1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 Oct '11 22:05
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Well, you can only reliably infer from experiments that are replicable, and when potentially confounding variables are controlled. You may need to check the brick/foot relationship under a variety of circumstances. Does it similarly hurt when others drop the brick, or when the brick is larger? Get back to me on this.
    Ok.
    But do you see where I'm going with this.
    Is the pain in the "mind"?

Apparently those Tibetans can melt snow by just sitting there ..
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Oct '11 23:302 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    try..
    YouTube&feature=related

http://www.constitution.org/col/amazing_grace.htm

P.S. Although I do not believe I am completely saved at the present
    time; but I am in a process now that will in the end result in salvation
    with eternal life. HalleluYAH !!!
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 05:07
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3XdXEJEI4E&feature=related

http://www.constitution.org/col/amazing_grace.htm

P.S. Although I do not believe I am completely saved at the present
    time; but I am in a process now that will in the end result in salvation
    with eternal life. HalleluYAH !!!
    The Present time is all we have. The future and past are non-existent from an eternal point of view.

of course we need to make clear sense of what the past and future entail in an everyday sense,perfectly, to transcend those apparent limitations.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 05:12
    Well, you can only reliably infer from experiments that are replicable, and when potentially confounding variables are controlled. You may need to check the brick/foot relationship under a variety of circumstances. Does it similarly hurt when others drop the brick, or when the brick is larger? Get back to me on this.
    Oh, and dont think the humour of your post escaped me.

I have dropped a 1.5-2kg rock from a height of nearly 3 feet on my foot,(right in the middle of the second and thrird toe), what are you going to do to keep this "challenge" alive? 🙂

It doesn't have to involve physical pain, just a challenge of sorts.

(Of course you may think I'm daft for doing this, and some do no doubt, but I am trying to gleen if you or anyone else can see any "spiritual merit" in any of this?)
  5. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 05:39
    Oh, and dont think the humour of your post escaped me.

I have dropped a 1.5-2kg rock from a height of nearly 3 feet on my foot,(right in the middle of the second and thrird toe), what are you going to do to keep this "challenge" alive? 🙂

It doesn't have to involve physical pain, just a challenge of sorts.

(Of course you may think I'm daft for ...[text shortened]... I am trying to gleen if you or anyone else can see any "spiritual merit" in any of this?)
    Methinks any "spiritual merit" one expects to "get", is an empty product of one's desire to taste Karma😵
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 05:451 edit
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Methinks any "spiritual merit" one expects to "get", is an empty product of one's desire to taste Karma😵
    Is that a universal appraisal or just for me and my situation ?.(it's hard to be humble on a forum where you have to express yourself and silence wont do.)
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 05:46
    What do you think of self flagelation as a means for achieving "merit"?
  8. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 05:55
    Is that a universal appraisal or just for me and my situation ?.(it's hard to be humble on a forum where you have to express yourself and silence wont do.)
    It 's my opinion as regards the (empty) nature of any kind of enveloping any kind of "spiritual merit". It's all just a glimpse (of your desire, thus of yourself) on your Mirror I reckon😵
  9. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 05:55
    What do you think of self flagelation as a means for achieving "merit"?
    I 'm not this advanced😵
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 06:204 edits
    It 's my opinion as regards the (empty) nature of any kind of enveloping any kind of "spiritual merit". It's all just a glimpse (of your desire, thus of yourself) on your Mirror I reckon😵
    Yes it is.

I once was three people all "walking" into each other,(all some bizarre reflection of eachother,nonphysical ,mind you). I have heard of this in hindu folklore (this kind of experience), unfortunately I was overwhelmed with fear at the time to walk into the abyss. But next time I'll be prepared.

edit: anyway, the main gist of the op was to gleen what bbarr and others thought of the objective pain and whether it was real or not.
    My dropping a rock on my foot was just a sideshow to show I was serious in some sort of way ..

and thank you all for your input, it has been a most enjoyable thread for me and thanks for your indulgence.
  11. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 07:37
    😵
  12. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 14:23
    Yes it is.

I once was three people all "walking" into each other,(all some bizarre reflection of eachother,nonphysical ,mind you). I have heard of this in hindu folklore (this kind of experience), unfortunately I was overwhelmed with fear at the time to walk into the abyss. But next time I'll be prepared.

edit: anyway, the main gist of the op was ...[text shortened]... ll for your input, it has been a most enjoyable thread for me and thanks for your indulgence.
    Well of course pain is real. You feel it, don't you? But that doesn't mean that it exists independently of minds, or that it exists as an object in minds, or that its qualitative character (its ouchiness) is independent of how we're disposed to evaluate it. It can be an objective fact that we're having a subjective experience the content of which is partly determined by our other subjective states (e.g., beliefs, desires, hopes and fears...).
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 15:39
    LOL ouchiness
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 16:36
    Well of course pain is real. You feel it, don't you? But that doesn't mean that it exists independently of minds, or that it exists as an object in minds, or that its qualitative character (its ouchiness) is independent of how we're disposed to evaluate it. It can be an objective fact that we're having a subjective experience the content of which is partly determined by our other subjective states (e.g., beliefs, desires, hopes and fears...).
    It also depends on our nerve sensory system to the pain center in the brain
    I understand. Do you have a comment on that? Perhaps this is a science
    matter.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 20:09
    What if I dont feel it?

Or is it more real the more painful it is?

(just got up, not really thinking right yet)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree