Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    17 Dec '14 00:43
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    God gives faith? Who to and why?
    Romans ch.9 explains why
    13 In the words of the Scriptures, “I loved Jacob, but I rejected Esau.”

14 Are we saying, then, that God was unfair? Of course not! 15 For God said to Moses,

“I will show mercy to anyone I choose,
    and I will show compassion to anyone I choose.”
    16 So it is God who decides to show mercy. We can neither choose it nor work for it.

17 For the Scriptures say that God told Pharaoh, “I have appointed you for the very purpose of displaying my power in you and to spread my fame throughout the earth."

(And you can read on)

God gives faith:
    Matthew 16: 15 Then he asked them, “But who do you say I am?”

16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”

17 Jesus replied, “You are blessed, Simon son of John, because my Father in heaven has revealed this to you. You did not learn this from any human being.

(Continue)
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    17 Dec '14 02:43
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Romans ch.9 explains why
    13 In the words of the Scriptures, “I loved Jacob, but I rejected Esau.”

14 Are we saying, then, that God was unfair? Of course not! 15 For God said to Moses,

“I will show mercy to anyone I choose,
    and I will show compassion to anyone I choose.”
    16 So it is God who decides to show mercy. We can neither choose it nor work ...[text shortened]... r in heaven has revealed this to you. You did not learn this from any human being.

(Continue)
    Where does it say god gives faith?
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    18 Dec '14 05:50
    Originally posted by JS357
    It didn't help Tim Tebow.
    If you're that much of a weenie-arm, even God can't help you. 😛
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 05:50
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Exactly. I'm pretty sure I can guess what RBhill's answer is going to be, but I don't want to spoil it.
    No, you'll be damned for sin in your life. You'll be damned because you
    didn't want God's forgiveness that cannot be earned on your own. You'll be
    damned if you reject the grace of God which is only offered in this life while
    you live in it. It is up to you, it is who so ever will, God can call you, but you
    must answer and follow. The gifts and callings of God are given to us all, the
    way has been made for all, but only a few accept what was and is offered.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 08:561 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    No, you'll be damned for sin in your life. You'll be damned because you
    didn't want God's forgiveness that cannot be earned on your own. You'll be
    damned if you reject the grace of God which is only offered in this life while
    you live in it. It is up to you, it is who so ever will, God can call you, but you
    must answer and follow. The gifts and callings ...[text shortened]... given to us all, the
    way has been made for all, but only a few accept what was and is offered.
    Lots of damnation going on today. I suppose it’s always a good idea to threaten with death and destruction if people don’t follow in line.

No, you'll be damned for sin in your life.

What sins?

You'll be damned because you didn't want God's forgiveness that cannot be earned on your own.

Forgiveness for what? When did I say I didn’t want that “forgiveness”? Why can it not be earned on my own?

You'll be damned if you reject the grace of God which is only offered in this life while
    you live in it.

I haven’t rejected anything because I’ve not been offered anything. When did I miss this “offering”?

It is up to you, it is who so ever will, God can call you, but you must answer and follow.

No, I think this is a case of mixing up cause and effect. Having read many theists’ points of view it seems to me we must first “answer and follow” by blindly believing what poppy and mommy and the pastor have told us after which God will supposedly call us.

I for one believe what my parents and the people around me tell me, but not unconditionally. Maybe you have no problem giving your common sense to some other human being, but I do.

Of course, if God wants to give me a call, he’s always free to do so. You and I are simple human beings living on different sides on a pretty big ocean, yet we can communicate without problem, without having to resort to “killing our son”, without writing in Latin and then having each other’s texts translated by a third party, without writing in countless metaphors (well, I more than you I reckon… ), and I’m pretty sure God could do the same. If he wants me to be saved he’s more than welcome to let me know clearly and obviously. Something tells me that’s not going to happen, though.

follow

Exactly. Don’t dare to step out of line.

The gifts and callings of God are given to us all, the way has been made for all, but only a few accept what was and is offered.

What gifts? Plural? I’ve never been offered anything.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 09:11
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Lots of damnation going on today. I suppose it’s always a good idea to threaten with death and destruction if people don’t follow in line.

[b]No, you'll be damned for sin in your life.

What sins?

You'll be damned because you didn't want God's forgiveness that cannot be earned on your own.

Forgiveness for what? When did I say ...[text shortened]... few accept what was and is offered.[/b]

What gifts? Plural? I’ve never been offered anything.[/b]
    I'd say it is worse than that!

Since it is clear that all of us have sinned none of us are good enough on
    our own. So it isn't a threat to toe the line it is a warning.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Dec '14 01:03
    https://m.facebook.com/BenjaminWatsonOfficial/photos/a.427697090690761.1073741828.378220362305101/613536172106851/?type=1&source=46&fs=5
    No, I didn't go see the video.

I'd say that an example of a proper team prayer would be for God's help to simply do your best and for patience to wait, strength to endure and humility to accept the outcome.

Asking for God's help in resisting and standing up to evil in a real life situation is one thing. To ask him to crush your opponents in a game is quite another.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Dec '14 01:53
    Originally posted by Suzianne

Asking for God's help in resisting and standing up to evil in a real life situation is one thing. To ask him to crush your opponents in a game is quite another.
    Is it against RHP rules? 😀
  9. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    21 Dec '14 13:26
    And if you guys are smart in understanding they don't pray to win they pray that God would be glorified in the skills that he has blessed them with.
    Have you ever seen a boxer (and his manager maybe) praying before a match: "Oh God, please help me with my God-given skills, to knock this guy's brains out and send him to hospital before he does it to me! Thank you in Jesus' name!"
  10. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    21 Dec '14 13:32
    We actually see it quite often in SA rugby, the Springboks praying in a huddle before the game.

Sometimes, not often, the other team also prays in a huddle.

That must put God in quite a quandery: from whose side will he get the most glory? Whom should he help win??

Just wondering... 😀
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Dec '14 16:16
    Originally posted by CalJust
    We actually see it quite often in SA rugby, the Springboks praying in a huddle before the game.

That must put God in quite a quandery: from whose side will he get the most glory? Whom should he help win??

Just wondering... 😀
    God's secretary: He can't be disturbed. He's watching Knot's Landing.
    Al Bundy: I knew there was a reason that show didn't get canceled.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Dec '14 18:27

That must put God in quite a quandery: Whom should he help win??

God sides with whoever is playing the All Blacks.

... it makes for a closer game! 😀
  13. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 07:14
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    God sides with whoever is playing the All Blacks.

... it makes for a closer game! 😀
    Against the All Blacks the 'Boks need all the help they can get!

I forget which famous statesman said during WW1 (when both sides were praying to the same God) that "God is on the side with the biggest guns".
  14. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    23 Dec '14 16:04

Just wondering... 😀
    Most people pray like this Lord bless you, receive glory in the skills you blessed us with wheither we win or lose.
  15. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    24 Dec '14 16:43
    Most people pray like this Lord bless you, receive glory in the skills you blessed us with wheither we win or lose.
    Yeah, right.

I can just hear the coach telling them in the huddle: "Now remember guys, it doesn't matter whether you win or lose - just give it your best shot. And God will be glorified with whatever the outcome!"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree