1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    03 Sep '12 19:26
    Is the Bible and it's messages open for our own interpretations? Can there be truth in all interpretations?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '12 19:331 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Is the Bible and it's messages open for our own interpretations? Can there be truth in all interpretations?
    Some are, some aren't.

That God is ONE is not open to interpretation. Love your neighbour is, to some extent, as are many of the parables.

Some of the JW interpretation is plain silly, but you choose to believe it so I'm surmmising that this thread will take the long road to nowhere.
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    03 Sep '12 19:36
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Some are, some aren't.

That God is ONE is not open to interpretation. Love your neighbour is, to some extent, as are many of the parables.

Some of the JW interpretation is plain silly, but you choose to believe it so I'm surmmising that this thread will take the long road to nowhere.
    Thanks and I might just suprise you and not go down that long road....Lol. But if I do go down that long road it will be to somewhere,
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 Sep '12 20:07
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Some are, some aren't.

Do you have the full list of passages which are? Google didnt help.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Sep '12 20:20
    Yes, of course. How can you know the meaning of the Bible except through interpretation? It is only a fundamentalist fantasy to view interpretation as corruption, as though to the fundamentalist, his immediate reading is a direct insight into the text without any interpretative activity on his part.
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    03 Sep '12 23:59
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Yes, of course. How can you know the meaning of the Bible except through interpretation? It is only a fundamentalist fantasy to view interpretation as corruption, as though to the fundamentalist, his immediate reading is a direct insight into the text without any interpretative activity on his part.
    But the Bible says NOT to lean on our own interpretations or understandings. Correct? The reason for this thread is because as sincere as RJH is in his belief of the trinity, he really does little in the way of answering with absolute truth or fact. He makes comments many times that he thinks, or feels or assumes in his answers. Again I know he really believes what he says but is never conviencing with facts from the Bible such as with the trinity.
    I also know he belongs to a church but apparently they are not able to give factual answers to him on this subject.

2 Peter 1:20-21
    Good News Translation (GNT)

20 Above all else, however, remember that none of us can explain by ourselves a prophecy in the Scriptures. 21 For no prophetic message ever came just from the human will, but people were under the control of the Holy Spirit as they spoke the message that came from God.

Proverbs 3:5
    Amplified Bible (AMP)

5 Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your own insight or understanding.

1 Corinthians 1:10
    Good News Translation (GNT)

Divisions in the Church
    10 By the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ I appeal to all of you, my friends, to agree in what you say, so that there will be no divisions among you. Be completely united, with only one thought and one purpose.

Deuteronomy 12:8
    New Century Version (NCV)

8 Do not worship the way we have been doing today, each person doing what he thinks is right.

So since we are not allowed to use our own understanding and perseption, how do we learn?
  7. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    04 Sep '12 00:12
    I think there are universal truths that are not open to debate that are taught through the bible. However some areas are grey and open to cultural and other interpretation.
    I don't believe that the bible is inerrant at least the transmission of what we have today. I don't think God even cares or meant it to be that way. However I believe the message is inerrant. The message of God as the creator and redeemer of mankind is not open to debate. Think of this Abraham He did not have an old or new testament to read yet he knew God

Manny
  8. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    04 Sep '12 00:14
    But the Bible says NOT to lean on our own interpretations or understandings. Correct? The reason for this thread is because as sincere as RJH is in his belief of the trinity, he really does little in the way of answering with absolute truth or fact. He makes comments many times that he thinks, or feels or assumes in his answers. Again I know he really be ...[text shortened]...

So since we are not allowed to use our own understanding and perseption, how do we learn?
    Be all of these things in God but why take some blokes interpretation that works in Brooklyn New York over your own or anyone's ?

Manny
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    04 Sep '12 00:34
    Originally posted by menace71
    Be all of these things in God but why take some blokes interpretation that works in Brooklyn New York over your own or anyone's ?

Manny
    So as you say were are not supposed to take some blokes word, how do we learn?
    And as far as listening to blokes words, has that not what has been happening in all religions?
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    04 Sep '12 00:35
    I think there are universal truths that are not open to debate that are taught through the bible. However some areas are grey and open to cultural and other interpretation.
    I don't believe that the bible is inerrant at least the transmission of what we have today. I don't think God even cares or meant it to be that way. However I believe the message is in ...[text shortened]... nk of this Abraham He did not have an old or new testament to read yet he knew God

Manny
    So why are there gray areas and if they are gray, are they supposed to remain that way forever?
  11. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    04 Sep '12 00:59
    So why are there gray areas and if they are gray, are they supposed to remain that way forever?
    Example: Paul stating that women should cover their heads when in church. Grey area. Going to a building to worship or praying out in a field. Grey area. When and what foods men should eat. Grey area.

Manny

PS: here the question to you? Why should we believe the Watchtower? Why are they the sole giver and interpreter of scripture?
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Sep '12 02:05
    But the Bible says NOT to lean on our own interpretations or understandings. Correct? The reason for this thread is because as sincere as RJH is in his belief of the trinity, he really does little in the way of answering with absolute truth or fact. He makes comments many times that he thinks, or feels or assumes in his answers. Again I know he really be ...[text shortened]...

But even that selection of quotes is an interpretation. I honestly cannot see what 1Corinthians 1.10 or Deuteronomy 12.8 have to do with the present discussion, but presumably you have inferred some relevant meaning.

Furthermore, those quotes you provided are translations and translations are also the products of interpretations. For the record, I strongly distrust those translations after consulting the original languages.

And just to preempt a misunderstanding, I am not advocating private interpretations. I do not believe that the importance of interpretation means 'anything goes' or 'think what you will'. I just believe that objective study of historical context, literary form, reception and so on, are essential to understanding what the Scriptures mean. Interpretation needn't equal schism or dissent.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Sep '12 05:04
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Do you have the full list of passages which are? Google didnt help.
    Do you need a list?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Sep '12 05:07
    PS: here the question to you? Why should we believe the Watchtower? Why are they the sole giver and interpreter of scripture?
    I can think of loads of reasons not to trust the JW interpretation of scripture, and none to trust it.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Sep '12 05:23
    But the Bible says NOT to lean on our own interpretations or understandings. Correct?
    Incorrect. You interpreted that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree