1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '16 14:28
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    That's like saying a perfectly qualified non-swimmer can apply for a life-saver position.

edit: totally different to an atheist cleaning the toilets at a Christian Theme Park.
    No, I don't get that at all.

Racist misogynists are perfectly capable of cleaning toilets... Or if they are not it's not
    because they are racist misogynists.

But lets talk about the 'atheist cleaning toilets at a Christian theme park'...

Work place anti-discrimination law exists not just to prevent hiring and firing being determined by
    factors we deem to be unfairly discriminatory [ie protected factors such as ethnicity, gender, faith, etc]
    but to ensure that while employed all the employees have a safe and discrimination free workplace.

So as an atheist at this theme park, I should not have to put up with constant attempts to evangelise
    about Christianity from my co-workers.... Which poses a problem because a major point of this place
    [aside from making Ken Ham a bunch of cash] is to evangelise about [a particular subset of] Christianity.

For the same reason that in a church you expect all the people to be fervent Christians who are all happy
    to discuss Christianity at the drop of a hat because that is what a church is for, you could argue [and Vivify is]
    that this Christian theme park has a similar purpose and those working there would expect to be able to preach
    and evangelise about their religion without worrying about trampling anyone else's work-place rights because
    they are all from the same religion.
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '16 14:30
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    That's not a reasonable requirement from the employer.
    Not in the normal course no.

But in a Church or other similar institution it's a perfectly normal one.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '16 14:31
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Sounds like a lovers tiff between Duchess and Googlefudge to me.
    Then you have a very weird idea about what love sounds like.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Apr '16 15:001 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Then you have a very weird idea about what love sounds like.
    Perhaps if I put a "tongue-poke" emoticon after my post, would that have helped you get the humour in it?

Duchess69 was being his usual prissy drama-queen self. I'm just noting that his weird protestations sounded a bit like a lover having a spat with their partner. Besides I said "lovers tiff", not "love".
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '16 15:23
    Perhaps if I put a "tongue-poke" emoticon after my post, would that have helped you get the humour in it?

Duchess69 was being his usual prissy drama-queen self. I'm just noting that his weird protestations sounded a bit like a lover having a spat with their partner. Besides I said "lovers tiff", not "love".
    Apparently my post also needed a tongue-poke emoticon. Tone is hard on the internets.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    18 Apr '16 17:43
    Not in the normal course no.

But in a Church or other similar institution it's a perfectly normal one.
    Well, I've already accepted an exemption for priests. But I don't think it's a reasonable requirement for a caretaker.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Apr '16 17:49
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Y
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Apr '16 18:17
    Apparently my post also needed a tongue-poke emoticon. Tone is hard on the internets.
    Fair.

I think we are pretty much arguing the same points here anyway.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Apr '16 18:20
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Y
    Fronts
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 23:54

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    20 Apr '16 00:091 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed

Gandhi was shrewd enough to tell missionaries, “I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” When asked why he did not embrace Christianity, Gandhi said it offered nothing he could not get from his own religion, observing, “…to be a good Hindu also meant that I would be a good Christian. There is no need for me to join your creed to be a believer in the beauty of the teachings of Jesus or try to follow His example.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/dec/31/gandhi-glimpsed-christ-rejecting-christianity-fals/?page=all

By and large, the core beliefs of Christianity have little to do what Jesus taught while He walked the Earth and in many ways are antithetical to those teachings. Gandhi was one of many intelligent thinkers who have recognized this over the years.

When it comes to their core beliefs, seems like the vast majority of Christians are unable to operate within the realm of reason. Of course, that seems like it may apply to many of the opinions of vivify, GF, et al.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Apr '16 01:02

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Apr '16 02:04

Humor? Oh, really?

I don't find you making a point of calling her a "him" very humorous at all.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '16 18:04
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Humor? Oh, really?

I don't find you making a point of calling her a "him" very humorous at all.
    Duchess69 is a male, as far as I know. I open to correction. But that wasn't where the humour lay anyway. Interesting that you thought it was.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Apr '16 18:33
    Duchess69 is a male, as far as I know. I open to correction. But that wasn't where the humour lay anyway. Interesting that you thought it was.
    I'm so confused.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree