1. Germany
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 10:26
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    First of all you will need to demonstrate why its abusive, secondly you will need to say what relevance beating a dog has to administering corporal punishment. that one is legal and the other illegal? How doe that explain anything? Is it simply an attempt to put it in some kind of context?
    I think it's fairly well-established that beating children hurts them.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 10:29
    what is appropriate for three boys who set the schoolteachers 'tails', on fire as he took rest?
    A good talking to, and a serious discussion with their parents.

How old are the boys in question?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 10:29
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    you dont say.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 10:31
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The emotional pain is often worse than the physical pain. So the question is, whether emotional punishment is also abuse.
    Should we teach children solely via reward systems, or maybe keep it purely intellectual?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 10:331 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    A good talking to, and a serious discussion with their parents.

How old are the boys in question?
    they are dead now, their ages are not specified. I am reading a book written in the 1800's about a small parish not far from me. The school teacher was elderly, he said nothing, he waited until break time, walked a little way, picked a young and subtle branch from the tree, stripped the bark from it and gave them a whupping with the full consent of their parents, one of which was the local minister.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 10:51
    The emotional pain is often worse than the physical pain. So the question is, whether emotional punishment is also abuse.
    Should we teach children solely via reward systems, or maybe keep it purely intellectual?
    Interesting questions.

Maybe stopping beating children up is a good first step.
  7. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 12:521 edit
    Then what was your point, if any?

[b]..and for the record rape is extremely rare amongst the mammals, excluding man of course.

Does that matter?

In fact amongst the mammals (excluding man) it is nearly always the females who are the boss. I place emphasis on the word mild because in evolutionary terms humans to a very large extent are protec ...[text shortened]... ions, and excessive force can go unpunished.
    I don't understand. Please explain that again.[/b]
    My original post was in response to you equating rape and physical punishment of offspring. I still don't know how you come to this conclusion. (6 March 19.37)
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 13:13
    controlled? who can control economics?
    You have reached the point where you are not interested in a serious discussion.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 18:17
    Originally posted by OdBod
    My original post was in response to you equating rape and physical punishment of offspring. I still don't know how you come to this conclusion. (6 March 19.37)
    No, that wasn't your original post. This was your original post:

I think MILD physical discipling of offspring may be natural, look to the animal kingdom, specifically mammals of which we are a part.

And no, I never equated rape and physical punishment.
  10. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 19:41
    No, that wasn't your original post. This was your original post:

I think MILD physical discipling of offspring may be natural, look to the animal kingdom, specifically mammals of which we are a part.

And no, I never equated rape and physical punishment.
    Yes, then you posted " so is rape" , I am trying to establish what you ment in the context of the discussion. Do you consider it natural?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 20:18

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 20:52
    Originally posted by OdBod
    Yes, then you posted " so is rape" , I am trying to establish what you ment in the context of the discussion. Do you consider it natural?
    Rape happens in the natural world. That doesn't automatically make it equivalent to everything else that happens in the natural world. What I meant was that merely pointing out that something happens in the natural world doesn't make it OK as you seemed to be implying.
    And no, I do not label things 'natural' or 'unnatural'. I think such labels are a mistake.
    Now are you going to explain why you brought up the fact that MILD physical discipline is practiced by other animals? What did you think it brought to the discussion? What conclusions can be made from it?
  13. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 21:04
    I got smacked by my parents and only ever smacked mine once each a short sharp shock they turned out fine and bring their own kids up using the same methods.
  14. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 21:321 edit
    Rape happens in the natural world. That doesn't automatically make it equivalent to everything else that happens in the natural world. What I meant was that merely pointing out that something happens in the natural world doesn't make it OK as you seemed to be implying.
    And no, I do not label things 'natural' or 'unnatural'. I think such labels are a mis ...[text shortened]... animals? What did you think it brought to the discussion? What conclusions can be made from it?
    It is possible to make an observation without approving of it. If the offspring of an animal is damaged by physical discipline it may compromise its ability to reproduce, thus it is in the interest of the parent to use MILD discipline. Duchess was correct in pointing out that Primates seem to exhibit more aggressive sexual behaviour than most of the other mammals, this brings me to the other point I was trying to make . That because man as a species has been so successful certain evolutionary weakness becomes less important. My conclusion and suggestion being, strip away "civilization" and we are basic animals, a child must learn social rules they are not born with them, and therefore the animal kingdom may be able to teach us something.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 21:561 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree