1. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 21:37
    By popular request, the prayer thread!

So, what does prayer mean to you? Why do you do it? What do you derive from it? How do you do it?
  2. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 22:14
    Originally posted by Omnislash

So, what does prayer mean to you? Why do you do it? What do you derive from it? How do you do it?
    Prayer is a chance. Commentators often refer to the hopeless as "he hasn't got a prayer"
  3. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 22:171 edit
    Originally posted by invigorate
    Prayer is a chance. Commentators often refer to the hopeless as "he hasn't got a prayer"
    WHAT IS PRAYER?

"For me, prayer is a surge of the heart; it is a simple look turned toward heaven, it is a cry of recognition and of love, embracing both trial and joy." *)

*) Therese of Lisieux
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 00:25

i am not sure 'prayer' means anything to me. i am not sure if i do pray or not. i meditate a bit on things i think are worth the time. i would venture to say a couple things about prayer, whatever prayer might be:

first, i think prayer would necessitate some faith on behalf of whomever is praying.

second, i think prayer at its best would be deeply individual -- i don't think group prayers would be helpful to one's growth as a person, and i'm not even sure if prayer can be accomplished as a group effort. not really sure.

probably not a very good answer to a tough question.
  5. Not Kansas
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 02:56
    Do people believe that by amassing together in a church once a week and *combining* their prayer, it actually has more effect, or is it just a cultural ritual?
    Why pray if God can and does read your mind constantly?
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 08:20
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    Do people believe that by amassing together in a church once a week and *combining* their prayer, it actually has more effect, or is it just a cultural ritual?
    Why pray if God can and does read your mind constantly?
    Matthew 21:22 - And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

Romans 12:12 - Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;

Philippians 4:6 - Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

As soon as you experience the joy of answered prayer you know that it is not a cultural ritual.

But then of cource there are many people that make it a cultural ritual when they pray to their dead idols. The difference is that idols never answer prayers.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 08:28
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Matthew 21:22 - And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

Romans 12:12 - Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;

Philippians 4:6 - Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

As soon as you ...[text shortened]... al ritual when they pray to their dead idols. The difference is that idols never answer prayers.

Even you born again dimwits don't get WHATSOEVER you ask for in prayer, so the Bible is wrong. How do you explain this?
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 09:17
    Originally posted by no1marauder

Even you born again dimwits don't get WHATSOEVER you ask for in prayer, so the Bible is wrong. How do you explain this?
    Even you born again dimwits don't get WHATSOEVER you ask for in prayer, so the Bible is wrong.

How do you know this?

What makes you think that prayers are always answered immediately?

I know of a mother that prayed for 40 years for her son to meet Christ. After 40 years he did.

The Bible also says that when we pray with the wrong motives our prayers will not be answered.
  9. London
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 12:35

For me, prayer is first and foremost a conversation. Sometimes it's a conversation with a King, sometimes with a Shepherd. Sometimes with a Father, sometimes with a Brother. Sometimes with a Creator and sometimes with a Teacher. There was even a time in my life when it was a conversation with an Enemy. But, above all, it is a conversation. Sometimes it's about praise and thanks; sometimes it's an "I want this" or an "I'm sorry".

Why do I pray? Quite simply - to be closer to God. There's nothing I want or need that He doesn't already know about; nothing I feel or think that He can't see. So it's not about letting him know what's happening in my life. Rather, it's about me doing something that, on my part, allows me to be closer to Him. God doesn't need my prayers, I do. Sometimes, just verbalising what I need allows me to examine them critically, prioritise my prayers, introspect a little bit.

LJ - I disagree that group prayer has no value. We are social beings. Prayer in groups brings us together as a community of believers. I love the fact that, wherever in the world I am and however far from home I might be, I can always walk into a church and meet a community of fellow-travellers ("travellers" being in the sense of a spiritual journey). As far away from friends and family as I might be, there is a little bit of home there. Group prayer, like group activities, bring people together, allows them to help, support and teach one another.

As a Catholic, there is a much simpler and greater reason why I go for Mass - to literally meet God in the Eucharist. But I don't think you're much of a supporter of that notion, so I won't say more about it.
  10. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 12:561 edit
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    The Bible also says that when we pray with the wrong motives our prayers will not be answered.
    Surely this contradicts the earlier quote -

11. London
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 13:07
    Originally posted by Redmike
    Surely this contradicts the earlier quote -

You need to read the verse in context:

Jesus said to them in reply, "Amen, I say to you, if you have faith and do not waver, not only will you do what has been done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, 'Be lifted up and thrown into the sea,' it will be done. Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive." (Mt 21:21-22)

How many people have that unwavering faith?
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 13:26
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    For me, prayer is first and foremost a conversation. Sometimes it's a conversation with a King, sometimes with a Shepherd. Sometimes with a Father, sometimes with a Brother. Sometimes with a Creator and sometimes with a Teacher. There was even a time in my life when it was a conversation with an Enemy. But, above all, it is a conversation. Sometimes it's about praise and thanks; sometimes it's an "I want this" or an "I'm sorry".
    Some people call this type of behaviour a symptom of schziophrenia.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you're schizophrenic. Just crazy.
  13. London
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 13:40
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Some people call this type of behaviour a symptom of schziophrenia.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you're schizophrenic. Just crazy.
    What's so crazy about it? We do it all the time in our daily lives.

At my workplace, I can have several types of conversations with my manager. Sometimes I talk to him as my manager, sometimes my mentor, sometimes as just a colleague and sometimes as a friend. Some of those conversations are "I want/need this", some are "I'll get/give you this". Some are "Thanks", some are "Sorry" and some are "Damn you! Whaddya mean I have to come in over the weekend??"
  14. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 14:03
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    What's so crazy about it? We do it all the time in our daily lives.

At my workplace, I can have several types of conversations with my manager. Sometimes I talk to him as my manager, sometimes my mentor, sometimes as just a colleague and sometimes as a friend. Some of those conversations are "I want/need this", some are "I'll get/give you this ...[text shortened]... some are "Sorry" and some are "Damn you! Whaddya mean I have to come in over the weekend??"
    The difference is that your manager is a real person who is able to respond in a manner which is evident to human beings. Not like Ol' Thunderbolt up in the sky... 🙄
  15. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 14:08

Prayer is simply conversing with God.

As stated above it comes in all the typical forms of our other conversations.

I talk, and listen, to God because out of all the other 'persons' I can talk to, He is the One who really gets me. He never misunderstands me, and I can never fool Him either. He knows when I'm trying to be a poser, and He knows when I'm sincere.

Of course He already knows my thoughts, but our relationship is more meaningful if I mouth (even mentally mouth, if you know what I mean) my thoughts to Him purposefully and deliberately. What I will, toward Him, is important. Sometimes you might know what your wife or your son is thinking (because you just know them so well), but you might still prod them to speak it out right? Same thing. God is out to build a relationship with you and conversing with you is probably the best way to do that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree