Our Ancestors are not Apes

Our Ancestors are not Apes

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t

Moves
20 Oct 10

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
reason, self consciousness, the ability and desire to create, etc

not physical appearance. maybe it was a mistranslation of the original text. maybe the authors lacked the language to describe what god was conveying. (assuming of course that god influenced this thought).

it is logical that, should the verse be true, that we are indeed made in god's image, image is understood as not physical resemblance but spiritual, intelectual resemblance.
Please view the thread "This inquiring mind would like to know".

ALL IS CONSCIOUSNESS, therefore REALITY is -only- of the spiritual substance.

Z

Moves
22 Oct 10

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Yes, dear fellow traveller, but when most christians hear " We are created in Gods image? " Do you think they're thinking physical or intellectual/spiritual?

i mean the word is "image", like the one in the mirror. Yes maybe the authors couldn't translate properly. I prefer "essence".
people need to escape the labels they are under. as chris rock said : "be a person" think for yourself. create your own opinions. we will then have hindus who will kill a mad cow, we will have muslims who will drink a beer with their friends, and christians who will laugh at noah's story and the waky things barbaric ancient people invent.

AH

Moves
22 Oct 10

Originally posted by tacoandlettuce
Please view the thread "This inquiring mind would like to know".

ALL IS CONSCIOUSNESS, therefore REALITY is -only- of the spiritual substance.
Not sure what you mean by that:
Is, say, your computer “CONSCIOUSNESS” and “-only- of the spiritual substance” ?
Does your computer exist?

t

Moves
22 Oct 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
Is, say, your computer “CONSCIOUSNESS” and “-only- of the spiritual substance” ?
Everything we come in contact with of what appears to be known as matter is an idea, therefore in a material sense an illusion to the senses.

This is how Christ was able to, after they were far out to shore, and he turned around with an acknowledged "thought" that the ship was back to shore, it was!

AH

Moves
24 Oct 10

Originally posted by tacoandlettuce
Everything we come in contact with of what appears to be known as matter is an idea, therefore in a material sense an illusion to the senses.

This is how Christ was able to, after they were far out to shore, and he turned around with an acknowledged "thought" that the ship was back to shore, it was!
“...Everything we come in contact with of what appears to be known as matter is an idea, therefore in a material sense an illusion to the senses. ...”

How do you know that our perception of matter generally corresponds to a physical presence of matter that is independent of your perception of that matter?
After all, this seems to be a very reasonable assumption given the fact we cannot control what matter we apparently perceive merely by control of our own thoughts on it (for example, I cannot make a perception of an apple in front of me appear just by wishing it or thinking about it) -that would appear to be an indication that one is independent of the other -right?
In other words, what is the premise of your belief that everything we come in contact with of what appears to be known as matter is JUST “an idea” that has no physical presence of matter that is independent of your perception of it?

“...This is how Christ was able to, after they were far out to shore, and he turned around with an acknowledged "thought" that the ship was back to shore, it was! ...”

That is just one of many such absurd stories written in the scriptures.
Why have I and anyone that isn't a religious nut that I know of ever seen such absurd incidences happen in these modern times of scientific understanding?

P

Moves
28 Nov 10

"Made in the image of God" is clearly biblical

a couple tough topics to iron out so you reconcile what is
in nature to the theology:

atavisms - humans can be rarely born with tails - fits
evolution theory or else how is it that that much DNA
info to define a tail is dormant in the human genome?

Human Laryngeal Nerve - the nerve to our voice box
detours down near our heart under the aorta - fits evolution
w/r other animals and patterns of their nerves but difficult to
see why God designed such a nerve path

Cape Town

Moves
28 Nov 10

I find it so funny that vishvahetu, who is quite content with the fact that in a past life he might have been a beetle or ape, has a problem with the concept that his current body might have been descended from one.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
28 Nov 10
2 edits

he is right. we are made in the image of god. but while some believe this means god is a pink and black and asian human with really awesome powers, i choose to believe "image" is something more. that we have conscience, intelligence, free will. that we can distinguish between right and wrong.
We (our essences) were made from the same stuff that god is made of - "conciosness"
Thats my interpretation of "made in gods image". "Image" refers to a manifested thing that is subject to the second law of thermodynamiccs.
The message I get is that we all have the godseed which has the potential to flower into "god". We have a reflection of a scource of light, like the moon is a pure reflection of the pure light of the Sun.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
28 Nov 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Pete9
"Made in the image of God" is clearly biblical

a couple tough topics to iron out so you reconcile what is
in nature to the theology:

atavisms - humans can be rarely born with tails - fits
evolution theory or else how is it that that much DNA
info to define a tail is dormant in the human genome?

Human Laryngeal Nerve - the nerve to our voice box
...[text shortened]... animals and patterns of their nerves but difficult to
see why God designed such a nerve path
Thats a good example. I believe Andrew brought it up, and I have also come across it elsewhere.

To me it shows that we are like pets to god. We cannot fathom her reasons for making things the way they are.
Noteably, in 99% of cases "God" has taken the best approach to design life, but there are enough anomolies to be mentioned, for sure.

Anyway the basic story is that we are and are'nt descended from apes. Depending on what your orientation is. Of course chrsitians will have a third alternative, but thats false so lets concentrate on the real possiblities of the origins fof mankind.

Basically our dna confirms that we are built upon organisms that were already here. Our dna was descended from apes. Period.
Now, my contention is that these apes, ( a certain group), were "experimented" upon and "given" greater imtelligence. (Now I think this "intelligence may have evolved over time and was not just an overnight thing. For many reasons this makes sense).
This "fusion" between our terrestrial ape-brothers and dna from our "space brothers" has produced us.

This scenario anwers more questions for me, more adequately, than the other two competing theories

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
28 Nov 10

people need to escape the labels they are under. as chris rock said : "be a person" think for yourself. create your own opinions. we will then have hindus who will kill a mad cow, we will have muslims who will drink a beer with their friends, and christians who will laugh at noah's story and the waky things barbaric ancient people invent.
Yes. First understand what the label means. Do not try to distance yourself from it. Be a person. And the label will slide off.

"waky things barbaric ancient people invent" , wht'd you mean by that?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
28 Nov 10

Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
Alll is conciosness ,('spiriutal' in the sense that it is not material), it just feels solid (the pc in question) ,when you touch it, because it is vibrating at such a slow speed that you can feel it.
This slow vibrational speed matches your thinking/conciosness. On higher planes of conciousness one must be responsible at all times for ones thoughts, because they can manifest instantaneaously. Until we reach that level of responsibility , we will remain here in the third dimension, where there is a delay betweeen thought and materialization.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
28 Nov 10

Thats a good example. I believe Andrew brought it up, and I have also come across it elsewhere.

To me it shows that we are like pets to god. We cannot fathom her reasons for making things the way they are.
Noteably, in 99% of cases "God" has taken the best approach to design life, but there are enough anomolies to be mentioned, for sure.

Anyway ...[text shortened]... anwers more questions for me, more adequately, than the other two competing theories
If it is your contention that we have been experimented on and as a result have 'greater intelligence', how did our space brothers get their intelligence? Were they experimented on?

Z

Moves
29 Nov 10

Yes. First understand what the label means. Do not try to distance yourself from it. Be a person. And the label will slide off.

"waky things barbaric ancient people invent" , wht'd you mean by that?
humans desire patterns. it is conditioned in them. the ape that noticed a movement in the bush behind it, thought it was a tiger and got the fuk out of there (even if perhaps it was mistaken) got to live while the ape that payed no attention to it didn't.

we are punished if we fail to see patterns while noticing wrong ones doesn't come with a high price. in short, better think there is a tiger where there isn't one rather than ignore the low chance there is a tiger behind you right now.

from my point of view (as a christian) i believe god spoke to some people. maybe abe, maybe moses, we do not know for sure. i believe god saw the apes behaving like beasts and thought they could use some tips on how to live a better life. i do not believe however that god wanted to govern every second of our lives, to tell us the "correct" manner in which to kill a cow or something. nor do i think that every disaster or boon was given by him. and as such, because of the above mentioned need for finding patterns, the ancient people started adding to god's word. the flood that almost wiped out their tribe became a worldwide phenomenon and it happened because men were evil. the reason for suffering in the world isn't the randomness of it but a punishment for the original people (adam and eve) being jerks. and so on.

now we have evolved to the point were we don't need to force patterns. we can reason without these "play it safe" bets. that is why we need to see what is needed from our past thoughts and what can be discarded.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
30 Nov 10

Originally posted by Proper Knob
If it is your contention that we have been experimented on and as a result have 'greater intelligence', how did our space brothers get their intelligence? Were they experimented on?
Well this is where the story gets ...er....restricted.
As far as I've been able to research it anyway.

The point that seems to keep coming back to is that essentially we are not supposed to be interfered with. It is not part of universal law. A planet must be ready. The people must be fully matured on their own accord, not by some intervention.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
30 Nov 10

Well this is where the story gets ...er....restricted.
As far as I've been able to research it anyway.

The point that seems to keep coming back to is that essentially we are not supposed to be interfered with. It is not part of universal law. A planet must be ready. The people must be fully matured on their own accord, not by some intervention.
But in a very real way We ,(you and I), will probably meet aliens.
Now the host of questions that may arise (from such a dubious contention), are numerous.
But is we , on a personal and communal level that must ask the right questions in order to advance. Its that simple and difficult.
What is it that you see and do everyday? What is that over there? It is all the same thing.
We differentiate it so we can transcend it and remember who we are...