Prayer

Prayer

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
06 Jun 05
1 edit

Originally posted by darvlay
Well if you really want to see answered prayer, I invite to come to our Mission station here in Africa. If you are interested in finding out how it started I suggest you get hold of the book, "God among the Zulus". Here's a link to give you an idea what it is about:
http://www.christianaction.org.za/articles_ca/2003-2-testimonies_transformation.htm

The web adress of our Mission station is: http://www.ksb.org.za/

d

Moves
06 Jun 05
1 edit

Originally posted by dj2becker
http://www.christianaction.org.za/articles_ca/2003-2-testimonies_transformation.htm
LMAO! Thanks for that super-informative and accurate account of God's power! I never realized there were so many Satanists and demon-possessed people in Africa and that God hated tobacco so much.

Oh mercy. Dj2, I don't mean to belittle your beliefs and what you feel is right but I'm finding your naivete to be outrageous. Forsake your God and open your eyes to the world around you.

Moves
06 Jun 05

LMAO! Thanks for that super-informative and accurate account of God's power! I never realized there were so many Satanists and demon-possessed people in Africa and that God hated tobacco so much.

Oh mercy. Dj2, I don't mean to belittle your beliefs and what you feel is right but I'm finding your naivete to be outrageous. Forsake your God and open your eyes to the world around you.
Just one question: If you could really find out if God was a reality, would you do so?

d

Moves
06 Jun 05

Just one question: If you could really find out if God was a reality, would you do so?
If you or anyone else could prove God was reality than the spirituality forums would actually be spiritual and there would be no debating any of this. So to answer your question: Zah?

Moves
06 Jun 05
1 edit

If you or anyone else could prove God was reality than the spirituality forums would actually be spiritual and there would be no debating any of this. So to answer your question: Zah?
The problem is that we are so far apart. There are so many things that may open your eyes which I could show you if you were here with me. The RHP forum does not quite suffice.

Edit: if you came to visit me we would definately not be debating over RHP. In no time you would be preaching to preaching at no1 and froggy 😉

d

Moves
06 Jun 05

The problem is that we are so far apart. There are so many things that may open your eyes which I could show you if you were here with me. The RHP forum does not quite suffice.
Like what, for instance?

I have seen much in my years too. Try me...

Moves
06 Jun 05

Like what, for instance?

I have seen much in my years too. Try me...
I don't know where to start... Firstly, do you believe in miracles? If you saw miracles happening, would you believe in God?

m
Official Bitch

US of A

Moves
06 Jun 05

prayer ( P ) Pronunciation Key (prâr)
n.

A reverent petition made to God, a god, or another object of worship.
The act of making a reverent petition to God, a god, or another object of worship.
An act of communion with God, a god, or another object of worship, such as in devotion, confession, praise, or thanksgiving: One evening a week, the family would join together in prayer.
A specially worded form used to address God, a god, or another object of worship.
prayers A religious observance in which praying predominates: morning prayers.

A fervent request: Her prayer for rain was granted at last.
The thing requested: His safe arrival was their only prayer.
The slightest chance or hope: In a storm the mountain climbers won't have a prayer.
Law.
The request of a complainant, as stated in a complaint or in equity, that the court grant the aid or relief solicited.
The section of the complaint or bill that contains this request.

d

Moves
06 Jun 05

I don't know where to start... Firstly, do you believe in miracles? If you saw miracles happening, would you believe in God?

Define miracle first.

I believe in the power of the mind. I believe the mind can overcome many physical maladies, serious and non-serious, so so-called "faith-healing" is not something I'd be overly impressed with. So we can cast that one aside.

To me a miracle is Jesus feeding 5000 people with 2 loaves and 5 fish or turning water into wine (not coloured water) or raising the dead or walking across the water. Those stories, if true (probably not) are miraculous.

m
Official Bitch

US of A

Moves
06 Jun 05

Define miracle first.
mir·a·cle ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mr-kl)
n.
An event that appears inexplicable by the laws of nature and so is held to be supernatural in origin or an act of God: "Miracles are spontaneous, they cannot be summoned, but come of themselves" (Katherine Anne Porter).

l

London

Moves
06 Jun 05

C'mon now, I don't insult you every post. More like every other post. 😛

I find prayer to be an absurd notion for the reasons I stated in my response. That's nice that you and chinking can have your little conversations with God and feel affirmed, etc. I have no issue with that. Hell, if it feels nice don't think twice. But the absurdity ...[text shortened]... . I've done my part to bring it back online. Do you still wish to end the discussion? 🙂
When praying for something, I believe we get exactly what we need - whether that is what was asked for or not.

l

London

Moves
06 Jun 05

Nope. They may be Christians but have sin in their lives. Our sins create a barrier between us and God and thus he cannot hear.
What the ...??!!

l

London

Moves
06 Jun 05

Originally posted by Nordlys
I have even heard someone claim that god had heard her prayers and let her pass an exam she wasn't very well prepared for. It's amazing how egocentric people can be, or how selective in what they choose to see and remember. One of the most tasteless examples I have seen was at my great-uncle's funeral (strictly speaking this example doesn't involve praye ...[text shortened]... -uncle's daughters, a child, was killed by that bomb. I guess god didn't have any use for her.
Or maybe God had something better for her.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
07 Jun 05

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/jod/texts/augprayer.english.html

For Kneverknight,

Augustine, On the Lord's Sermon on the Mount 2.3.14: On praying.

`But again one might ask whether we are to pray by words or deeds and what need there is for prayer, if God already nows what is needful for us. But it is because the act of prayer clarifies and purges our heart and makes it more capable of receiving the divine gifts that are poured out for us in the spirit. God does not give heed to the ambitiousness of our prayers, because he is always ready to give to us his light, not a visible light but an intellectual and spiritual one: but we are not always read to receive it when we turn aside and down to other things out of a desire for temporal things. For in prayer there occurs a turning of the heart to he who is always ready to give if we will but take what he gives: and in that turning is the purification of the inner eye when the things we crave in the temporal world are shut out; so that the vision of the pure heart can bear the pure light that shines divinely without setting or wavering: and not only bear it, but abide in it; not only without difficulty, but even with unspeakable joy, with which the blessed life is truly and genuinely brought to fulfillment.'

m
Muffin

Moves
07 Jun 05
1 edit

This explains a lot.