Pancake Tuesday

Pancake Tuesday

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
08 Mar 11
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
The Dutch General seeking excuses for the unwillingness of the straight men under his charge to do their military duty properly, sought to blame homosexual soldiers... to blame THEM for the prejudice that they were subjected to by those straight soldiers... which resulted in failure of the unit, and which resulted in the death of thousands of civilians in the Yu t to scapegoat homosexuals. And, as you freely admit, you were "merely echoing the General".
actually i thought you were referring to the American general, who cited his own experience in front of the congressional committee.

rc

Moves
08 Mar 11
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
You pick and choose the principles. Let me quote President Bartlett citing the OT:

[quote]I’m interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She’s a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be? While thinking about that, can I ask a or anachronistic ordinance or prohibition pertaining to sexual orientation be abolished too.
what it is about the difference between a law which is no longer binding and a principle which may be derived from said law that yet evades you FMF? We are no longer under the Mosaic, citing an example of someone attempting to use the Mosaic law with an imaginary scenario in order to establish a point is a nonsense, for it is no longer binding upon Christians. Why this should be so hard to understand I have no idea?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
08 Mar 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
what it is about the difference between a law which is no longer binding and a principle which may be derived from said law that yet evades you FMF? We are no longer under the Mosaic, citing an example of someone attempting to use the Mosaic law with an imaginary scenario in order to establish a point is a nonsense, for it is no longer binding upon Christians. Why this should be so hard to understand I have no idea?
I'm assuming you missed my question -

Have you ever had a conversation with a gay person about their sexuality?

D

St. Peter's

Moves
08 Mar 11

I like pancakes....

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
08 Mar 11

Originally posted by Doward
I like pancakes....
I've forgotten how good they are.

Changing the subject, what are your views on homosexuality Doward?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 Mar 11

My son is gay (homosexual) and I love him very much.
I agree with the Christ who said, "He who is without sin
cast the first stone." But that does not do away with the
10 commandments. We still need to turn to the only
sinless person, the Son of God, for salvation from
eternal damnation. That's the truth, regardless of what
you wont to be true. You have no right to cast stones at
anyone, but you have the free will to do whatever you
wish.

With love and truth,
RJHinds

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
08 Mar 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
My son is gay (homosexual) and I love him very much.
I agree with the Christ who said, "He who is without sin
cast the first stone." But that does not do away with the
10 commandments. We still need to turn to the only
sinless person, the Son of God, for salvation from
eternal damnation. That's the truth, regardless of what
you wont to be true. You h ...[text shortened]... anyone, but you have the free will to do whatever you
wish.

With love and truth,
RJHinds
Interesting input Mr Hinds.

Do you think your son chooses to be gay? How does his homosexuality marry with your Christian views?

rc

Moves
08 Mar 11
1 edit

Originally posted by Proper Knob
I'm assuming you missed my question -

Have you ever had a conversation with a gay person about their sexuality?
Yes i have, however i did not need to brooch the subject at all, for having been in the company of homosexuals they made no qualms about it. You seem to forget that i did leave the house when i was seventeen and lived in the West end of Glasgow for numerous years. In my first ever bed sit there were two practising homosexuals, one a Dutch lady, the other a hotel manager.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
08 Mar 11

Yes i have, however i did not need to brooch the subject at all, for having been in the company of homosexuals they made no qualms about it. You seem to forget that i did leave the house when i was seventeen and lived in the West end of Glasgow for numerous years. In my first ever bed sit there were two practising homosexuals, one a Dutch lady, the other a hotel manager.
And what did these people tell you about their sexuality during the course of your conversations?

Also, have you always had these views regarding homosexuals, or only since becoming a JW?

D

St. Peter's

Moves
08 Mar 11

I've forgotten how good they are.

Changing the subject, what are your views on homosexuality Doward?
I believe people are born with their particular sexual orientation, and that God doesn't make mistakes.

rc

Moves
08 Mar 11
11 edits

And what did these people tell you about their sexuality during the course of your conversations?

Also, have you always had these views regarding homosexuals, or only since becoming a JW?
They expressed which men they fancied, like i was interested, stating that this one or that one was desirous??. I found them to be rather droll if i do say so myself. I actually got the feeling that they thought i might be shocked, when in reality, i was bored. When i have engaged in the house to house work i have also been propositioned by a homosexual, a gay Quaker in fact. I asked a sister to call back instead to thwart his designs.

What views about homosexuals? I have said nothing about homosexuals, but of the specific act and the movement which has sought to politicise their morality while infringing upon others rights to exercise their own consciences, perhaps you are unable to differentiate the two in your mind.

Are you stating that inconclusive science has not been used? That the civil rights movement has not been hijacked, that people have not lost their jobs, that hoteliers have not been prosecuted? That the gnome has not been mapped and that a so called gay gene has not been found? Thus you resort to the very same line of reasoning which the born again Christians use to justify their faith, personal testimony, which of course cannot be corroborated, nor disputed for that matter.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
08 Mar 11
1 edit

They expressed which men they fancied, like i was interested, stating that this one or that one was desirous??. I found them to be rather droll if i do say so myself. I actually got the feeling that they thought i might be shocked, when in reality, i was bored. When i have been engaged in the house to house work i have also been propositioned by h ...[text shortened]... faith, personal testimony, which of course cannot be corroborated, nor disputed for that matter.
Firstly, when i say 'conversation about their sexuality', i don't mean who they fancy and what they're wearing on a night out. But questions pertaining to their sexuality like, when did they know they were gay? Is their sexuality a choice? When did they 'come out'? What do their parents think? etc etc Meaningful questions.

Secondly, you believe homosexuality is a lifestyle choice, people choose to be gay or straight. Have you always held that view?

As for the genome remark, yes, the human genome has been mapped, but that is the key word, mapped. How genes work and what effect they have on us is not understood, it's an ongoing process and will take many years. So redundant point.

Edit - 11 edits? I'm trying to respond and everytime it's changed!!

rc

Moves
08 Mar 11
6 edits

Firstly, when i say 'conversation about their sexuality', i don't mean who they fancy and what they're wearing on a night out. But questions pertaining to their sexuality like, when did they know they were gay? Is their sexuality a choice? When did they 'come out'? What do their parents think? etc etc Meaningful questions.

Secondly, you believe homose redundant point.

Edit - 11 edits? I'm trying to respond and everytime it's changed!!
Actually I do remember having a conversation like that but the details are very vague, all i can remember, for its such a time ago was their unwillingness to go to certain cities for they were reputed to have a preponderance of HIV. I wouldn't describe it as meaningful, no.

Actually where i come from, its a very anti gay city, you can get beat up for being gay, i was almost beat up myself once when two neds and their girlfriends mistook me for a gay person simply because i was walking through Kelvingrove park late at night, which is a notorious pick up point for gays, but i lived near there for goodness sake! So to ask if I had this view before, i would honestly have to admit that i was less sympathetic than previously, we just didn't tolerate it where i was growing up, no way. In fact, the kids where i live still say stuff like, 'that's pure gay', to slag off their friends. Saying that there is a young dude across the road, Tommy, whose sexuality is in stages of transitions one could say and the kids like him cause he can do back flips and stuff. I dont mind him one bit, in fact i asked him to teach my own kid to do back flips, it is pretty cool, reminds me of Tony Jaa, some of the stuff he can do. He paints his nails, dyes his hair and wears make-up.

Yes 11 edits, its an ongoing process, like the gnome 😉

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 Mar 11

Yes, I know my son chooses to be gay, now.
I believe he was born with that inclination.
The standard Christian view is that it was not
meant to be that way in the beginning; just as
it was not meant for a person to be born blind
in the beginning. I personally have no problem
with it, since flaunt his sexuality anymore than
I do. Looking back at my past, he seems to be
a much better person than I was. So I feel I
have no room to be critical.

With love,
RJHinds

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
08 Mar 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
Yes, I know my son chooses to be gay, now.
I believe he was born with that inclination.
The standard Christian view is that it was not
meant to be that way in the beginning; just as
it was not meant for a person to be born blind
in the beginning. I personally have no problem
with it, since flaunt his sexuality anymore than
I do. Looking back at my p ...[text shortened]... much better person than I was. So I feel I
have no room to be critical.

With love,
RJHinds
Thanks for the reply.

I'm a little confused by it though. You say your son chooses to be gay (now), yet you go on to say you believe he was born with this inclination. Surely that's a contradiction?!