Our Addresses

Our Addresses

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infidel

Moves
11 Mar 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
[b]"The Lamb's Book of Life"

twhitehead;

ThinkOfOne;

RBHILL;

Suzianne;

galveston75;

wolfgang59;

Duchess64;

JS357;

SwissGambit;

FabianFnas;

CalJust;

---Penguin

Great King Rat

Grampy Bobby

All twelve of our names were written ...[text shortened]... us Christ (the names of those will be removed and no longer remembered in Heaven. Rev. 20:15[/b][/b]
Fourteen.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
11 Mar 14

Originally posted by Great King Rat
Fourteen.
"The Lamb's Book of Life"

twhitehead;

ThinkOfOne;

RBHILL;

Suzianne;

galveston75;

wolfgang59;

Duchess64;

JS357;

SwissGambit;

FabianFnas;

CalJust;

---Penguin;

Great King Rat;

Russ;

Grampy Bobby;

All fifteen of our names were written in the Lamb's Book of Life at physical birth and are still written there; and all of us will be together with God sharing His Happiness in Heaven for Eternity, unless any one of us dies without having believed in the Person of Jesus Christ (the names of those will be removed and no longer remembered in Heaven. Rev. 20:15

Infidel

Moves
11 Mar 14

Did Russ threaten to ban you if you didn't include him?

F

Moves
11 Mar 14
1 edit

All fifteen of our names were written in the Lamb's Book of Life at physical birth and are still written there; and all of us will be together with God sharing His Happiness in Heaven for Eternity, unless any one of us dies without having believed in the Person of Jesus Christ (the names of those will be removed and no longer remembered in Heaven. Rev. 20:15
I'm not sure that heaven is a nice place. I'm not very fond of harps and psalms.
I rather think about nirvana. Can you perhaps arrange for my presence there when my time comes...?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
11 Mar 14

[b]"The Lamb's Book of Life"

twhitehead;

ThinkOfOne;

RBHILL;

Suzianne;

galveston75;

wolfgang59;

Duchess64;

JS357;

SwissGambit;

FabianFnas;

CalJust;

---Penguin;

Great King Rat;

Russ;

Grampy Bobby;

All fifteen of our names were wr ...[text shortened]... Jesus Christ (the names of those will be removed and no longer remembered in Heaven. Rev. 20:15[/b]
Guess I'm good then - I believed in all the Jesus stuff for 20 years. And I still believe there was a real person named Jesus back in the day. I just don't think he can offer anyone salvation from anything, what with him being dead for a very long time.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
11 Mar 14

Originally posted by JS357
It's all about this claim of rejecting belief.

Hint: Do the search.

Or start at:

http://www.iep.utm.edu/doxa-vol/
Now I repeat the last relevant comment on this thread.

Well, I still find no belief in deity when I introspect. However I am a believer in indirect doxastic voluntarism.

Has none of you the slightest curiosity?

It's all about this claim of rejecting belief.

Hint: Do the search.

Or start at:

http://www.iep.utm.edu/doxa-vol/

"Doxastic voluntarism is the philosophical doctrine according to which people have voluntary control over their beliefs. Philosophers in the debate about doxastic voluntarism distinguish between two kinds of voluntary control. The first is known as direct voluntary control and refers to acts which are such that if a person chooses to perform them, they happen immediately. For instance, a person has direct voluntary control over whether he or she is thinking about his or her favorite song at a given moment. The second is known as indirect voluntary control and refers to acts which are such that although a person lacks direct voluntary control over them, he or she can cause them to happen if he or she chooses to perform some number of other, intermediate actions. For instance, a person untrained in music has indirect voluntary control over whether he or she will play a melody on a violin. Corresponding to this distinction between two kinds of voluntary control, philosophers distinguish between two kinds of doxastic voluntarism. Direct doxastic voluntarism claims that people have direct voluntary control over at least some of their beliefs. Indirect doxastic voluntarism, however, supposes that people have indirect voluntary control over at least some of their beliefs, for example, by doing research and evaluating evidence." "http://www.iep.utm.edu/doxa-vol/"

Somewhat clearer, JS. I definitely believe we have voluntary control over our beliefs as long as we're conscious and rational.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
11 Mar 14

Originally posted by Great King Rat
Did Russ threaten to ban you if you didn't include him?
GKR, I've been given a few short term forum bans [for Forum Guideline infractions] since 2007 by the Good Cop Moderators who report to Russ whose authority I've always accepted. Russ was included on this list by God the moment of his birth.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
11 Mar 14

Originally posted by FabianFnas
I'm not sure that heaven is a nice place. I'm not very fond of harps and psalms.
I rather think about nirvana. Can you perhaps arrange for my presence there when my time comes...?

"I'm not very fond of harps and psalms" either. Besides conversation and chess, what else would make it an ideal 'heaven'?

Moves
11 Mar 14

Now I repeat the last relevant comment on this thread.

Well, I still find no belief in deity when I introspect. However I am a believer in indirect doxastic voluntarism.

Has none of you the slightest curiosity?

It's all about ...[text shortened]... tely believe we have voluntary control over our beliefs as long as we're conscious and rational.
" I definitely believe we have voluntary control over our beliefs as long as we're conscious and rational."

Thanks.

The above belief would be an example of direct doxastic voluntarism. 🙂

Unless of course, while you were lacking that belief (if you ever did), you chose to go through experiences (studies, discussions, etc.) that you thought might bring about that belief in you. That would be an example of indirect doxastic voluntarism.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
12 Mar 14

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Guess I'm good then - I believed in all the Jesus stuff for 20 years. And I still believe there was a real person named Jesus back in the day. I just don't think he can offer anyone salvation from anything, what with him being dead for a very long time.
Originally posted by SwissGambit

SG, how long was Christ's Body in the tomb loaned to the disciples by Joseph of Arimathea? Three days as prophesied. If in a moment of time you believed in the Person of Christ [whose work made it possible for God the Father to offer the free Grace Gift of Salvation; Personal Relationship with Himself; sharing His Perfect Happiness and Eternal Life to all mankind], you became a spiritually born Child of God and Member of His Royal Family [with body and soul and a Human Spirit. Once sealed by the Holy Spirit, you're family [whether you learn the Word of God and mature by the renovation of your mind in acquiring the Mind of Christ or become shipwrecked as Paul described those with confused priorities or remain an infant].

"The Empty Tomb": "20 Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene *came early to the tomb, while it *was still dark, and *saw the stone already taken away from the tomb. 2 So she *ran and *came to Simon Peter and to the other disciple whom Jesus loved, and *said to them, “They have taken away the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid Him.” 3 So Peter and the other disciple went forth, and they were going to the tomb. 4 The two were running together; and the other disciple ran ahead faster than Peter and came to the tomb first; 5 and stooping and looking in, he *saw the linen wrappings lying there; but he did not go in. 6 And so Simon Peter also *came, following him, and entered the tomb; and he *saw the linen wrappings lying there, 7 and the face-cloth which had been on His head, not lying with the linen wrappings, but rolled up in a place by itself. 8 So the other disciple who had first come to the tomb then also entered, and he saw and believed. 9 For as yet they did not understand the Scripture, that He must rise again from the dead. 10 So the disciples went away again to their own homes.

11 But Mary was standing outside the tomb weeping; and so, as she wept, she stooped and looked into the tomb; 12 and she *saw two angels in white sitting, one at the head and one at the feet, where the body of Jesus had been lying. 13 And they *said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping?” She *said to them, “Because they have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid Him.” 14 When she had said this, she turned around and *saw Jesus standing there, and did not know that it was Jesus. 15 Jesus *said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?” Supposing Him to be the gardener, she *said to Him, “Sir, if you have carried Him away, tell me where you have laid Him, and I will take Him away.” 16 Jesus *said to her, “Mary!” She turned and *said to Him in [a] Hebrew, “Rabboni!” (which means, Teacher). 17 Jesus *said to her, “Stop clinging to Me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, ‘I ascend to My Father and your Father, and My God and your God.’” 18 Mary Magdalene *came, announcing to the disciples, “I have seen the Lord,” and that He had said these things to her.

"Jesus among His Disciples": 19 So when it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and when the doors were shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and *said to them, “[b) Peace be with you.” 20 And when He had said this, He showed them both His hands and His side. The disciples then rejoiced when they saw the Lord. 21 So Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you; as the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” 22 And when He had said this, He breathed on them and *said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive the sins of any, their sins [c] have been forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they have been retained.”

24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called [d] Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 So the other disciples were saying to him, “We have seen the Lord!” But he said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the imprint of the nails, and put my finger into the place of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.”

26 [e] After eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus *came, the doors having been [f] shut, and stood in their midst and said, “Peace be with you.” 27 Then He *said to Thomas, “Reach here with your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it into My side; and do not be unbelieving, but believing.” 28 Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!” 29 Jesus *said to him, “Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed.”

"Why This Gospel Was Written": 30 Therefore many other [g] signs Jesus also performed in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is [h] the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name." John 20 New American Standard Bible

Footnotes: a.John 20:16 I.e. Jewish Aramaic; b.John 20:19 Lit Peace to you; c.John 20:23 I.e. have previously been forgiven; d.John 20:24 I.e. the Twin; e.John 20:26 Or A week later; f.John 20:26 Or locked; g.John 20:30 Or attesting miracles; h.John 20:31 I.e. the Messiah

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
12 Mar 14
2 edits

" I definitely believe we have voluntary control over our beliefs as long as we're conscious and rational."

Thanks.

Unless of course, while you were lacking that belief (if you ever did), you chose to go through experiences (studies, discussions, etc.) that you thought might bring about that belief in you. That would be an example of indirect doxastic voluntarism.

Thanks.

JS, my own pilgrim's progress went from a mild curiosity to an intensifying awareness of the possibility that an all knowing, powerful and knowable personal God existed and always did exist [God Consciousness] to an earnest desire to know Him if He did. Next I was given information similar to this thread's original post in simple words a nine year old boy could clearly understand [Gospel Hearing]; it was received as great news. I said: "Yes, Father; I do believe in your only Son Jesus Christ".

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
12 Mar 14

Sidebar: "Here's a delightful legend that makes the point very well: I love the old story of the rich man who, on his death bed, negotiated with God to allow him to bring his earthly treasures with him when he came to heaven. God's reaction was that this was a most unusual request, but since this man had been exceptionally faithful, permission was granted to bring along just one suitcase. The time arrived, the man presented himself at the pearly gates, suitcase in hand- BOTH hands, actually, since he had stuffed it with as many bars of gold bullion as would fit. St. Peter said, "Sorry, you know the rules-you can't take it with you." But the man protested, "God said I could … one suitcase." St. Peter checked, found out that this one would be an exception, prepared to let the man enter, then said, "OK, but I will have to examine the contents before you pass." He took the suitcase, opened it, saw the gold bars and asked quizzically, "You brought

PAVEMENT?
" [Note: This story is from the sermon "Heaven" by Dr. David Leininger, March 30, 1997]" -Dr. Ray Pritchard lol

http://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-study/topical-studies/what-is-heaven-like-11636670.html

Cape Town

Moves
13 Mar 14

[bJS, my own pilgrim's progress went from a mild curiosity to an intensifying awareness of the possibility that an all knowing, powerful and knowable personal God existed and always did exist [God Consciousness] to an earnest desire to know Him if He did.[/b]
That does not, to me, sound like you chose to believe. The belief was in fact forced upon you by the evidence or whatever else that caused this 'awareness' in you.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
13 Mar 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
That does not, to me, sound like you chose to believe. The belief was in fact forced upon you by the evidence or whatever else that caused this 'awareness' in you.
Originally posted by twhitehead

Your belief "That does not, to me, sound like you chose to believe.... was in fact forced upon you by the evidence or whatever else that caused this 'awareness' in you." after reading an accurate account of a young boy's discovery.

"In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't." -Pascal

F

Moves
13 Mar 14
1 edit

"I'm not very fond of harps and psalms" either. Besides conversation and chess, what else would make it an ideal 'heaven'?
Why are you so sure there is a heaven at all? Has anyone returned from there and told us about it?