Pope Fires his Chief Astronomer

Pope Fires his Chief Astronomer

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

l

London

Moves
05 Sep 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
"Gravity may put ye planets into motion but without ye divine power it could never put them into such a Circulating motion as they have about ye Sun, and therefore, for this as well as other reasons, I am compelled to ascribe ye frame of this Systeme to an intelligent Agent."

Newton could not see the mechanism which started the orbits of the planets and ...[text shortened]... e know of the mechanisms Newton would have no need for a designer. So why would he invoke one?
Even if one knew the mechanism behind what put the planets in orbit, that mechanism would still need another mechanism before it, and so on. Further, Newton does specify that he has other reasons as well.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
05 Sep 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Even if one knew the mechanism behind what put the planets in orbit, that mechanism would still need another mechanism before it, and so on. Further, Newton does specify that he has other reasons as well.
And a creator needs to be created. A designer solves no problems.

l

London

Moves
05 Sep 06

And a creator needs to be created. A designer solves no problems.
Not really. Just as the question "What natural number is smaller than 1" is meaningless by definition, a Creator who is, by essence/definition, uncaused needs no meta-Creator.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
05 Sep 06

Not really. Just as the question "What natural number is smaller than 1" is meaningless by definition, a Creator who is, by essence/definition, uncaused needs no meta-Creator.
That's utter crap and you know it.

l

London

Moves
05 Sep 06

No and no. If you're going to stand around in this forum and defend science and reason, you're going to have to do better than that.

j

Moves
05 Sep 06

I think the poster may be right. One definition of God could be a Being for Whom a greater cannot be thought.

If there is one and a greater one cannot be thought, that is God.

A greater cannot be thought of One ever existing and self existing dependent upon nothing.

And if God is imaginary then a real God would be greater than an imaginary God. Since a greater cannot be thought than a real God, I propose the God is real.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
05 Sep 06

No and no. If you're going to stand around in this forum and defend science and reason, you're going to have to do better than that.
You given a definition of a Creator that makes no sense.

l

London

Moves
05 Sep 06

Originally posted by jaywill
I think the poster may be right. One definition of God could be a Being for Whom a greater cannot be thought.

A greater cannot be thought of One ever existing and self existing dependent upon nothing.

And if God is imaginary then a real God would be greater than an imaginary God. Since a greater cannot be thought than a real God, I propose the God is real.
(Waiting for the inevitable Kant-reference)

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
05 Sep 06

Originally posted by jaywill

Circular Logic ahoy!

l

London

Moves
05 Sep 06

You given a definition of a Creator that makes no sense.
Why do you think it makes no sense?

A being that is uncaused or causa sui does not need a creator, by definition. If the Creator (of the Universe, that is) can be shown to be such a being, then your question is meaningless.

It's quite simple.

l

London

Moves
05 Sep 06
1 edit

Circular Logic ahoy!
It isn't circular logic. There are other problems with the argument (St. Anselm's Ontological Argument, for future reference), but not circularity.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
05 Sep 06

Why do you think it makes no sense?

A being that is uncaused or causa sui does not need a creator, by definition. If the Creator (of the Universe, that is) can be shown to be such a being, then your question is meaningless.

It's quite simple.
And the second half of your post is where the problem is. If the Creator of the Universe can be shown to be without cause then no cause is needed. So have you showed that a Creator exists let alone that he is without cause?

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
05 Sep 06

It isn't circular logic. There are other problems with the argument (St. Anselm's Ontological Argument, for future reference), but not circularity.
Summed up he said "The Greatest is God therefore God is the Greatest.".

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
05 Sep 06
1 edit

Summed up he said "The Greatest is God therefore God is the Greatest.".
"The Greatest is God therefore God is Real" would be more to the point.

(Note: Anselm's argument is utter crap, I can't believe jaywill still brings it up seriously(?) in a debate)

l

London

Moves
05 Sep 06
1 edit

And the second half of your post is where the problem is. If the Creator of the Universe can be shown to be without cause then no cause is needed. So have you showed that a Creator exists let alone that he is without cause?
No, I haven't. Nor do I need to. Your original assertion ("And a creator needs to be created" ) does not require it to be disproved.