1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 05:36
    It is said that people are born with original sin. Is this precise?

Is original sin something that is conferred at birth or conception? Are human embryos sinful?
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 07:28
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles

Is original sin something that is conferred at birth or conception? Are human embryos sinful?
    The Catholic Church (especially) would seem to be locked into the propostion that embryos are sinful, since they contend that life starts at conception.

I'm assuming the unstated question here is 'why is abortion so frowned upon if embryos are inherently sinful?'
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 10:21
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The Catholic Church (especially) would seem to be locked into the propostion that embryos are sinful, since they contend that life starts at conception.

I'm assuming the unstated question here is 'why is abortion so frowned upon if embryos are inherently sinful?'
    Yes, quite strange that they would promote the bringing of more evil into the world so vehemently.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 12:581 edit

From a Christian perspective all are born with a "sin nature". However, there is an age of accountability that one is responsible for addressing this sinful nature. Thus children that have not reached this age of accountability are not held accountable for this sin nature. I would even contend that adults who are not mentally capable of being accountable also would fall into this category.

When talking about "sin" it would behoove one to define what sin is. Do you believe in sin and how do you define it if you do? Also, if you do believe in sin do you know anyone who has escaped its grasp?
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 13:04
    Originally posted by whodey
    From a Christian perspective all are born with a "sin nature". However, there is an age of accountability that one is responsible for addressing this sinful nature. Thus children that have not reached this age of accountability are not held accountable for this sin nature. I would even contend that adults who are not mentally capable of being accountable a ...[text shortened]... it if you do? Also, if you do believe in sin do you know anyone who has escaped its grasp?
    Are they born with it or conceived with it?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 13:16
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Are they born with it or conceived with it?
    I guess this question is a result of those who do not believe life starts at conception. Since most Christians do believe that life starts at conception what do you think?
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 13:52
    The sin nature resides in the cell structure, passed on through the genetic contribution from the male. The chromosomes that the woman passes on are free of the sin nature via the reproduction process.

There was an entire thread dedicated to this line of thought previously.
  8. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 16:10

If I were a proponent of Catholic doctrine, I would proceed as follows.

One should distinguish between the predisposition to sin and the act of sinning itself. Embryos, like babies, possess the predisposition to sin (= are burdened with original sin), but do not yet act sinfully (= cannot yet be properly characterized as "sinful"😉. Their predisposition to sin has yet to express itself in sinful acts.

Moreover, original sin is not conferred; it is instrinsic to human nature.
  9. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 16:12
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    The sin nature resides in the cell structure, passed on through the genetic contribution from the male. The chromosomes that the woman passes on are free of the sin nature via the reproduction process.

There was an entire thread dedicated to this line of thought previously.
    And there I was thinking that men's sperm were good and the women's eggs were evil!

So, how do you know which is good and which evil?
  10. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 16:32
    From a Christian perspective all are born with a "sin nature". However, there is an age of accountability that one is responsible for addressing this sinful nature. Thus children that have not reached this age of accountability are not held accountable for this sin nature. I would even contend that adults who are not mentally capable of being accountable a ...[text shortened]... it if you do? Also, if you do believe in sin do you know anyone who has escaped its grasp?
    Ironically, by your criteria, the severly retarded and demented would be sin free.
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 16:45
    If children are not accountable for their 'sin nature', then why did the Lord drown so many of them in the great genocidal flood? Why did he slay the first-born of Egypt?
  12. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 17:042 edits
    From a Christian perspective all are born with a "sin nature". However, there is an age of accountability that one is responsible for addressing this sinful nature. Thus children that have not reached this age of accountability are not held accountable for this sin nature. I would even contend that adults who are not mentally capable of being accountable a it if you do? Also, if you do believe in sin do you know anyone who has escaped its grasp?
    I think we talked about that before, there is no prove in the Bible that we born sinful, or we inherit the original sin. Actually the original sin is not mentioned in the Bible.

So if this is the case why should we belive such a belive. I think it is a human made one.

Jesus didn't mention it as part of his tenets. It is not there in the Old Tastement, and GOD already punished Adam and Eve for it.
  13. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 17:42
    Originally posted by ahosyney
    I think we talked about that before, there is no prove in the Bible that we born sinful, or we inherit the original sin. Actually the original sin is not mentioned in the Bible.

So if this is the case why should we belive such a belive. I think it is a human made one.

Jesus didn't mention it as part of his tenets. It is not there in the Old Tastement, and GOD already punished Adam and Eve for it.
    Wait, Adam and Eve got evicted for our sins?
  14. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 17:51
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I love when you use scientific terms for non-scientific things. It makes you sound authoritative.
    Unless they've isolated the 'sin nature' organelle, protein, or gene (or does it reside in the protoplasm)...

Nemesio
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 17:55

How do you define the word, "original" seems strait forward to me.
    Our nature was corrupted then, we can be to be selfish in the face
    of things that tell us that is wrong, things we even acknowledge as
    true.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree