1. S. Korea
    Moves
    15 Jun '18 09:15
    Originally posted by @fmf
    The UK eh? Mmmm. Sounds like it might be really bad. Do you think - therefore - that the citizens of Indonesia should NOT have a right to free speech and free press?
    That's not the right question.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '18 09:16
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    Logic : where art thou.
    You to want to talk about "the West" and "South Korea" but when I want to talk about "Indonesia" you reject it because it's not "abstract things". Have I interpreted your wriggling correctly?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '18 09:16
    That's not the right question.
    OK try this: the citizens of Indonesia should have a right to free speech and free press or the citizens of Indonesia should NOT have a right to free speech and free press: which?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '18 09:20
    If it weren't for economic development, we would look like the Philippines.

And we would be able to enjoy Muh Democracy, then, right? Lol.

The Filipinos elected strongman Duterte because life without security and without justice for drug dealers isn't worth living even if you have Muh Rights.
    Why don't you talk to someone who advocates this thing you call "Muh Rights"? There might be some on the Debates Forum, whatever they are exactly. How did you define them? Stupid people who speak like someone who never reads books, was that the gist of it?
  5. S. Korea
    Moves
    15 Jun '18 09:21
    You to want to talk about "the West" and "South Korea" but when I want to talk about "Indonesia" you reject it because it's not "abstract things". Have I interpreted your wriggling correctly?
    No,

I am saying : look at the collective picture,and then you'll also understand why Indonesia is what it is now, and it's not because of Muh Rights.

You: Look only at Indonesia. Muh Rights!
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '18 09:21
    You literally sound like

"so what if you're right. Muh Indonesia."
    What does this kind of sneery thing actually mean in reality? What does "Muh Indonesia" mean?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '18 09:23
    look at the collective picture,and then you'll also understand why Indonesia is what it is now, and it's not because of Muh Rights.

You: Look only at Indonesia. Muh Rights!
    I haven't claimed that the only factor in the change Indonesia has seen is freedom and rights. And your repetition of the word "Muh" doesn't work with me.
  8. S. Korea
    Moves
    15 Jun '18 09:23
    OK try this: the citizens of Indonesia should have a right to free speech and free press or the citizens of Indonesia should NOT have a right to free speech and free press: which?
    Look at my thread title.

The general idea would be...

Virtue, then happiness and meaningful livelihood thst results in justice and good living, which is superior to freedom and rights while simultaneously being a source for the same fruit as freedom and rights.

Lack of virtue : all the evils. You can even have Muh Rights on a piece of paper but they're meaningless.

Thus, your question is not the right one.
  9. S. Korea
    Moves
    15 Jun '18 09:24
    I see what the problem is, basically :

Yiu refuse to have a deep, comprehensive view of the problem and only want to play with things on the surface.

And if we ask you to go deeper, you refuse.

And then you complain that I don't play your exact game on the surface of the issue and complain that I want to go deeper.
  10. S. Korea
    Moves
    15 Jun '18 09:26
    Do you find it meaningful to discuss issues only on the surface and ignore the greater question?

Do you know other intellectuals who like to do that?

Can you please name some philosophers that also take the "let's only discuss the superficial aspects of this" approach?
  11. S. Korea
    Moves
    15 Jun '18 09:27
    I haven't claimed that the only factor in the change Indonesia has seen is freedom and rights. And your repetition of the word "Muh" doesn't work with me.
    I'm sorry, you'll have to excuse Muh behavior.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '18 09:29
    You refuse to have a deep, comprehensive view of the problem and only want to play with things on the surface.
    I disagree. You talk like someone who has exposed himself to copious amounts of confirmation bias stuff and is completely cut off from people, from communities, from civil society, from how freedoms and rights work in the field in favour of people who are trying to build "a good society" and for whom those freedoms and rights can be a matter of life and death. You do not come across as "deep" in the slightest.
  13. S. Korea
    Moves
    15 Jun '18 09:30
    I have to get going. My subway ride is coming to an end.

But this is a good stopping point.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '18 09:31
    And then you complain that I don't play your exact game on the surface of the issue and complain that I want to go deeper.
    I don't perceive you as going "deeper".
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '18 09:32
    Lack of virtue : all the evils. You can even have Muh Rights on a piece of paper but they're meaningless.
    Freedom of the press in Indonesia is "Muh Rights"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree