part 3 of 3 for howardgee

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
28 Jul 06
1 edit

I still liked partying and did not want to stop, I was going to school on the old GI bill, staying at my parents house, working as a summer help pipe fitter making $14.40 an hour with no bills. I had pay checks in my desk draw that I didn’t bother cashing while living there, I was party with a couple of other brothers and friends every night, and I felt like my life was completely empty, I knew I was missing something.

I was playing D&D off and on too, and one night while I was laying down to sleep it sounded like the D&D die in the glass bowl I had by my bed started spinning around in the bowl, and I had the distinct feeling that something evil was in my room. I turned on the light the die were not moving and the sound had stopped. I was nervous and started praying, asking God to protect me. I went down stairs and started watching TV, Jim and Tammy (PTL) was on and I was feeling completely convicted. So my pattern from that time was go out partying and when everyone went to bed I’d watch Christian TV, and if I heard a sound of someone moving about I’d change the channel. I didn’t want anyone knowing I was interested in that religious stuff since no one in my family was a Christian.

I came across an add in the paper about someone saying if people were tired of talking to recordings and wanted to talk to a true live person about a true live God call, and they put in their home phone number. I thought interesting but didn’t do anything, until one night I thought I wanted to talk to someone and called PTL, and got a recording. I remembered that ad in the paper and told God that if it was still in there I’d call them. It was and I did, they invited me into home, I met them and their kids. I accepted God into my life and got Spirit filled then too with the signs that accompany that.

That was over 25 years ago, and I have been a Christian ever since. I quit doing drugs, not at first, because I enjoyed them to much, but I stopped enjoying them and ended up giving them up and telling the people I was partying with why. A couple of them got saved after that too, it was amazing.

You asked what got me here, as far as believing in God, here is the readers digest version.
Kelly

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
28 Jul 06

Originally posted by KellyJay

I still liked partying and did not want to stop, I was going to school on the old GI bill, staying at my parents house, working as a summer help pipe fitter making $14.40 an hour with no bills. I had pay checks in my desk draw that I didn’t bother cashing while living there, I was party with a couple of other brothers and friend ...[text shortened]... u asked what got me here, as far as believing in God, here is the readers digest version.
Kelly
What is your opinion of Jim and Tammy? Are those kinds of witnesses useful to the building of faith in your opinion?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
28 Jul 06
1 edit

Originally posted by kirksey957
What is your opinion of Jim and Tammy? Are those kinds of witnesses useful to the building of faith in your opinion?
I don't think about them to tell you the truth, Jim I heard speak a
couple of years ago on TV. He seemed to have repented, and wanted
to move on, I do not know about Tammy. Like all people, I don't worry
about if they are right with God or not God will sort us all out, my
attempt is let God judge them, and for me to stay on course as I
should.
Kelly

E

Moves
28 Jul 06

thats a cool story.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
28 Jul 06

I don't think about them to tell you the truth, Jim I heard speak a
couple of years ago on TV. He seemed to have repented, and wanted
to move on, I do not know about Tammy. Like all people, I don't worry
about if they are right with God or not God will sort us all out, my
attempt is let God judge them, and for me to stay on course as I
should.
Kelly
I think it is useful to examine these people as many many people were disillusioned by their behaviors, not to mention lost a lot of money to them. Perhaps in the same way it is useful to examine anyone else.

I happened to see Jim on TV a couple of years ago with his new wife who is also his side-kick like Tammy was. He never learns. Same old trite sayings. He's like a drunk working at the liquor store.

The Tao Temple

Moves
28 Jul 06
1 edit

[b]part 3 of 3 for howardgee

I was playing D&D off and on too, and one night while I was laying down to sleep it sounded like the D&D die in the glass bowl I had by my bed started spinning around in the bowl, and I had the distinct feeling that something evil was in my room.
I hope you're not saying D&D is evil! A Jehovah's Witness once spun me that line on my doorstep. Lord of the Rings was the inspiration for the game. Do you consider that evil?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Jul 06

Originally posted by Mixo
I hope you're not saying D&D is evil! A Jehovah's Witness once spun me that line on my doorstep. Lord of the Rings was the inspiration for the game. Do you consider that evil?
I wrote about an experience nothing more. Almost anything can be
used by evil, even scripture. Some things can are much easier to
be used by evil than others.
Kelly

h

Cosmos

Moves
01 Aug 06

Well, let me thank you for taking the time to explain your belief in God.
What is very noticable is that you do not describe one single experience of God himself.
Given that this was the aim of your piece, it is very disappointing. The only time you do mention him 'helping' you get out of trouble in the navy, you do not mention specifics. Thus it is insufficient to be able to analyse whether you got out of trouble due to God, or some one within the navy, or just good luck.
In short your piece is the scientific equivalent of an attempt to describe gravity by saying "if you throw a ball up, it should come down".

The die rolling around in the glass episode was clearly your mind playing tricks as you fell asleep.
Indeed, the real reason why you ended up believing in God, is because you answered an advert in a newspaper! Oh, but wait...the advert was there a few days after you spotted it...amazing...it's a miracle (or possibly a deal whereby the advert is shown for a week)!!

All in all, Kelly, you come across as a weak-willed, easily led, superstitious buffoon. Small wonder you are now religious.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
01 Aug 06

Kelly, did anything you wrote describe you experiencing or perceiving God?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
01 Aug 06

Originally posted by howardgee
What is very noticable is that you do not describe one single experience of God himself.
Given that this was the aim of your piece, it is very disappointing. The only time you do mention him 'helping' you get out of trouble in the navy, you do not mention specifics. Thus it is in ...[text shortened]... s as a weak-willed, easily led, superstitious buffoon. Small wonder you are now religious.
"Shame you won't tell us the story of how you came to believe in God!"

This is what you asked for, and that was what you got. How you view
me is of very little concern to me.
Kelly

h

Cosmos

Moves
01 Aug 06

"Shame you won't tell us the story of how you came to believe in God!"

This is what you asked for, and that was what you got. How you view
me is of very little concern to me.
Kelly
Considering the hard time you give science and its methodology, your reasons for believing in god are flimsy in the extreme.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
01 Aug 06

Originally posted by howardgee
Given that this was the aim of your piece, it is very disappointing. The only time you do mention him 'helping' you get out of trouble in the navy, you do not mention specifics. Thus it is in ...[text shortened]... s as a weak-willed, easily led, superstitious buffoon. Small wonder you are now religious.
All in all, Kelly, you come across as a weak-willed, easily led, superstitious buffoon. Small wonder you are now religious.

People in glass houses, HG. For one who's so shallow that he finds his life's fulfillment in denigrating the experiences and lives of others, you should be the last one to talk about "weak-willed". Your blinkers are so tightly screwed into your face you can't even see for the next step. Please! Your arrogance it astounding -- do you seriously expect people to experience life by your pathetic standards? You're probably the most closed-minded punk on this forum (excluding perhaps one or two fundies from the "what's wrong with evolution" thread).

E

Moves
01 Aug 06

maybe you shouldve kept that story to yourself, other christians here like me probably thought you were as close to a perfect christian you could be, so now when you say something we wont think thats nice if he says it then it must be right lol, we'll think of the story instead

s
Don't Like It Leave

Walking the earth.

Moves
01 Aug 06
1 edit

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
01 Aug 06

Originally posted by sasquatch672
And you come across as a small, mean, petty, vindictive, drug-abusing, angry little man who dislikes himself so much that he has to tear other people down and point out their PERCEIVED inadequacies to mask his own insecurity about himself and his life.
How'd you get "drug-abusing" out of his stuff? The rest seems a fair enough assumption...