1. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Jul '09 13:10
    Originally posted by jaywill
    You did say that it was not an exhaustive list.

And of course we should pray for the peace of Israel.

And while we are at it let us also pray for the peace of Trenton New Jersey.

Seriously, I do pray for the peace of Israel and for the spread of the Gospel of Christ in the whole Middle East.
    There is a clear recommendation in the Bible to pray for peace in Israel/Jerusalem. And its not the same as praying for peace in Trenton New Jersey.
  2. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    10 Jul '09 13:271 edit
    I lead a study group at my church recently using: Paths to Prayer: Finding Your Own Way to the Presence of God by Patricia D. Brown. i think most Christians would find it interesting and helpful in exploring their prayer life. non-theists as well might find it interesting, as it gives some insight to certain prayer rituals that remain a mystery for most.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Jul '09 13:51
    Originally posted by duecer
    I lead a study group at my church recently using: Paths to Prayer: Finding Your Own Way to the Presence of God by Patricia D. Brown. i think most Christians would find it interesting and helpful in exploring their prayer life. non-theists as well might find it interesting, as it gives some insight to certain prayer rituals that remain a mystery for most.
    What do you think of the way Christian prayer has evolved. Particularly

- praying to Mary or other person
    - repeating things over and over
    - asking for material goods, wealth, riches etc
    - public showey prayer mostly those of a loud, aggressive arrogant nature - ie lacking in humility.
    - prayer asking God to eliminate the activities of another religious group (I have heard that one myself).
  4. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    10 Jul '09 17:48
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    What do you think of the way Christian prayer has evolved. Particularly

- praying to Mary or other person
    - repeating things over and over
    - asking for material goods, wealth, riches etc
    - public showey prayer mostly those of a loud, aggressive arrogant nature - ie lacking in humility.
    - prayer asking God to eliminate the activities of another religious group (I have heard that one myself).
    praying to Mary or other person
    There is but one intercessor between God and us.

repeating things over and over
    The bible says we should have "no vain repetitions". it doesn't mean we can't repeat a prayer. ever hear of a breath prayer? Its only a vain repetition when it doesn't mean anything. That's for the prayer to decide.

asking for material goods, wealth, riches etc
    "ask anything in my name and it will be granted". kind of a tough verse to get around I suppose. From my perspective, a person truly wishing to serve God won't be asking for those things, so God is not obligated to respond in the affirmative.

public showey prayer mostly those of a loud, aggressive arrogant nature - ie lacking in humility.
    I agree, this is wrong. there is nothing wrong with sincere public (read communal) prayer, as long as it is sincere

- prayer asking God to eliminate the activities of another religious group (I have heard that one myself)
    see my response about wealth above
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '09 02:421 edit
    There is a clear recommendation in the Bible to pray for peace in Israel/Jerusalem. And its not the same as praying for peace in Trenton New Jersey.
    You're probably right there.
  6. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Jul '09 07:481 edit
    Just another example of how far removed 21 century Christianity is from the original teachings of Christ. In Matt 6 Christ gave the following pointers for prayer, and a sample pray as well. How well does prayer in these modern times fit into what Christ originally taught ?

Matt 6 : 5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: fo ther attributes of prayer that are desirable depending on the circumstances.

Any comments ?
    I think you have it down. Most commendable.
  7. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Jul '09 07:52
    Okay, to be fair, you quoted it.

But in your summary you ignored the request for His KINGDOM and His WILL. And the praise for His glory forever and ever.

These are crucial.
    Oh, good lord.

Can you not separate your interpretation from the actual words? It seems not.

You're going to be a failure at Hebrew and Greek, I'm telling you now.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Jul '09 11:50
    Originally posted by Badwater
    I think you have it down. Most commendable.
    Thanks. What do you think of this prayer someone quoted in another thread?
    Does it have any of the characteristics suggested by Christ ?
    I personally cant seem to figure out what the purpose of the prayer is.

""Father Almighty, everlasting God, who together with Thine only begotten Son and the Holy Ghost art One God, One Lord, not in the oneness of a single Person but in the Trinity of One Substance, for what we Believe by Thy Revelation of Thy Glory, The same do we Believe of Thy Son the same of The Holy Ghost without difference or separation. So that in confessing the True and Everlasting Godhead, distinction in Persons, unity in Essence, and equality in Majesty".
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    11 Jul '09 12:16

""Father Almighty, everlasting God, who together with Thine only begotten Son and the Holy Ghost art One God, One Lord, not in the oneness of a ...[text shortened]... Everlasting Godhead, distinction in Persons, unity in Essence, and equality in Majesty".
    I would be cringing if I were a christian- If I wasn't already cringing from my own posts!😀😀
  10. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '09 12:171 edit

""Father Almighty, everlasting God, who together with Thine only begotten Son and the Holy Ghost art One God, One Lord, not in the oneness of a ...[text shortened]... Everlasting Godhead, distinction in Persons, unity in Essence, and equality in Majesty".
    It is full of adoration of the Triune God though kind of doctrinal. And drawing close to God in praise changes a man.

Praise causes a prayer to absorb God into their soul and be more saturated with the Holy Spirit.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    11 Jul '09 12:22
    It is full of adoration of the Triune God though kind of doctrinal. And drawing close to God in praise changes a man.

Praise causes a prayer to absorb God into their soul and be more saturated with the Holy Spirit.
    You call that a prayer? it might as well be a mantra.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Jul '09 12:28

Do you mind pointing out the 'adoration' part?
    Before you answer, you might want to check the dictionary for the meaning of 'adoration'.
  13. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    11 Jul '09 12:32
    Before you answer, you might want to check the dictionary for the meaning of 'adoration'.
    He Raj' my man, this miserable bug would never dare to try 56 games at once😵
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jul '09 12:37
    Originally posted by black beetle
    He Raj' my man, this miserable bug would never dare to try 56 games at once😵
    hey beetle dude, check this users little profile quote,

Chess is similar to life. Here and there sacrifice is in order. Without that, hardly we could expect a success. Do not be afraid to sacrifice. - procyk
  15. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '09 12:401 edit
    I can't.

It is not too obvious to me now on second glance.

But I don't know what the prayer had going on in her heart. God knows that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree