1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Dec '14 21:37
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I'd say it is worse than that!

Since it is clear that all of us have sinned none of us are good enough on
    our own. So it isn't a threat to toe the line it is a warning.
    "none of us are good enough on our own"

Sooo sick of this sort of rubbish. I'm good enough on my own (to my understanding anyway).
    Go on, test me.

btw I only smoke weed for a greater political cause 😉
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Dec '14 00:44
    Originally posted by CalJust
    Against the All Blacks the 'Boks need all the help they can get!

I forget which famous statesman said during WW1 (when both sides were praying to the same God) that "God is on the side with the biggest guns".
    I think Wellington was once asked "Is God on our side"
    to which he replied "I sincerely hope we are on his."
  3. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    26 Dec '14 08:151 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I think Wellington was once asked "Is God on our side"
    to which he replied "I sincerely hope we are on his."
    Good quote.

What gets my goat in these "praying at sports events" things is the hypocrisy of it all. And Christian sports heros "giving God all the glory" when it just means that they were more skilful or practiced harder than the other guy.

You never see or hear middle-or-lower-ranked sportsmen "testifying" at Christian meetings saying: "OK, I lost, but God was with me all the way and I give him the glory!"

RBHill, have you ever witnessed such an event, and if not why do you think these don't happen?
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Dec '14 08:27
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    No, we will just discover which team is the most righteous! 😀
    If God rewards righteousness buy helping a team win, isn't that cheating?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Dec '14 09:26
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If God rewards righteousness buy helping a team win, isn't that cheating?
    God already knows which team will win, surely?
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 Dec '14 09:36
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    "none of us are good enough on our own"

Sooo sick of this sort of rubbish. I'm good enough on my own (to my understanding anyway).
    Go on, test me.

btw I only smoke weed for a greater political cause 😉
    If you wish to judge yourself righteous by your own thinking so be it.
    I doubt you will pass even that when the time comes.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 Dec '14 09:38
    Good quote.

What gets my goat in these "praying at sports events" things is the hypocrisy of it all. And Christian sports heros "giving God all the glory" when it just means that they were more skilful or practiced harder than the other guy.

You never see or hear middle-or-lower-ranked sportsmen "testifying" at Christian meetings saying: "OK, I lost, ...[text shortened]...
    RBHill, have you ever witnessed such an event, and if not why do you think these don't happen?
    You can be the most skilled and well practiced and still lose.
    Anyone who prays for wins, wealth, power, and such things has completely
    missed what is important in this life.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Dec '14 09:50
    If you wish to judge yourself as not righteous by your own thinking, so be it. What's with the broad-brush "none of us are good enough on our own" judgemental thing on your part? Doesn't your religion enable you just to introspect and judge yourself rather than judge everyone?
  9. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    26 Dec '14 11:27
    Anyone who prays for wins, wealth, power, and such things has completely
    missed what is important in this life.
    Agreed.

So why do they still do it? At sporting events, I mean.

Or what else do they pray for? (Did you see me hypothetical "coach prayer" above?) do you agree with it?
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Dec '14 19:34
    I doubt you will pass even that when the time comes.
    And I have full faith that you will enter buddhahood eventually .... or even suddenly 😉
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Dec '14 00:47
    Agreed.

So why do they still do it? At sporting events, I mean.

Or what else do they pray for? (Did you see me hypothetical "coach prayer" above?) do you agree with it?
    When I used to play safety, a clean game, to play honorably, watch over us.
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    29 Dec '14 11:35
    When I used to play safety, a clean game, to play honorably, watch over us.
    How would god make any of that happen?
  13. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 12:52
    Tebow (Part 2): How to Lose a Game without Losing Your Testimony
    Posted by Nathan Busenitz
    Well … the Denver Broncos lost on Saturday.

It was a decisive loss (45-10), as the New England Patriots took a quick lead and never looked back.

As a football fan, I was admittedly a bit disappointed, even though the Tebow-led Broncos made it much farther this season than any analyst ever thought possible.

However, as a Christian, I was pleased with one particular aspect of Denver’s loss: the way Tim Tebow handled himself after the game.

Last Thursday, I wrote an article in which I tried to separate Tim Tebow – the person, from Tim Tebow – the cultural phenomenon. I did my best to affirm Tim as an individual, while also expressing some concerns about the media-driven hype that surrounds him.

From all I know of him, Tim Tebow, the person, is a man of character, conviction, and compassion. The cultural phenomenon (or “Tebow-Mania” as I called it) is the popular hype that has centered on the young quarterback’s unique season this year.

After defeating the Pittsburgh Steelers, Tebow-Mania was running at its peak level last week, and probably the number one question being asked was, Does God give supernatural assistance to Tim Tebow to help him win big football games?

The obvious follow up question was, What will happen if he loses?

When the Broncos failed to mount another “miraculous” comeback on Saturday, it was inevitable that someone in the media would raise that issue. It didn’t take long. In the press conference after the game, one reporter cut right to the chase:

There’s been a lot of talk this year about faith and winning. As Solomon said, ‘Victory belongs to the Lord.’ What about losing? How do you make sense of what’s the end of your season?

So how would Tim Tebow, the person, respond to a question that clearly highlighted one of the main theological misconceptions surrounding Tim Tebow, the cultural phenomenon?

I thought the Denver quarterback’s response was excellent and worth noting. He said this:

Well, something I pray before games, during games, and after games is regardless whether I win, whether I lose, whether I’m the hero or the goat — it doesn’t matter — that I still honor the Lord and give Him the glory because He’s deserving of it. And just like my effort shouldn’t change, neither should that. So that’s how I try to approach it. Sometimes even in a loss you can honor Him more. And so, for me I just pray that my character and who I am doesn’t change. Even though you can be dejected, you can still feel hurt, you can be disappointed; but you can still honor the Lord with how you handle things.

For a professional athlete who just lost the biggest game of his pro-football career in a landslide defeat on a national stage, that was an admirable response. He didn’t cry, as though football were more important than it really is. He didn’t blame his teammates or his coaches. He didn’t make excuses. He didn’t fault God or say something silly about not having enough faith. Instead, he gave an answer that was theologically sound and inherently God-honoring. In essence, Tim was telling the media that they were missing the point: Christianity is not about winning football games; it’s about honoring the Lord in every situation, even when you lose the football game.

His answer flew in the face of the theologically-inaccurate media hype. It was Tim Tebow, the person, providing correction to a misconception fueled by the cultural phenomenon.

Since, in my previous article, I suggested that perhaps Tim Tebow could do more to correct the popular misconceptions the media buzz has created, I wanted to be quick to applaud what I thought was a job well done.

In the end, losing a football game (even in the playoffs) is nothing compared to losing one’s testimony. I’m thankful Tim Tebow didn’t forfeit his on Saturday. In fact, when it came to winning respect and maintaining dignity in the midst of defeat, I thought he excelled.

I, for one, believe the Lord was glorified by his response. And that’s something I can celebrate — even if my beloved Broncos lost the game.

http://thecripplegate.com/tebow-part-2-how-to-lose-a-game-without-losing-your-testimony/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree