1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 01:53
    https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2017/september/im-rare-breed-elite-chess-player-whos-open-about-his-faith.html
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 02:27
    Wow, would you look at that.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 05:48
    Originally posted by @rbhill
    https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2017/september/im-rare-breed-elite-chess-player-whos-open-about-his-faith.html
    So?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 06:101 edit
    Originally posted by @rbhill
    Thankyou. That was very interesting to me.

Ie

The God of Everything
    People in the chess world sometimes want to know whether I think God makes me win matches. Yes. And sometimes he makes me lose them too. He is the God of chess and, more importantly, the God of everything. Win or lose, I give him the glory. Of course, it’s hard when I don’t get what I want, the way it is for any child whose father says no. But even when I don’t understand God’s ways, I’m confident that his vision is much bigger than my own.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 09:15
    Originally posted by @sonship
    Thankyou. That was very interesting to me.

“The God of Everything
    People in the chess world sometimes want to know whether I think God makes me win matches. Yes. And sometimes he makes me lose them too. He is the God of chess and, more importantly, the God of everything. Win or lose, I give him the glory. Of course, it’s hard when I don’t get what I wan ...[text shortened]... n when I don’t understand God’s ways, I’m confident that his vision is much bigger than my own.”
    This is what you found interesting...?

So God DOES answer prayers about sport/games; does this line up with what you posted in “World Cup prayers” thread?
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 10:402 edits
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    This is what you found interesting...?

So God DOES answer prayers about sport/games; does this line up with what you posted in “World Cup prayers” thread?
    That is one of the things interesting I found.

And if you bothered to understand what he was saying, he said he thought sometimes God's answer to prayer was "No".

That was your thread Coming Home. I only suggested that it belonged on the Sports Forum. I never returned to it.

And I don't recall any participation in something called "World Cup Prayers".

https://www.chessatwork.com/forum/spirituality/coming-home.177706
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 10:564 edits
    Originally posted by @sonship
    That is one of the things interesting I found.

And if you bothered to understand what he was saying, he said he thought sometimes God's answer to prayer was "No".

That was your thread [b]Coming Home
    . I only suggested that it belonged on the Sports Forum. I never returned to it.

And I don't recall any participation in something called "World Cup Prayers".

https://www.chessatwork.com/forum/spirituality/coming-home.177706[/b]
    You are correct you didn’t contribute to that thread, I thought you had but I was mistaking you with someone else, sorry.

Here is the topic Thread 177383.

It got bogged down in side topics but the OP was using the World Cup to raise a point about who’s prayers God answers when there is potentially millions of people praying in opposing directions. You can comment on it there or here is you are interested, I presume you are because you said you were “interested” above.

I am not Interested in a chess GM being a Christian or not, trivial, boring. But I am somewhat interested in the thought dynamics of the prayers of one person praying for themself for God’s help in a chess match to help them win and then when they say that sometimes God answers and sometimes he doesn’t (presumably based on them winning or losing).

What is interesting is the cognitive gymnastics that goes on, the intellectual self-deception that says : I won so God answered my prayer, or, I lost God didn’t answer my prayer.

Is that what you found interesting?
  8. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 11:39
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Wow, would you look at that.
    It ill behooves you to find something positive to say about anything a Christian posts in this forum doesn't it?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 11:49
    Originally posted by @secondson
    It ill behooves you to find something positive to say about anything a Christian posts in this forum doesn't it?
    It's interesting that this is all you have to offer on this OP.
  10. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 11:53
    Originally posted by @fmf
    It's interesting that this is all you have to offer on this OP.
    No it's not.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 11:55
    No it's not.
    Well, I may have forced your hand to come up with something now.
  12. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 12:03
    Well, I may have forced your hand to come up with something now.
    Well, what would have been interesting is if you had said "it's interesting that this is all you have to offer on this OP" to divegeester's reply to the OP.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 12:06
    Well, what would have been interesting is if you had said "it's interesting that this is all you have to offer on this OP" to divegeester's reply to the OP.
    In the light of the OP, what do you make of the fact there are Muslims, Jews, Hindus and atheists who are elite chess players too?
  14. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 12:14
    In the light of the OP, what do you make of the fact there are Muslims, Jews, Hindus and atheists who are elite chess players too?
    I don't think it matters.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 12:16
    I don't think it matters.
    That would have been better than what you decided to lead with. So I was wrong. You did have something better to offer than what you chose to lead with.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree