1. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 17:58
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    It is said that people are born with original sin. Is this precise?

Is original sin something that is conferred at birth or conception? Are human embryos sinful?
    if youre talking about being "born into sin", i dont think you are a sinner when you are born but that means that since everything is predetermined God knows that one day you will sin.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 18:03
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    I love when you use scientific terms for non-scientific things. It makes you sound authoritative.
    Unless they've isolated the 'sin nature' organelle, protein, or gene (or does it reside in the protoplasm)...

Nemesio
    Techincally speaking, aren't all words in some sense or another 'scientific?' Is there a non-scientific word or phrase that would adequately/accurately describe genetic information? Or, do you prefer the traditional language of 'seed of the man?'

You assume that we know everything about the inner-world, or that the scientific process is capable of revealing everything. That assumption/faith is an ill-placed and (potentially) fatal error.
  3. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 18:07
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    Wait, Adam and Eve got evicted for our sins?
    No for their sin.

What is the original sin? Christians assumes that we inherit the sin that Adam and Eve did. But they are already punished for it so why we take their sin.
  4. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    You assume that we know everything about the inner-world, or that the scientific process is capable of revealing everything. That assumption/faith is an ill-placed and (potentially) fatal error.
    No, I don't assume that.

In fact, you'll note that it is you making the assumption. You are asserting that something
    which is hitherto untested and unobserved resides somewhere undetected in the 'cell structure'
    and 'passed in the man's seed.'

A scientific claim would have an element of proof. Do you have that?

Nemesio
  5. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    I love when you use scientific terms for non-scientific things. It makes you sound authoritative.
    Unless they've isolated the 'sin nature' organelle, protein, or gene (or does it reside in the protoplasm)...

Nemesio
    All my mitochrondria are illegal cellural immigrants. I would evict them, but they all the jobs by other organelles couldn't be bothered doing.
  6. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 18:083 edits
    Techincally speaking, aren't all words in some sense or another 'scientific?' Is there a non-scientific word or phrase that would adequately/accurately describe genetic information? Or, do you prefer the traditional language of 'seed of the man?'

Techincally speaking, aren't all words in some sense or another 'scientific?' No!

Techincally Technically

We assume *you* know nothing
  7. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 18:08
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    ...but that means that since everything is predetermined God knows that one day you will sin.
    God predetermined people for hell?

Nice guy.
  8. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 18:13
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    All my mitochrondria are illegal cellural immigrants. I would evict them, but they all the jobs by other organelles couldn't be bothered doing.
    You should do what they do in the country of plantae: build a extra-cellular matrix around
    your cells to keep the illegals out! Some use cellulose, but I suggest lignin for its longevity.
  9. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 18:14
    Techincally speaking
    Maybe you should avail yourself of the edit button occasionally.

Nemesio
  10. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 18:19
    You should do what they do in the country of plantae: build a extra-cellular matrix around
    your cells to keep the illegals out! Some use cellulose, but I suggest lignin for its longevity.
    Too late. My mitochondria are now is a position of absolute power. My cells can't survive without them.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 19:39
    No, I don't assume that.

In fact, you'll note that it is you making the assumption. You are asserting that something
    which is hitherto untested and unobserved resides somewhere undetected in the 'cell structure'
    and 'passed in the man's seed.'

A scientific claim would have an element of proof. Do you have that?

Nemesio
    For not assuming 'that,' you still draw conclusions which rely on 'that.' Just because we are not able to observe the sin nature in the cell structure doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Such shortsightedness is what keeps knowledge at bay and people in darkness.

If I were making the assumption, all of my thinking would be based upon faith in the scientific process for total revelation; my thinking clearly is not based on such limited perspective.

What I have answered to the question given is the biblical position for the question of original sin, using language perspicuous for a contemporary reader. With what part did you have the most trouble?
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 19:40
    Maybe you should avail yourself of the edit button occasionally.

Nemesio
    Touche. I'll be sure to remind you of the same on the occasion of your next spelling and/or grammatical error. Enjoy my error: the rarity enhances the pleasure.
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 19:41
    Originally posted by Agerg
    [b]Techincally speaking, aren't all words in some sense or another 'scientific?' No!

Techincally Technically

We assume *you* know nothing[/b]
    A little tidbit for ya: simply by using the following keystrokes, you can eliminate the need for asteriks as emphasis in your typing:
    [
    i
    ]
    [
    /
    i
    ]
    Good luck!
  14. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 21:53
    God predetermined people for hell?

Nice guy.
    God doesnt send people to hell for sins, you repent.
  15. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 02:06
    For not assuming 'that,' you still draw conclusions which rely on 'that.' Just because we are not able to observe the sin nature in the cell structure doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Such shortsightedness is what keeps knowledge at bay and people in darkness.

If I were making the assumption, all of my thinking would be based upon faith in the scientifi ...[text shortened]... uage perspicuous for a contemporary reader. With what part did you have the most trouble?
    But you can't observe 'sin nature' anywhere. Why assume it's part of the cell? Why not
    part of the soul (something else we cannot observe)? Or perhaps part of the psyche?

You assert it belongs in the cell, but you admit you can't show it. So, what you meant to
    say was 'I believe (or my faith tells me) that sin nature resides in the cell.'

I understand the Biblical presentation. Assuming for a moment that the Biblical explanation
    is necessarily true (I'm willing to play ball), there is no reason to believe that it has anything
    whatsoever to do with cells. Sin nature could just as easily (or perhaps more easily) be
    something utterly apart from the corporeal, just as the soul is.

The only part 'with which I had trouble' was (yet another of) your bald assertions that give
    a pseudo-scientific understanding of things pertaining to faith. I know why you do it: to give
    yourself the illusion of credibility (just like your disastrous foray into philosophy). Sadly, you are
    no longer the medium-sized fish in the very, very small pond.

Nemesio

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree