Personal conceptions: individualism & belonging

Personal conceptions: individualism & belonging

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
31 Dec 21
1 edit

Spirituality is concerned with things of the spirit, which I take to mean our each and every human spirit ~ which, in harness with cognitive abilities, is the basis for our capacity for [or contribution to] abstract interaction and imagination. This in turn, again, to my way of thinking, forms the basis for our uniqueness and individuality ~ for which others might use the word "soul" and, further to that, ascribe to it supernatural attributes.

But whether we subscribe to supernatural explanations or not, I think we can agree that our spirits/souls and our individualism are two closely related aspects of the human condition. How does your personal conception of a spiritual dimension in your life affect your philosophy of individualism and how you see yourself relating to the society in which you live?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
31 Dec 21

Moves
31 Dec 21
1 edit

@suzianne said
I liked it better when the forum wasn't plagued with pseudo-intellectualism.
Coincidentally I dropped FMF a voice note yesterday which included :

“Suzianne is totally pissed off that you are back, she just cannot properly function knowing that you are driving content on the website”

And here you are a few hours later, proving me right.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@fmf said
Spirituality is concerned with things of the spirit, which I take to mean our each and every human spirit ~ which, in harness with cognitive abilities, is the basis for our capacity for [or contribution to] abstract interaction and imagination. This in turn, again, to my way of thinking, forms the basis for our uniqueness and individuality ~ for which others might use the word "s ...[text shortened]... your philosophy of individualism and how you see yourself relating to the society in which you live?
<<Spirituality is concerned with things of the spirit, which I take to mean our each and every human spirit>>

Christians believe God’s Holy Spurit indwells us. This is different from the human spirit.

“But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.”

(Romans 8:9-11)

“The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:”

(Romans 8:16)

Moves
31 Dec 21
2 edits

@suzianne
Ah … you removed it, but not quite in time.

Here’s a freebie; less scorn - more content.

F

Moves
31 Dec 21

@suzianne said

The OP is a pretty straightforward question drawing on pretty commonplace ideas.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@fmf said
@suzianne said

The OP is a pretty straightforward question drawing on pretty commonplace ideas.
And yet it completely neglects that God’s Holy Spirit indwells Christians.

F

Moves
31 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
And yet it completely neglects that God’s Holy Spirit indwells Christians.
The OP does not "completely neglect" it. I acknowledge that some people ascribe supernatural attributes to the things I am talking about. I do so in his first paragraph. The OP is for theists and atheists alike.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@fmf said
The OP does not "completely neglect" it. I acknowledge that some people ascribe supernatural attributes to the things I am talking about. I do so in his first paragraph. The OP is for theists and atheists alike.
Ok, I hear what you’re saying.

But to ascribe supernatural attributes to the human spirit is very different from saying God’s Holy Spirit indwells Christians.

Unless I’m mistaken, you are saying Christians have one spirit and some attribute supernatural attributes to it.

I say Christians have two spirits - their own spirit and God’s Holy Spirit, separate and distinct.

F

Moves
31 Dec 21
1 edit

@pb1022 said
Ok, I hear what you’re saying.

But to ascribe supernatural attributes to the human spirit is very different from saying God’s Holy Spirit indwells Christians.

Unless I’m mistaken, you are saying Christians have one spirit and some attribute supernatural attributes to it.

I say Christians have two spirits - their own spirit and God’s Holy Spirit, separate and distinct.
Be that as it may, but the question the OP poses is:

How does your personal conception of a spiritual dimension in your life affect your philosophy of individualism and how you see yourself relating to the society in which you live?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@fmf said
Be that as it may, but the question the OP poses is:

How does your personal conception of a spiritual dimension in your life affect your philosophy of individualism and how you see yourself relating to the society in which you live?
Easy.

Are you living for God or are you living for your self?

Are you walking in the Spirit or walking in the flesh?

Do you contribute money to charities that help the poor or not? Do you introduce people to Jesus Christ and God’s free gift of salvation through Him or not?

Do you lay up for yourself treasures in Heaven or not?

“Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”

(Matthew 6:19-21)

Do you fulfill Galatians 6:2 or not?

“Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.”

(Galatians 6:2)

Simply put, do you live for yourself or do you live for God?

F

Moves
31 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
Easy.

Are you living for God or are you living for your self?

Are you walking in the Spirit or walking in the flesh?

Do you contribute money to charities that help the poor or not? Do you introduce people to Jesus Christ and God’s free gift of salvation through Him or not?

Do you lay up for yourself treasures in Heaven or not?

“Lay not up for yourselves treasure ...[text shortened]... e law of Christ.”

(Galatians 6:2)

Simply put, do you live for yourself or do you live for God?
Thanks for your Christian take on the OP question.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@fmf said
Thanks for your Christian take on the OP question.
No problem.

Thank you for the thought-provoking question.

F

Moves
31 Dec 21

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

The post that was quoted here has been removed
I never made that accusation and I find your dishonesty to be quite repulsive.