Open to interpretations?

Open to interpretations?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Sep 12
1 edit

Originally posted by galveston75
But the Bible says NOT to lean on our own interpretations or understandings. Correct? The reason for this thread is because as sincere as RJH is in his belief of the trinity, he really does little in the way of answering with absolute truth or fact. He makes comments many times that he thinks, or feels or assumes in his answers. Again I know he really be ...[text shortened]...

So since we are not allowed to use our own understanding and perseption, how do we learn?
This quote is only about understanding prophecy, doofus.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 Sep 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
That's not how you meant it when you whipped it out on me a few threads back.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
04 Sep 12

Is the Bible and it's messages open for our own interpretations? Can there be truth in all interpretations?
Yes.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
04 Sep 12

Just can't see the point here, huh buddy?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
04 Sep 12

Originally posted by Conrau K
[b]So since we are not allowed to use our own understanding and perseption, how do we learn?

But even that selection of quotes is an interpretation. I honestly cannot see what 1Corinthians 1.10 or Deuteronomy 12.8 have to do with the present discussion, but presumably you have inferred some relevant meaning.

Furthermore, those quotes you pr ...[text shortened]... to understanding what the Scriptures mean. Interpretation needn't equal schism or dissent.[/b]
1 Corinthians 1:10
Good News Translation (GNT)

Divisions in the Church
10 By the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ I appeal to all of you, my friends, to agree in what you say, so that there will be no divisions among you. Be completely united, with only one thought and one purpose.

Deuteronomy 12:8
New Century Version (NCV)

8 Do not worship the way we have been doing today, each person doing what he thinks is right.

Well both of them are adressing the "my own opinion" way of doing things spiritually which is something we can't do. For many reasons it just will not work.
Sure we may get a few things right, but without following these scriptures as well as just the examples in the Bible and what Jesus set up with the congregations and elders guiding those congregations and how they were all to be in agreement is what we have to follow.
Again I know for instance RJH really believes what he says. But even though he belongs to a church it seems by his answers that he's winging it at times and not able to answer many questions from the bible or is misapplying them.
I'm not knocking him at all as I know he's really trying. But many are in his shoes and just are not getting the truthful spiritual food we all need that is "constantly progressing" and getting "brighter and brighter". We have to do exactly as Jesus described and take the direction from the ones he has given that respondsibility too, not only learn the basics but to keep up with the new info.
And in turn though, those taking that spiritual lead all have to be in agreement also as commanded. If not, it will not work.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Sep 12
2 edits

Originally posted by Suzianne
That's not how you meant it when you whipped it out on me a few threads back.
I know. But I have heard it so much from the JWs that it seemed like a good quote to use under the circumstancs. I hope I am not succuming to their indoctrintion. Sorry Suzianne, but I still believe you should except those creeds unless you can prove from scripture that those church fathers were wrong. 😏

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
04 Sep 12

I know. But I have heard it so much from the JWs that it seemed like a good quote to use under the circumstancs. I hope I am not succuming to their indoctrintion. Sorry Suzianne, but I still believe you should except those creeds unless you can prove from scripture that those church fathers were wrong. 😏
But one also has to accept when shown from the bible that ones creeds have been proved wrong. It has been shown over and over from the Bible that the trinity is wrong. So what now?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Sep 12
1 edit

But one also has to accept when shown from the bible that ones creeds have been proved wrong. It has been shown over and over from the Bible that the trinity is wrong. So what now?
The Holy Bible is where the Church fathers came up with the creeds as a statement of beliefs of Christians of that day. I see nothing in the Holy Bible that proves them wrong. The way I see it, the words of the Holy Bible proves them right. 😏
HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
04 Sep 12

The Holy Bible is where the Church fathers came up with the creeds as a statement of beliefs of Christians of that day. I see nothing in the Holy Bible that proves them wrong. The way I see it, the words of the Holy Bible proves them right. 😏
No buddy, it was Babylon and you know it.....

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Sep 12

No buddy, it was Babylon and you know it.....
Those were not called "trinities" at the time either. It was not until much later that the word "Trinity" was given to those pagan deities. But those "trinities" are different from the "Triune God" described in the Doctrine of the Trinity that is proclaimed and defined in the Athanasian Creed.

http://bookofconcord.org/creeds.php#athanasian

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
04 Sep 12

Those were not called "trinities" at the time either. It was not until much later that the word "Trinity" was given to those pagan deities. But those "trinities" are different from the "Triune God" described in the Doctrine of the Trinity that is proclaimed and defined in the Athanasian Creed.

http://bookofconcord.org/creeds.php#athanasian
That's about the most nonsence thing I've ever read in my life. I can see why no one can explian it because if they go off this, it's a nightmare, a complete mess and a joke.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Sep 12

That's about the most nonsence thing I've ever read in my life. I can see why no one can explian it because if they go off this, it's a nightmare, a complete mess and a joke.
A nightmare to the unbelievers, but the words of eternal life to those that believe. 😏

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Sep 12
1 edit

1 Corinthians 1:10
Good News Translation (GNT)

Divisions in the Church
10 By the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ I appeal to all of you, my friends, to agree in what you say, so that there will be no divisions among you. Be completely united, with only one thought and one purpose.

Deuteronomy 12:8
New Century Version (NCV)

8 Do not piritual lead all have to be in agreement also as commanded. If not, it will not work.
Neither of those quotes address the issue of scriptural interpretation. They concern public ecclesial unity. Paul is instructing the Corinthians to avoid divisions in the community; Deuteronomy commands liturgical unity. It is your act of interpretation to infer that these injunctions also include theological unity over the reading of Scripture.

But what you are saying now is even stronger than in your original post. Not only do you caution against the interpretation of Scripture, you believe that all readings of Scripture have to mandated by some higher authority. But surely they need to interpret Scripture too? Or if the JW bosses read Scripture, it's not longer "interpretation"?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
04 Sep 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Conrau K
Neither of those quotes address the issue of scriptural interpretation. They concern public ecclesial unity. Paul is instructing the Corinthians to avoid divisions in the community; Deuteronomy commands liturgical unity. It is your act of interpretation to infer that these injunctions also include theological unity over the reading of Scripture.

But wha ...[text shortened]... nterpret Scripture too? Or if the JW bosses read Scripture, it's not longer "interpretation"?
Oh ok. Well that's your interpretaion on that.

So it's ok for the Pope and his fellow theologians to interpret the Bible as well as any priest, pastor whether Baptist, Deacon, Morman, Episcable, even yourself to interpret the Bible but we can't?
Who made you the judge on this?

PS. they are not a boos by any streach of your imagination. They are servants of Jehovah.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
05 Sep 12

Oh ok. Well that's your interpretaion on that.

So it's ok for the Pope and his fellow theologians to interpret the Bible as well as any priest, pastor whether Baptist, Deacon, Morman, Episcable, even yourself to interpret the Bible but we can't?

PS. they are not a boos by any streach of your imagination. They are servants of Jehovah.

I personally believe that anyone can study the Bible. That study will require in depth study of other disciplines: the languages, history, literary traditions, later reception, and the wealth of secondary scholarship on it. Only then can an informed interpretation be made.