1. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 17:572 edits
    Tomorrow is Pancake Tuesday, or perhaps Shrove Tuesday depending where you are from. It was initially viewed as a festive day before the beginning of lent in which Catholics traditionally fast (my experience is they give up stuff they dont really like anyway), never the less , this is the single most important contribution my father, a Roman Catholic has made to my spiritual upbringing and I thank him and Catholicism for it. Pancakes, mmmmm, how do you like yours? warm or cold, with butter or syrup?
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 18:08
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Tomorrow is Pancake Tuesday, or perhaps Shrove Tuesday depending where you are from. It was initially viewed as a festive day before the beginning of lent in which Catholics traditionally fast (my experience is they give up stuff they dont really like anyway), never the less , this is the single most important contribution my father, a Roman Catholi ...[text shortened]... Catholicism for it. Pancakes, mmmmm, how do you like yours? warm or cold, with butter or syrup?
    Does the following JW have his facts right? If so, aren't you celebrating a holiday you shouldn't?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_dont_Jehovah's_Witnesses_celebrate_Pancake_Day
    Q:Why dont Jehovah's Witnesses celebrate Pancake Day?

A: Honestly, when I first read this question, I had never heard of Pancake Day, since I live in the US, and I actually thought it was a joke. But I did the research and found that it isn't a joke. There really is a Pancake Day. Once I did the research, I realized why we would not celebrate this holiday.
    Many call this holiday Shrove Tuesday. It is actually from the same origin as Fat Tuesday here in the states. It is connected to carnaval. Pancake Day, Shrove Tuesday, or fat Tuesday is a day of celebration, just before Lent. I am explaining this for the benefit of other readers that, like me, never heard of Pancake Day.

Since it is connected to a pagan celebration, Carnaval, whether some say it has been "christianized" or not, it is still from pagan roots. Jehovah's Witnesses will not support or engage in any festival or celebration in any way whatsoever that comes from religion that does not give honor to the God of the Bible.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 18:18
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Does the following JW have his facts right? If so, aren't you celebrating a holiday you shouldn't?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_dont_Jehovah's_Witnesses_celebrate_Pancake_Day
    Q:Why dont Jehovah's Witnesses celebrate Pancake Day?

A: Honestly, when I first read this question, I had never heard of Pancake Day, since I live in the US, and I a ...[text shortened]... ver that comes from religion that does not give honor to the God of the Bible.
    So if my wife happens to dish me up some pancakes, merely by coincidence tomorrow i should say, i cannot partake, i hardly think so! yeah for pancakes!

As to the details of your actual post, i know not what the festival purports to be, it merely mention a Carnival, never the less, if one through study does find that it has pagan roots and his conscience will therefore not allow him to engage in the festival, then his stance is good. It must be noted that there are various festivals where the discerning Christian must ascertain whether it is from a purely pagan source and therefore cannot partake, the Besant kite flying festival in march is quite clearly of Hindu origin and therefore the Christian remains obligated to desist.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 18:384 edits
    So if my wife happens to dish me up some pancakes, merely by coincidence tomorrow i should say, i cannot partake, i hardly think so! yeah for pancakes!

As to the details of your actual post, i know not what the festival purports to be, it merely mention a Carnival, never the less, if one through study does find that it has pagan roots and his cons ...[text shortened]... march is quite clearly of Hindu origin and therefore the Christian remains obligated to desist.
    Kind of like if she "happens" to serve colored hard boiled eggs on Easter? Or bakes a cake on your birthday?

It's not "a carnaval". It's a specific celebration and is thus capitalized and is spelled differently from "carnival" . Here's some info on Carnival. :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival
    Carnival is a festive season which occurs immediately before Lent...
    Carnival is a festival traditionally held in Roman Catholic and, to a lesser extent, Eastern Orthodox societies. Protestant areas usually do not have carnival celebrations or have modified traditions, such as the Danish Carnival or other Shrove Tuesday events...While it forms an integral part of the Christian calendar, particularly in Catholic regions, some carnival traditions may date back to pre-Christian times. The ancient Roman festivals of Saturnalia and Bacchanalia may possibly have been absorbed into the Italian Carnival. The Saturnalia, in turn, may be based on the Greek Dionysia and Oriental festivals
  5. St. Peter's
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 18:38
    Tomorrow is Pancake Tuesday, or perhaps Shrove Tuesday depending where you are from. It was initially viewed as a festive day before the beginning of lent in which Catholics traditionally fast (my experience is they give up stuff they dont really like anyway), never the less , this is the single most important contribution my father, a Roman Catholi ...[text shortened]... Catholicism for it. Pancakes, mmmmm, how do you like yours? warm or cold, with butter or syrup?
    butter and drenched with maple syrup 🙂
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 23:27
    Originally posted by Doward
    butter and drenched with maple syrup 🙂
    ohhh, butter and syrup! I like mine piping hot almost burnt with oodles of melted butter on top.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 23:30
    Cold? Are you feeling okay?

Butter AND syrup, please.

And blueberries. 😀
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 23:30
    Kind of like if she "happens" to serve colored hard boiled eggs on Easter? Or bakes a cake on your birthday?

It's not "a carnaval". It's a specific celebration and is thus capitalized and is spelled differently from "carnival" . Here's some info on Carnival. :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival
    Carnival is a festive season which occurs im ...[text shortened]... rnalia, in turn, may be based on the Greek Dionysia and Oriental festivals
    [/b]
    well one must paint the eggs which is a deliberate act , as is decorating a birthday cake.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 23:32
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Cold? Are you feeling okay?

Butter AND syrup, please.

And blueberries. 😀
    it must be an American thing i reckon, butter and syrup. Yes we sometimes have them cold with butter and a cup of coffee. Last year my father grew the biggest fastest blueberries you ever did see, we love them!
  10. In your face
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 23:33
    Give me sugar and lemon juice any day of the week, well on Tuesdays at least, anyway.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 23:37
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    Give me sugar and lemon juice any day of the week, well on Tuesdays at least, anyway.
    sweet and sour jimmy, that how you like it! intwesting combo!
  12. St. Peter's
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 23:48
    sweet and sour jimmy, that how you like it! intwesting combo!
    they're good with peanut butter and honey as well.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 23:541 edit
    well one must paint the eggs which is a deliberate act , as is decorating a birthday cake.
    I didn't say anything about "decorating a birthday cake". Regardless, Consuming pancakes is also a "deliberate act". Consuming pancakes on Pancake Tuesday is a "deliberate act".

Here's some more info you might find interesting:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrove_Tuesday
    In the United Kingdom and many other countries, the day is often known as Pancake Day. Making and eating such foods was considered a last feast with ingredients such as sugar, fat and eggs, whose consumption was traditionally restricted during the ritual fasting associated with Lent.

So you'll basically be deliberately participating in a pre-Lenten feast. A feast which is directly tied to Lent which, as I understand it, is not to be observed by JWs.

As I understand it, Thanksgiving is not to be observed by JWs in the US. I wonder how many JW households refrain from observing it by eating a meal with turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, etc.

Can you spell h-y-p-o-c-r-i-s-y? Sure you can.
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    08 Mar '11 00:20
    Warm, with various jams, jellies or marmalades.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '11 00:312 edits
    I didn't say anything about "decorating a birthday cake". Regardless, Consuming pancakes is also a "deliberate act". Consuming pancakes on Pancake Tuesday is a "deliberate act".

Here's some more info you might find interesting:
    [quote]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrove_Tuesday
    In the United Kingdom and many other countries, the day is often known a sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, etc.

Can you spell h-y-p-o-c-r-i-s-y? Sure you can.
    haha, your knickers are so twisted trying to dish the dirt that you of course fail to take into consideration those households which are divided and the various principles which might apply thereof. Surely taking your reasoning to its logical conclusion, then if its my birthday i should refrain from eating all cakes, including those my wife baked, or of refraining to eat a meal with my mother and father on Christmas simply because it happens to be Christmas day and they have a Christmas dinner. Do you know how to spell the word Pharisee? Sure you do! Again these instances highlight your self righteous and condemnatory attitude in complete opposition to the revealed word of God, which states,

(Ecclesiastes 7:16) . . .Do not become righteous overmuch, nor show yourself excessively wise. Why should you cause desolation to yourself. . .

(Philippians 4:5) . . .Let your reasonableness become known to all men. . .

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree