1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    19 Apr '17 14:21
    What did you think of the movie?
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Joined
    24 May '04
    Moves
    148447
    19 Apr '17 16:36
    Originally posted by vivify
    What did you think of the movie?
    Liked a large part of it
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86369
    19 Apr '17 17:405 edits
    Originally posted by vivify
    What did you think of the movie?
    Haven't watched it.

    To be honest I'm not that impressed with holywood's slant on religion and especially Christianity and Christ. Being anti corporate religion as I vociferously am, I don't think Gibson's extreme Catholic slants will impress me despite the contemporary cinematic charisma the movie undoubtedly has.

    I have seen clips of the beating scenes and my gut feel is that it is sensationalised and unrealistic violence. I don't believe any man could live through that beating and there is no evidence in scripture that Jesus was supernaturally supported through it, and in fact evidence that he was not.

    In short, attempting to win people to Christ through appealing to the emotions is a misconceived approach which is at best a ministry of disappointment and at worst an aggressive intoxication of the mind which numbs sensitivity to the spirit.

    Of course I speak as someone who wastes their time playing chess, arguing on the internet and watching Star Trek movies, so don't listen to me.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    19 Apr '17 19:12
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Haven't watched it.

    To be honest I'm not that impressed with holywood's slant on religion and especially Christianity and Christ. Being anti corporate religion as I vociferously am, I don't think Gibson's extreme Catholic slants will impress me despite the contemporary cinematic charisma the movie undoubtedly has.

    I have seen clips of the beating ...[text shortened]... ime playing chess, arguing on the internet and watching Star Trek movies, so don't listen to me.
    Wait....wut?

    The beating Christ endured was not that severe?

    Do you read much about Roman floggings? More than likely Christ could not carry the cross up the hill because of those floggings and loss of blood.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86369
    19 Apr '17 19:37
    Originally posted by whodey
    Wait....wut?

    The beating Christ endured was not that severe?

    Do you read much about Roman floggings? More than likely Christ could not carry the cross up the hill because of those floggings and loss of blood.
    That's not what I said.
    Please read what is said, not what you think I said.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91629
    19 Apr '17 21:232 edits
    Originally posted by vivify
    What did you think of the movie?
    I think there is no way a normal human could endure all that and then still be alive, and have the strength left to carry that huge cross up that hill.
    So it fails for me on that level. I know JC is supposed to be special, but if he has "supernatural" energy then the whole basis for his "trials" is limp and irrelevent
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91629
    19 Apr '17 21:27
    Originally posted by whodey
    Wait....wut?

    The beating Christ endured was not that severe?

    Do you read much about Roman floggings? More than likely Christ could not carry the cross up the hill because of those floggings and loss of blood.
    Exactly. It would've meant more to me if it were more realistic... like if he just died while getting flogged with the cat o nine tails
  8. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    9664
    19 Apr '17 23:221 edit
    Where was god? Absent. It needed blood death sacrifice of its own offspring just to forgive humans for having been made to its own specifications. This is weird horrible stuff.

    Only the gullible sweet buy it.
  9. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    19 Apr '17 23:43
    Originally posted by vivify
    What did you think of the movie?
    When I was a Christian, I thought it wasn't as powerful as the Gospel texts and not as evocative as the fourteen Stations of the Cross that were gazed at and prayed over collectively by churchgoers for centuries.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Joined
    24 May '04
    Moves
    148447
    19 Apr '17 23:47
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I think there is no way a normal human could endure all that and then still be alive, and have the strength left to carry that huge cross up that hill.
    So it fails for me on that level. I know JC is supposed to be special, but if he has "supernatural" energy then the whole basis for his "trials" is limp and irrelevent
    As a human He went through all of that, maybe the movie didn't reflect the reality who knows. The description scripture gives is very brutal, if you feel Jesus didn't suffer properly for you to damn bad.
  11. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    19 Apr '17 23:49
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    As a human He went through all of that, maybe the movie didn't reflect the reality who knows. The description scripture gives is very brutal, if you feel Jesus didn't suffer properly for you to damn bad.
    Do you believe that, with every "sin" a Christian commits, Jesus is crucified again?
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    19 Apr '17 23:51
    Originally posted by FMF
    When I was a Christian, I thought it wasn't as powerful as the Gospel texts and not as evocative as the fourteen Stations of the Cross that were gazed at and prayed over collectively by churchgoers for centuries.
    Funny, I remember when it came out and don't remember you claiming to be a Christian at the time.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86369
    20 Apr '17 00:03
    Originally posted by whodey
    Funny, I remember when it came out and don't remember you claiming to be a Christian at the time.
    The movie came out in early 2004 and FMF joined the site in late 2005.
  14. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    20 Apr '17 00:331 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Funny, I remember when it came out and don't remember you claiming to be a Christian at the time.
    If you remember when the film came out then you'll know it was a year before I joined this web site, so why would you think you would somehow "remember" what I was claiming and not claiming at the time? I don't think I posted on the Spirituality Forum much before 2010.

    edit: divegeester beat me to it.
  15. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    20 Apr '17 00:50
    Originally posted by whodey
    Funny, I remember when it came out and don't remember you claiming to be a Christian at the time.
    In what year did I finally stop claiming to be a Christian, do you remember?
Back to Top