disagreement among friends"] and John Hughes' focus on objectively identifying the essence of the matter contributed to my analytical orientation as have a few of my site atheist friends.
  12. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 09:52

Good grief.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 10:17
    Wolfgang - You are free to believe whatever you wish. It's not my place to dictate beliefs to anyone, but if you are a true atheist, you had better be right, or your going to spend a very very long time regretting your decision. (I apologize deeply for capitalising Earl and Grey, but in fact there are some europeans that drink it,)😏
    1. Thank you for your permission to believe whatever I wish.

2. "If I am a true atheist I had better be right" ?
    So if I am an "untrue" atheist I'm OK?

3. Some Europeans drink it? Yes, I agree WOW

Surely just re-reading your own post is deeply humiliating? If not - I can help.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 10:26
    Isn't atheism a passive cognitive position whereby, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, a person shall hold a view that there are no deities?

I don't see why it's so complicated.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 11:18
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I don't see why it's so complicated.
    It is complicated because the existence of atheists is seen as a threat by some theists. They therefore go to great lengths to try and convince themselves and others that the atheists they are afraid of, do not exist, and that in reality atheists are something quite different (and presumably less threatening).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree