1. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    16 Apr '16 21:571 edit
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3540683/Noahs-Ark-job-float-boat-Then-Christian.html

    "Employees at Kentucky's new Noah's ark attraction must be Christian
    and profess 'Christ as their savior'"

    A judge has granted an exemption to the Civil Rights Act, allowing the
    ministry 'Answers in Genesis' (which runs the theme park) to require
    all its employees to be Christian. The employer is seeking a tax rebate
    (estimated worth up to 18 million USD) from the state of Kentucky.
    Kentucky's governor (a conservative Christian) does not oppose the judge's ruling.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    16 Apr '16 23:05
    This makes sense. That organization has the goal of promoting Christianity, and should be allowed to have members that are like-minded. If it was merely a business owned by Christians, that would be different; but since this the organization is evangelistic in nature, wanting only Christians makes sense.
  3. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    16 Apr '16 23:13
    Originally posted by vivify
    This makes sense. That organization has the goal of promoting Christianity, and should be allowed to have members that are like-minded. If it was merely a business owned by Christians, that would be different; but since this the organization is evangelistic in nature, wanting only Christians makes sense.
    So would Vivify approve of a women's rights organization employing only women?
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    16 Apr '16 23:20
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    So would Vivify approve of a women's rights organization employing only women?
    You don't need to be a woman to promote women's rights; you simply need to believe women should have the same rights as men. However, it makes no sense to promote Christianity if you don't believe in it.
  5. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    16 Apr '16 23:241 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    You don't need to be a woman to promote women's rights; you simply need to believe women should have the same rights as men.
    However, it makes no sense to promote Christianity if you don't believe in it.
    So does Vivify believe that Christian organizations must hire only Christians to represent them in public relations?
    If I were working in public relations, I would advise a Christian organization if it paid me enough.
    I suspect that some Christian organizations have been represented by non-Christians in public relations.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    16 Apr '16 23:28
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    So does Vivify believe that Christian organizations must hire only Christians to represent them in public relations?
    If I were working in public relations, I would advise a Christian organization if it paid me enough.
    So does Vivify believe that Christian organizations must hire only Christians. . . ?

    "Must"? No. Should they have the option to? If their goal is specifically to spread Christianity, then yes.

    Should a women's rights organization be allowed to hire only those that believe in women's rights?
  7. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    16 Apr '16 23:442 edits
    Originally posted by vivify
    [b]So does Vivify believe that Christian organizations must hire only Christians. . . ?

    "Must"? No. Should they have the option to? If their goal is specifically to spread Christianity, then yes.

    Should a women's rights organization be allowed to hire only those that believe in women's rights?[/b]
    "However, it makes no sense to promote Christianity if you don't believe in it."
    --Vivify

    Does Vivify admit that his statement is wrong? Would Vivify regard it as nonsensical for a
    Jewish public relations person to work for a Christian organization that paid him or her enough?

    If paid enough, some people would work to promote chess even though they don't play
    chess and have no interest in learning chess.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    16 Apr '16 23:45
    Originally posted by vivify
    This makes sense. That organization has the goal of promoting Christianity, and should be allowed to have members that are like-minded. If it was merely a business owned by Christians, that would be different; but since this the organization is evangelistic in nature, wanting only Christians makes sense.
    It makes sense that any coming into contact with the public should
    be able to promote those views but there is no need for office staff
    or the toilet cleaner to be Christian. It is blatant discrimination.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    16 Apr '16 23:46
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    So would Vivify approve of a women's rights organization employing only women?
    A better analogy would be McDonalds not employing Vegans.
  10. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    16 Apr '16 23:47
    Originally posted by wolfgang59 to Vivify
    It makes sense that any coming into contact with the public should
    be able to promote those views but there is no need for office staff
    or the toilet cleaner to be Christian. It is blatant discrimination.
    I would add that this Christian employer seems to be seeking some preferential tax status
    (I don't know Kentucky tax laws) from the state, which is supposed not to have religious bias.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    16 Apr '16 23:49
    Originally posted by vivify
    You don't need to be a woman to promote women's rights; you simply need to believe women should have the same rights as men. However, it makes no sense to promote Christianity if you don't believe in it.
    You don't need to be a woman to promote women's rights; you simply need to believe women should have the same rights as men.

    Do you need to be a Christian to run a ticket booth, serve / prepare food, run a ride, etc.?

    While there may be jobs there which are primarily to "promote Christianity", clearly there would be jobs which are not .
  12. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223256
    16 Apr '16 23:52
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3540683/Noahs-Ark-job-float-boat-Then-Christian.html

    "Employees at Kentucky's new Noah's ark attraction must be Christian
    and profess 'Christ as their savior'"

    A judge has granted an exemption to the Civil Rights Act, allowing the
    ministry 'Answers in Genesis' (which runs the theme park) to require
    all its ...[text shortened]... of Kentucky.
    Kentucky's governor (a conservative Christian) does not oppose the judge's ruling.
    Good. But to hire non-Christians it might help convert them.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    16 Apr '16 23:54
    “AiG is confusing what they have the right to do as a private organization with what taxpayers are required to fund,” says Greg Lipper, senior litigation counsel for Americans United for Separation of Church and State. “They’re saying Kentucky taxpayers should pay for them to expand a religious ministry. That kind of argument would make Thomas Jefferson turn in his grave.”

    http://www.newsweek.com/2016/01/29/noahs-ark-kentucky-dinosaurs-416653.html
  14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    16 Apr '16 23:554 edits
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    "However, it makes no sense to promote Christianity if you don't believe in it."
    --Vivify

    Does Vivify admit that his statement is wrong? Would Vivify regard it as nonsensical for a
    Jewish public relations person to work for a Christian organization that paid him or her enough?

    If paid enough, some people would work to promote chess even though they don't play
    chess and have no interest in learning chess.
    Interesting, that you dodged my question about a women's rights organization hiring those who believe in women's rights. The fact that you did this shows you understand why the point is correct.

    Chess isn't an ideology, or fundamental belief like a religion is. Therefore, your chess analogy fails.
  15. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    17 Apr '16 00:03
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]You don't need to be a woman to promote women's rights; you simply need to believe women should have the same rights as men.

    Do you need to be a Christian to run a ticket booth, serve / prepare food, run a ride, etc.?

    While there may be jobs there which are primarily to "promote Christianity", clearly there would be jobs which are not .[/b]
    While there may be jobs there which are primarily to "promote Christianity", clearly there would be jobs which are not
    Since the theme park is evangelistic in nature, the job of everyone there would be to contribute to evangelizing, even if it's indirectly, like with having what Christians consider a "Christ-like" attitude.
Back to Top