Praying in Tongues

Praying in Tongues

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

Anyone on here do this? I do (though should do it more often.)

This is an excellent video on praying in tongues (about 11 minutes long) by Pastor Joseph Prince.

Why is praying in tongues important (and I would say essential) for a Christian? Because, imo, we don’t know, with our limited understanding, what we should be praying for. But the Holy Spirit inside of us does know. And when we pray in tongues, we are enabling the Holy Spirit who is indwelt in us to pray for us.

This video is based in the Holy Bible. I would encourage every Christian on here to watch it. Praying in tongues wasn’t just meant for Christians in Biblical times - it’s meant for us today!

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

Great video of a beautiful Christian woman praying in tongues.

The video’s about 11 minutes long. She begins praying in tongues around 5:30.

Be blessed!

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21
4 edits

@PB1022

I use to try to practice this.
But I think I perhaps was not taught well.

But I did for awhile and enjoyed trying.
My wife had what I would consider more genuine experience of tongues.
Thanks.
This speaker has a very good spirit.

Your video referenced a verse in Titus which I put to music and would like to share -

Titus 2:11-15
https://soundcloud.com/jack-wilmore/for-the-grace-of-god-titus-2

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
31 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
Anyone on here do this? I do (though should do it more often.)

This is an excellent video on praying in tongues (about 11 minutes long) by Pastor Joseph Prince.

Why is praying in tongues important (and I would say essential) for a Christian? Because, imo, we don’t know, with our limited understanding, what we should be praying for. But the Holy Spirit inside of us does k ...[text shortened]... st meant for Christians in Biblical times - it’s meant for us today!

https://youtu.be/tfQ_XB73qPs
Is that in the bible? Paul said if you speak in tongues and do not interpret what you say then you are a waste of time

I would like for all of you to speak in strange tongues; but I would rather that you had the gift of proclaiming God's message. For the person who proclaims God's message is of greater value than the one who speaks in strange tongues---unless there is someone present who can explain what is said, so that the whole church may be helped. So when I come to you, my friends, what use will I be to you if I speak in strange tongues? Not a bit, unless I bring you some revelation from God or some knowledge or some inspired message or some teaching. (1 Corinthians 14:5-6 GNB)

Someone who preaches the Gospel of Christ is of greater value
If nobody interprets what is said in tongues, then you are of no use to anyone

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
31 Dec 21
2 edits

@sonship said
@PB1022

But I think I perhaps was not taught well.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:1-2 KJV)

And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.(1 Corinthians 13:13 KJV)

Moves
31 Dec 21
1 edit

@rajk999 said
Is that in the bible? Paul said if you speak in tongues and do not interpret what you say then you are a waste of time

[i]I would like for all of you to speak in strange tongues; but I would rather that you had the gift of proclaiming God's message. For the person who proclaims God's message is of greater value than the one who speaks in strange tongues---unless there is ...[text shortened]... of greater value
If nobody interprets what is said in tongues, then you are of no use to anyone[/b]
This modern notion that Christians should practice praying in tongues simply isn’t scriptural, it’s also of the flesh not the spirit.

As you correctly point out tongues are spirit empowered, so no need to practice! Scripture says they are for the public edification of the wider body so should be interpreted.

All this man made up stuff is a turn off to other Christians, let alone non Christians.

Moves
31 Dec 21
1 edit

@sonship said
@PB1022
I’m not surprised.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
31 Dec 21

@divegeester said
This modern notion that Christians should practice praying in tongues simply isn’t scriptural, it’s also of the flesh not the spirit.

As you correctly point out tongues are spirit empowered, so no need to practice! Scripture says they are for the public edification of the wider body so should be interpreted.

All this man made up stuff is a turn off to other Christians, let alone non Christians.
This is yet more proof that many Christians dont read their bible and rely on the church to tell them what to do. I bet many of them would be surprised to see this what you say here also stated by Paul, that others will be turned off by this. Paul said people will think they are crazy, and that 5 words that people understand is better than 10,000 words in tongues that nobody understands.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

The Apostle Paul was talking about praying in tongues in public - not in private. I was talking about the latter, as was Pastor Joseph Prince in the video I posted and as was the lady in the second video I posted.

Lover of History

Northants, England

Moves
31 Dec 21

So what language do/did you guys pray in?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@medullah said
So what language do/did you guys pray in?
It’s not a human language. It’s giving the Spirit utterance. The words aren’t important, they’re simply the vehicle through which the Spirit prays.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
31 Dec 21
1 edit

@pb1022 said
The Apostle Paul was talking about praying in tongues in public - not in private. I was talking about the latter, as was Pastor Joseph Prince in the video I posted and as was the lady in the second video I posted.
What an absolutely lame and dishonest comment. Are you saying that the woman was praying in private, but there was a man recording the event. It was published on youtube and who knows where else, and you are here on a public chat site, telling people they need to do like this woman. What exactly is private about all of that?

This is why Christians like you have no integrity or credibility.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@rajk999 said
What an absolutely lame and dishonest comment. Are you saying that the woman was praying in private, but there was a man recording the event. It was published on youtube and who knows where else, and you are here on a public chat site, telling people they need to do like this woman. What exactly is private about all of that?

This is why Christians like you have no integrity or credibility.
Why don’t you think a little more before posting a comment?

The woman on the video prays in tongues in private - her praying in tongues on the video was not the only time she’s done it. She was showing how it’s done.

You sure are quick with the put-downs and insults. Another example of loving God and loving your neighbor as Jesus Christ commanded?

I would never expect you to pray in tongues or to understand it. You don’t believe in any kind of prayer. To you, prayer is “mouth worship” and to be mocked and made fun of.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
31 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
Why don’t you think a little more before posting a comment?

The woman on the video prays in tongues in private - her praying in tongues on the video was not the only time she’s done it. She was showing how it’s done.

You sure are quick with the put-downs and insults. Another example of loving God and loving your neighbor as Jesus Christ commanded?

I would never expect ...[text shortened]... t believe in any kind of prayer. To you, prayer is “mouth worship” and to be mocked and made fun of.
Your continued nonsensical comments about loving God and loving your neighbour, when your doctrine is foolishness, is making you look pretty stupid. You are talking a load of garbage about speaking in tongues which clearly you are ignorant about.

Read this slowly --

NOBODY NEEDS TO SHOW YOU HOW TO DO IT.

IF THAT IS NECESSARY IT IS A FARCE AND A LIE.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@rajk999 said
Your continued nonsensical comments about loving God and loving your neighbour, when your doctrine is foolishness, is making you look pretty stupid. You are talking a load of garbage about speaking in tongues which clearly you are ignorant about.

Read this slowly --

NOBODY NEEDS TO SHOW YOU HOW TO DO IT.

IF THAT IS NECESSARY IT IS A FARCE AND A LIE.
Wow.

So what Jesus Christ said were the two greatest commandments are nonsensical?

And what Pastor Joseph Prince said in that sermon excerpt and the beautiful Christian lady demonstrated are indeed helpful to people who don’t know what praying in tongues is all about.