1. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 11:21
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    John Locke ["We arrive at the truth through the honest disagreement among friends"]
    I am sure we would arrive at the truth that way. However, what we have here is dishonest disagreement.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 18:131 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It is complicated because the existence of atheists is seen as a threat by some theists. They therefore go to great lengths to try and convince themselves and others that the atheists they are afraid of, do not exist, and that in reality atheists are something quite different (and presumably less threatening).
    There are fundamentally two reasons I continue to post in and read this forum; to call out the JWs on their dangerous craziness and to listen to the more moderate atheists. As a theist myself, really don't see athiesm/atheists* as a problem or challenge, the problem is/are the loony extremist religionists of all ilks.

*moderate, non anti-theist, non aggressive types.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 18:541 edit
    I am sure we would arrive at the truth that way. However, what we have here is dishonest disagreement.
    To the extent that topics themselves factor in the pace of arriving at the truth, it's understandable that conversation defines itself as a process as opposed to an event; honest and dishonest disagreement may certainly co-exist among friends.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 20:26
    Originally posted by divegeester
    As a theist myself, really don't see athiesm/atheists* as a problem or challenge, the problem is/are the loony extremist religionists of all ilks.
    I realise that, which is why atheism doesn't see so complicated to you. It is only theists that feel threatened who despite being told over and over by atheists what they believe and do not believe and what they mean when they call themselves atheists, continue to deliberately mischaracterize atheism and atheists.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 20:29
    To the extent that topics themselves factor in the pace of arriving at the truth, it's understandable that conversation defines itself as a process as opposed to an event; honest and dishonest disagreement may certainly co-exist among friends.
    Well I generally do not call 'friend' someone who like you, conducts all conversation with such deliberate premeditated dishonesty. Nor do I expect us ever to arrive at the truth via such conversation.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 20:56
    There are fundamentally two reasons I continue to post in and read this forum; to call out the JWs on their dangerous craziness and to listen to the more moderate atheists. As a theist myself, really don't see athiesm/atheists* as a problem or challenge, the problem is/are the loony extremist religionists of all ilks.

*moderate, non anti-theist, non aggressive types.
    However, there are those extreme atheists that want to destroy Christianity. A plain theist may not care about that, but I assure yout that we true Christians do.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 21:251 edit
    [b]One Christian's understanding of atheism:

First, my thanks to the dozens of atheists who have patiently or impatiently listened to numerous questions and comments and replied to the best of their ability. Since Thanksgiving, 2013, lights have gradually come on to illuminate the previous darkness shrouding the topic. My vocabulary has also bec ...[text shortened]... istence of a supreme being and accountable for a personal choice for or against god) says, 'no'.[/b]
    Out of curiosity, in what ways is what you have written here conceptually different from what you would have written prior to your 2+ month long "investigation".
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 21:411 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    However, there are those extreme atheists that want to destroy Christianity. A plain theist may not care about that, but I assure yout that we true Christians do.
    So we can have a point of reference, who here in this forum would you regard as contextually representing what you term an "extreme atheist"?
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 22:31
    Well I generally do not call 'friend' someone who like you, conducts all conversation with such deliberate premeditated dishonesty. Nor do I expect us ever to arrive at the truth via such conversation.
    "Well I generally do not call 'friend' someone who like you, conducts all conversation with such deliberate premeditated dishonesty. Nor do I expect us ever to arrive at the truth via such conversation."

Your peremptory judgments of another conscious entity's motivations and/or veracity in no way alter the reality of the validity of John Locke or John Hughes suggested pragmatic modus operandi or points of view. Please note again the simplicity of my understanding. If one or more categorical friends react emotionally the conversation becomes blurred.

"I believe an atheist at the point of god-consciousness (becoming aware of the possible existence of a supreme being and accountable for a personal choice for or against god) says, 'no'." (OP's concluding sentence)
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 22:43
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Out of curiosity, in what ways is what you have written here conceptually different from what you would have written prior to your 2+ month long "investigation".
    Replies and tone of meaning provided new information which I assimilated then summarized my understanding. As I've said before, "Like the Vermont Farmer I take my milk from many cows and then make my own butter". Thanks for participating.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 23:05
    So we can have a point of reference, who here in this forum would you regard as contextually representing what you term an "extreme atheist"?
    Sonhouse
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 23:13
    Sonhouse
    It's my opinion that, while sonhouse might be somewhat 'militant' in his thinking, I doubt he would be quite so 'militant' in action. I don't expect him to be firebombing churches any time soon.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 23:37
    Sonhouse
    Sonhouse is harmless, if he paid as much attention to computer virus protection as he does demonic protection, he would feel much better.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 23:41
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    It's my opinion that, while sonhouse might be somewhat 'militant' in his thinking, I doubt he would be quite so 'militant' in action. I don't expect him to be firebombing churches any time soon.
    I don't recall saying he was a militant atheist. I believe I put him in the category of an extreme atheist, who would wish to abolish Christianity, but not necessarily by violence, even though I doubt he would object if others took that route.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 23:55
    While I agree that there is a large proportion of atheists who wish
    religion did not exist I think many of those same atheists (myself included) would defend the right of anyone to hold any belief.

Certainly the atheists seem to take the side of minorities when
    they are being bashed on this forum.l

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree