1. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '11 09:30
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Good God man! Posting such an inflamatory subject as Christians eating pancakes!! Come to your senses Rob!

😛
    lol, i know, thinkofone is planning to have me burnt at the stake while FMF publicly reads my list of crimes!
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Mar '11 09:31
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    Give me sugar and lemon juice any day of the week, well on Tuesdays at least, anyway.
    seconded ... provided they are not thick and stodgy
  3. St. Peter's
    Moves
    08 Mar '11 11:17
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Just out of curiosity do any of you guys celebrate or practice lent?
    yes
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '11 11:27
    Its actually very simple FMF, the act of homosexuality, more specifically sodomy for those wishing to get technical, is condemned throughout scripture, eating pancakes is not.
    When did Jesus condemn it? Almost all Christians pick and choose as they see fit from the OT, so leave that out of it. And I am not going to be convinced by Paul and his post-Jesus efforts to set up Corporate Christianity. When did Jesus condemn homosexuality?
  5. e4
    Moves
    08 Mar '11 11:38
    Just out of curiosity do any of you guys celebrate or practice lent?
    Of course not.

Like all good Christians I've picked out the good bits.
    Christmas (loads of pressies), Easter (choco eggs) and Pancake Day.

Anything that requires effort, self sacrifice or interferes
    with my Sunday morning lay in I totally ignore.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '11 11:43
    eating pancakes is not [condemned throughout scripture].
    Oh. So it's fine for JWs to participate in pagan rites or commemorations? The JW that TOO quoted was deviating from JW doctrine? Your version is the correct interpretation?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '11 11:52
    Originally posted by FMF
    When did Jesus condemn it? Almost all Christians pick and choose as they see fit from the OT, so leave that out of it. And I am not going to be convinced by Paul and his post-Jesus efforts to set up Corporate Christianity. When did Jesus condemn homosexuality?
    On what basis are you willing to disregard the principles of the Mosaic law? and those as espoused by Paul? that they condemn the act and nothing more, simply because its inconvenient for you? because you wish to establish your own morality which supersedes that of scripture? do tell! Simply because the Christ does not mention it specifically is neither here nor there and is a very convenient if weak argument used by so called liberalists to water down the Biblical condemnation of the act, for it uses as its basis that which is omitted, not what is actually written. Never the less, Christ himself alludes to the divinely instituted arrangement of marriage in which he upholds the creation record, stating that it is for men and women, exclusively. As a Jew he would have upheld the mosaic Law which condemns the act with the utmost severity.
  8. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    08 Mar '11 11:58
    On what basis are you willing to disregard the principles of the Mosaic law? and those as espoused by Paul? that they condemn the act and nothing more, simply because its inconvenient for you? because you wish to establish your own morality which supersedes that of scripture? do tell! Simply because the Christ does not mention it specifically is n ...[text shortened]... . As a Jew he would have upheld the mosaic Law which condemns the act with the utmost severity.
    I would at least have thought he is able to disregard the mosaic law, with respect to any conversation with yourself, based on the fact you claim (with respect to other matters) that the mosaic law is no longer binding!
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '11 11:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    Oh. So it's fine for JWs to participate in pagan rites or commemorations? The JW that TOO quoted was deviating from JW doctrine? Your version is the correct interpretation?
    No its not, but who is participating in pagan rites? I have explained to the thinkofone in vain, that there are many principles which may come into play, which he, having no knowledge of, fails to comment upon and simply wishes to make rules governing every instance, like the Pharisees of old. For example if i choose to eat pancakes on Pancake Tuesday because i like pancakes, is it really the case that i am engaging in a pagan rite, is it? If I am a waiter and I accept a Christmas tip because people like to celebrate it and give things am i really celebrating Christmas, am I? do tell FMF, what principle might a discerning Christian need to weigh in his conscience?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '11 12:00
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I would at least have thought he is able to disregard the mosaic law, with respect to any conversation with yourself, based on the fact you claim (with respect to other matters) that the mosaic law is no longer binding!
    not quite Agers, for when I state that its ordinances are no longer binding, that does not mean that the principles no longer are. You need to understand the difference between a law and a principle.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '11 12:02
    Originally posted by Doward
    yes
    will you physically put ash on your forehead and fast?
  12. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    08 Mar '11 12:071 edit
    not quite Agers, for when I state that its ordinances are no longer binding, that does not mean that the principles no longer are. You need to understand the difference between a law and a principle.
    Is there any clear, unambiguous demarcation line between what is a principle (a guideline so to speak), and what was a (now void) law written in to your Bible on these matters? Or is it the case you individually decide for yourselves?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '11 12:07
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Of course not.

Like all good Christians I've picked out the good bits.
    Christmas (loads of pressies), Easter (choco eggs) and Pancake Day.

Anything that requires effort, self sacrifice or interferes
    with my Sunday morning lay in I totally ignore.
    Pancake day, mmmmmmm
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '11 12:113 edits
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Is there any clear, unambiguous demarcation line between what is a principle (a guideline so to speak), and what was a (now void) law written in to your Bible on these matters? Or is it the case you individually decide for yourself?
    The ordinances are gone, we no longer sacrifice animals, stone people to death for adultery, need to run to a city of refuge if we accidentally kill someone etc, the principles are still binding though, we offer a different type of sacrifice, one with our lips (a sacrifice of praise), adultery is still wrong, the circumstances of unintentional manslaughter still need to be investigated etc.
  15. St. Peter's
    Moves
    08 Mar '11 12:15
    will you physically put ash on your forehead and fast?
    yes

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree