1. Colorado
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 13:161 edit
    Originally posted by telerion
    "Some advice I would give is never make the ouija board mad."

Very true. I've also discovered that you should never make a chessboard mad either. One time I was at a friend's house, and he asked if I wanted to play chess. I said, "Yes," and so we got the board out. I noticed that the board was in bad condition.
    Without thinking, I exclai ...[text shortened]... ver moved it there! I lost the game.

Now I always compliment the chessboard before playing.
    You could get by as a comedian. 😀
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 13:18
    I was banned from another site for using a Ouija Board to suggest moves. The administrators considered my actions even more reprehensible than using a chess engine.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 13:49
    The ouija board is for French Rastafarian yes-men.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 14:58
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    I've never messed around with one, but I've heard that people sometimes have supernatural experiences with them.

Does anybody have any stories to share?
    A Ouija board is just a board, like a chess board. The only difference is it is used for a different purpose. That purpose being to conjure up or speak with a spirit/unknown entity/ghost whatever definition suites you.
    I see it as an open invitation to demonic spirits, and that does not always require a Ouija board. But most people use it just for fun, not knowing what they are getting into. However, contrary to popular opinion, ignorance is not bliss.
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 17:01
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    contrary to popular opinion, ignorance is not bliss.
    The cliche you reference is more an observation than an opinion. Many, who have some knowledge, have observed the comfort others feel in lacking that same knowledge.

For example, an American child was born yesterday to American parents in America. The parents are happy. Their happiness is felt in blissful ignorance--perhaps willed, probably a product of their apathy--of the realities that the child will live a life far less happy than his or her parents. The American century is over; dark days are ahead. But we go on from day to day with little thought of how dark the days ahead may become. Ignorance is bliss, for with knowledge comes pain.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 00:361 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    The cliche you reference is more an observation than an opinion. Many, who have some knowledge, have observed the comfort others feel in lacking that same knowledge.

For example, an American child was born yesterday to American parents in America. The parents are happy. Their happiness is felt in blissful ignorance--perhaps willed, probably a product of t ...[text shortened]... hought of how dark the days ahead may become. Ignorance is bliss, for with knowledge comes pain.
    Well said. A simple analogy might be someone removes the stop sign. Someone else drives through thinking they have the right of way.
    No knowledge.

And yes, you are correct, it is an observation. Thank you for your correction.
  7. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 01:10
    Originally posted by Wulebgr

For example, an American child was born yesterday to American parents in America. The parents are happy. Their happiness is felt in blissful ignorance--perhaps willed, probably a product of t ...[text shortened]... hought of how dark the days ahead may become. Ignorance is bliss, for with knowledge comes pain.
    Ignorance is bliss, for with knowledge comes pain.

Interesting “existentialist” question for adults is, are we willing to take the pain in order to pursue knowledge, rather than settling for ignorance in order to remain happy and unconcerned, and seemingly secure….
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 01:15
    Originally posted by vistesd
    [b]Ignorance is bliss, for with knowledge comes pain.

Interesting “existentialist” question for adults is, are we willing to take the pain in order to pursue knowledge, rather than settling for ignorance in order to remain happy and unconcerned, and seemingly secure….[/b]
    I like it....
  9. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 01:40
    Originally posted by vistesd
    [b]Ignorance is bliss, for with knowledge comes pain.

Interesting “existentialist” question for adults is, are we willing to take the pain in order to pursue knowledge, rather than settling for ignorance in order to remain happy and unconcerned, and seemingly secure….[/b]
    OH BRAVE NEW WORLD!!!

😀
  10. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 02:55
    OH BRAVE NEW WORLD!!!

😀
    LOL! But I was thinking of the Myth of Sysiphus.
  11. Standard memberchancremechanic
    Islamofascists Suck!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 02:57
    That's some really funny stuff. Thanks for the laugh. Those stories are obviously contrived urban legends. You can tell by the style.

If you want to feel all spooky, then more power to you.
    I don't feel "spooky" at all. I have a healthy dose of respect for what the Devil and his demons can do to people's minds because of documented facts....do you dispute facts? Don't ask me to research and post a source because I'm too busy; feel free to do research yourself...yeah, some of the writing in the site was juvenile, but that doesn't qualify it as fallacy. I don't fear the Devil, but I know he is real, and I ain't taking any chances that can allow him entry into my psyche/soul. Maybe Ouija boards are harmless...maybe not...I really don't care, 'cause I ain't touching one.....if you feel brave, or perhaps foolish, more power to you....
  12. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 03:45
    Originally posted by chancremechanic
    I don't feel "spooky" at all. I have a healthy dose of respect for what the Devil and his demons can do to people's minds because of documented facts....do you dispute facts? Don't ask me to research and post a source because I'm too busy; feel free to do research yourself...yeah, some of the writing in the site was juvenile, but that doesn' ...[text shortened]... , 'cause I ain't touching one.....if you feel brave, or perhaps foolish, more power to you....
    No big deal in my book. I guarentee you that there are no "documented facts." If there were then ouija boards would be outlawed and demon possession would be on the list of psychological afflictions at the American Psychology Association.

The "documented facts" that I believe you are referring to are actually trumped up urban legends peddled by a few fundamentalist xian apologists. They give you all sorts of stories, but if you ever were to dig into them very deeply you'd discover that they amount to nothing more than the stories on that site.

I don't play with ouija boards because I've never had either the opportunity or the interest. Maybe if I see one laying around I'll play with it a bit. Do my own test.

Then I'll come back on here spitting split pea soup!
  13. Standard memberchancremechanic
    Islamofascists Suck!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 04:07
    No big deal in my book. I guarentee you that there are no "documented facts." If there were then ouija boards would be outlawed and demon possession would be on the list of psychological afflictions at the American Psychology Association.

The "documented facts" that I believe you are referring to are actually trumped up urban legends peddled by a ...[text shortened]... ll play with it a bit. Do my own test.

Then I'll come back on here spitting split pea soup!
    A&E, Disccover, and other networks/channels have run documentaries on them, so that gives the "stories' some credibility, no? If you don't believe in God or Satan, then I won't try to convince you otherwise...
  14. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 04:13
    Originally posted by chancremechanic
    A&E, Disccover, and other networks/channels have run documentaries on them, so that gives the "stories' some credibility, no? If you don't believe in God or Satan, then I won't try to convince you otherwise...
    Well no I don't believe in God (xian god) nor do I believe in Satan. So that's fine. I'd have to check these programs to see exactly what there position was on the issue. Having a show about ouija stories does not make them credible though. Hell, Fox has shown a documentary on the Moon Landing Conspiracy. They even showed it in a favorable light!

It's going to take some studies conducted by non-xian fundie think tanks/propaganda machines to make even suspect there's something to these stories. I guess you've made your position clear, and I have mine. Now all that's left is for each of us to go check up on the facts, if we are so inclined.
  15. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 04:29
    By the way I've been searching for an A&E episode that talks about ouija, but I can't find it. I've tried their site as well as a general google search. Do you remember anything about the program, like a name?

I did find a program on Discovery Channel entitled "Top Ten Ways to Communicate with the Dead." It's obviously a program intended to be both fun and educational. Fun because spiritualism (yes, even xian spiritualism) can be spooky. Educational because the viewer learns something about superstitions and culture. This program was not intended to be a skeptical scientific investigation into the efficacy of the practices.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree