1. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 15:25
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    sorry, im unable to enter forums whilst at work, where i mainly play, its blocked by the company as its 'chat' ive had a quick look for hard evidence of my allegation from googling, theres reference to somewhere in england which did this but unfortunately no mention of its name.. before you scoff.. the bullring shopping centre , birmingham banned sa ...[text shortened]... o have banned xmas decorations on at least one xmas because of possible offence to there muslims
    Are any of these gov't agencies? If they are private organizations (for profit or not-for-profit), then I see nothing wrong with their setting company policy so as not to offend people.

I remember back when the Bush Administration was trying to weasel some justification for invading Iraq. A co-owner of a family delicatessen wrote "NO WAR FOR OIL" on the chalkboard menu. Within a half-hour his father told him to erase the message as it might offend some of the customers.

Even though I suspect that the majority of people in the cafe supported the message, I see nothing wrong with a private business censoring that message on grounds of preventing offense.

Besides if you think that's bad, at the time I worked for a local bank just down the street. The self-censorship there was at an astronomical level.

So discussing the non-discriminitory behavior of private enterprise is in my opinion a bit far afield of the topic. Moreover, it can in no way be used as equivalent to a government taking the same action.
  2. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 16:17

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 18:26
    Why should it offend people to display xmas decorations in a christian country? why should we pander to a few members of certain religions who find tinsel and santa offensive ? this is england not saudi arabia. Government agency or not, organisations shouldnt be doing this just out of there stupid political correctness.
    I think it has more to do with the bottom line than it does with PC. Government and private enterprise are very different spheres. A private business should be able to decide to display religious symbols/endorsements or not to display them. The government however should not be associating itself with religion, either directly or through symbolic endorsement of one over another. This is because while the private enterprise must only represent itself, the government is supposed to be representative of all citizens (xtian or not).

England of course is a different country than the US. I'm used to the seperation of church and state. I'm not sure whether this is a legal tenet British government. In the US, we are NOT officially a xtian nation (despite the fact that most Americans are xtian). There are examples in US history where efforts were made to have xtian status explicitly written into our Constitution, but these efforts were defeated.

Perhaps the UK has explicitly declared itself a xtian country (Is the gov't still tied to the Church of England even if only ceremonially?). Either way, private enterprise has the right to display or not display religious symbols. No business should be expected to simply because a majority of the population are of a similar religion.
  4. Joined
    07 Jan '05
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 07:05
    Originally posted by Canadaguy
    To me sunday is just another day, so why do I and every other non christian have to suffer with sunday hours? stores open later and close earlier, busses stop earlier and have longer wait times, downtown shops don't even open etc. This annoys me greatly.
    You are living in Canada, things there are really slow you know. Dont blame the Christians cause your country also has a sunday.

Poor people, go catch some fish, quick quick.
  5. Calgary
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 08:291 edit
    Originally posted by Nicolaas
    You are living in Canada, things there are really slow you know. Dont blame the Christians cause your country also has a sunday.

Poor people, go catch some fish, quick quick.
    Look, I work 12 hrs on sundays, I get off work at midnight, the last bus that runs to my part of town ends at 11:30. I'm paying for a monthly bus pass That I can't use when I really need it. Why? Because of a strupid religious observance. I and many people don't follw christianity. I have no problem with the people who do, and quite frankely I usually end up defending the church and christianity. But people like you make me wonder why. People like you make the church look bad. All I want is to take the bus home on a sunday night. Not to bring down the church.

and WTF do you know about Canada you narrow minded @$$ monkey. You are probably a closeted homosexual but you hide behind evangelicalism to keep from hating yourself too much.
  6. Earth Prime
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 14:38
    People like you make the church look bad.
    yep
  7. Joined
    07 Jan '05
    Moves
    21 Sep '05 09:01
    Look, I work 12 hrs on sundays, I get off work at midnight, the last bus that runs to my part of town ends at 11:30. I'm paying for a monthly bus pass That I can't use when I really need it. Why? Because of a strupid religious observance. I and many people don't follw christianity. I have no problem with the people who do, and quite frankely I usua ...[text shortened]... a closeted homosexual but you hide behind evangelicalism to keep from hating yourself too much.
    Well if it is the busses that dont drive on Sundays, it is their fualt. There is alot of companies or institutions all over the world that stays open from 8 till late. It is up to them to if they want to stay open or not and till what time they choose.

BTW, there is a solution to your problem. Get another job where you dont have to work on sundays, or even better, why dont you buy yourself a car? Wouldnt that work?

Dont blame me cause "you wonder why" you arent a christian. How do i make the church look bad? Do you even know how a church looks inside?

You are a typical 8 year old calling me names. For that, you must have been molested when you were younger. Maybe you hate yourself cause of that. Maybe, you are homosexual and it makes you scared!
  8. Calgary
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 02:04
    Originally posted by Nicolaas
    Well if it is the busses that dont drive on Sundays, it is their fualt. There is alot of companies or institutions all over the world that stays open from 8 till late. It is up to them to if they want to stay open or not and till what time they choose.

BTW, there is a solution to your problem. Get another job where you dont have to work on sundays, or ev ...[text shortened]... unger. Maybe you hate yourself cause of that. Maybe, you are homosexual and it makes you scared!
    The busses don't run because of christian observence of sabbath, dillhole. The buses are run by the city. So where is the seperation of church and state?

Get a car? Are you retarded. I can't afford a car, Thats why I work on sundays, moron. If you wern't so self rightous(sp.) you would pull your head out of your @$$ and see the cost of gasoline.
    I don't wonder why I'm not a Christian, I know why I'm not one, people like you are the reason I'm not a Christian.

And yes I have been in a church, I've been to sevices, but really it did nothing for me. I didn't feel closer to God, I didn't feel his presence, and I didn't gain any insight or revelation into my relationship with him. So I really don't see a point to going.
  9. Joined
    04 Aug '04
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 05:46

10. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 11:27

11. Calgary
    Moves
    24 Sep '05 04:17
    Originally posted by lioyank
    you arrogant son of a b**ch.

you are exactly the reason why people hate religions.

you are exactly the reason why there are so many people leaving from churches around the world.

you talk down to people like you have all the answers and it seems so obvious.

"Get another job where you dont have to work on sundays, or even better, why dont you bu ...[text shortened]... your true character of what kind of a "Christian" you really are. now go ask for forgiveness.
    Nuff said, and thanks.
  12. Birmingham
    Moves
    24 Sep '05 13:50
    Well, I`m sorry that you aren`t a xian, and as such sunday is a great bore to you, but anyway why not become a xian? This christianity business is not just about religion but about reality.It is to our great advantage to believe those things in the Bible because it is God who knows all the answers about this life and that to come. Having a relationship with God is not difficult coz Jesus made the way very easy for us by removing the obstacle: our own sins. Now we don`t have to suffer for them anymore coz Jesus did that already and He will not cast away any who will call on Him, and you can do it here and now cheers
  13. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    24 Sep '05 13:54
    Make no mistake, the little demons are already busy heating up a red hot poker with Nicolaas name on it!
    really? ya think?
  14. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    24 Sep '05 14:58

15. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    24 Sep '05 17:06
    What's that supposed to mean?
    Oh you said poker not pitchfork lol

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree