Opposition to Truth

Opposition to Truth

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
28 Apr 14

Originally posted by FMF
Are you casting yourself as one of the "innovators"? Do you see yourself as "persecuted"?
In my context the "innovator" is the Person of Christ; "persecuted" of course not.
Evelyn (an RN) may have replied: "FMF, my dear man, are you full of prunes?"

F

Moves
28 Apr 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
In my context the "innovator" is the Person of Christ; "persecuted" of course not.
Evelyn (an RN) may have replied: "FMF, my dear man, are you full of prunes?"
LemmonJello's solitary emoticon was a fitting response to your waffly cop out answer to his post. How does the Aldous Huxley quote in any way rehabilitate your evasive post addressed to him on page 6? 🙂

rc

Moves
28 Apr 14
1 edit

Originally posted by stellspalfie
robbie, spin on it.
you want more spin? 😲

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
28 Apr 14
2 edits

“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy
of life is when men are afraid of the light.” -Plato

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
29 Apr 14

“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy
of life is when men are afraid of the light.” -Plato
And of what was Plato speaking?
What is the light?
Science? Maths? Knowledge?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
29 Apr 14
1 edit

Originally posted by wolfgang59
And of what was Plato speaking?
What is the light?
Science? Maths? Knowledge?
Since academe is less than unanimous in ascribing this quotation to Plato, answering your question presents a challenge. Ignoring the issue of authorship, I doubt any particular academic discipline is in view. With the child/adult counterpoint central to its meaning, my take is that human behavior is being isolated and portrayed... specifically honesty with respect to truth: not just talking or writing about truth but squarely facing and processing it however inconvenient without becoming emotionally overwhelmed. Cowardly choosing a life of protective ignorance and familiar confusion eventually results in a pretend world of self absorption and self-delusion. Why? To avoid the light of absolute truth out of fear of being found out.

"John 3:18-21 18 He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21 But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God.” New American Standard Bible

F

Moves
29 Apr 14

Cowardly choosing a life of protective ignorance and familiar confusion eventually results in a pretend world of self absorption and self-delusion. Why? To avoid the light of absolute truth out of fear of being found out.

The problem with hiding behind other people's quotes, though, Grampy Bobby, is that they can so often just as easily be interpreted as referring to the likes of you, as is the case with this Plato one.

It's funny that you, of all people here, should be talking about ...cowardly choosing a life of protective ignorance and familiar confusion eventually results in a pretend world of self absorption and self-delusion when these words could easily be about you; A life of protective ignorance? Check. Familiar confusion? Check. A pretend world? Check. Self absorption? Check. Self-delusion? Check. The irony is both rich and deep.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
29 Apr 14

Originally posted by FMF
[b]Cowardly choosing a life of protective ignorance and familiar confusion eventually results in a pretend world of self absorption and self-delusion. Why? To avoid the light of absolute truth out of fear of being found out.

The problem with hiding behind other people's quotes, though, Grampy Bobby, is that they can so often just as easily be interpreted ...[text shortened]... end world? Check. Self absorption? Check. Self-delusion? Check. The irony is both rich and deep.[/b]

F

Moves
29 Apr 14
2 edits

17. >> "17.You find yourself judging others." > "Soul Loss" thread.
But doesn't that just mean that your quoting of Plato [and your words about the "cowardice" and "self-absorption"etc. of those you are targetting with it ] was simply "17" as well?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
29 Apr 14

Originally posted by FMF
But doesn't that just mean that your quoting of Plato [and your words about the "cowardice" and "self-absorption"etc. of those you are targetting with it ] was simply "17" as well?
Thank you.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
29 Apr 14

Thank you.
Picture this:
I ask one of my students a question to find
out his understanding and he replies "Thank you"

I have worked in Special Education so I would not be too surprised.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
29 Apr 14
1 edit

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Picture this:
I ask one of my students a question to find
out his understanding and he replies "Thank you"

I have worked in Special Education so I would not be too surprised.
... and you say, "You're welcome".

Edit: Reason? To inject or inculcate a measure of civility to enable the conversation to begin or continue.

Cape Town

Moves
30 Apr 14

... and you say, "You're welcome".

Edit: Reason? To inject or inculcate a measure of civility to enable the conversation to begin or continue.
I am afraid that that is not how it comes across.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
30 Apr 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
I am afraid that that is not how it comes across.
For effective communication to occur both sender and receiver of the content of the message have a responsibility: sender to encode the words with clarity and receiver to decode them with objectivity. Both must have a shared frame of reference.

Moves
30 Apr 14

For effective communication to occur both sender and receiver of the content of the message have a responsibility: sender to encode the words with clarity and receiver to decode them with objectivity. Both must have a shared frame of reference.
Which is of course why you make your posts as vague and unintelligible as possible.
Talk in cryptic crossword clues and fortune cookie wisdom...
And if all else fails copy paste an irrelevant quote.

All the while not bothering to actually read or engage with the posts of anyone else.