Praying in Tongues

Praying in Tongues

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

I must be inflammatory.
I must be inflammatory.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@sonship said
I must be inflammatory.
I must be inflammatory.
LOL

Yeah, that summarizes his thought process in here pretty well.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
31 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
It’s not a human language. It’s giving the Spirit utterance. The words aren’t important, they’re simply the vehicle through which the Spirit prays.
This is incorrect. When the NT refers to speaking in tongues the word used is glōssa, meaning 'language.'

This is very much human language, not the language of God/Holy Spirit. Speaking in tongues refers to humans speaking each other's language, even if they do not actually speak the same language. (In effect this is the temporary undoing of the divine punishment following the tower of Babel).

This obviously enabled the disciples of Christ to evangelize to all people in whatever language they happened to speak.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
31 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
Wow.

So what Jesus Christ said were the two greatest commandments are nonsensical?

And what Pastor Joseph Prince said in that sermon excerpt and the beautiful Christian lady demonstrated are indeed helpful to people who don’t know what praying in tongues is all about.
Rubbish. Paul said 5 words in a language that people understand is better than 10,000 words in tongues which nobody understands. Your church doctrine and practices continue to be a failure and contrary to the bible,.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
This is incorrect. When the NT refers to speaking in tongues the word used is glōssa, meaning 'language.'

This is very much human language, not the language of God/Holy Spirit. Speaking in tongues refers to humans speaking each other's language, even if they do not actually speak the same language. (In effect this is the temporary undoing of the divine punishment f ...[text shortened]... led the disciples of Christ to evangelize to all people in whatever language they happened to speak.
I think it has a broader purpose and disagree that it’s a human language, I’m aware the disciples spoke in human languages they didn’t know to spread the Gospel, but I think praying is tongues has a much broader meaning. Otherwise, why would the Apostle Paul say someone needs to interpret the words of a person praying in tongues?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
31 Dec 21

@sonship said
I must be inflammatory.
I must be inflammatory.
I must twist the bible
I must preach false doctrines
I must lead people to damnation

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@rajk999 said
Rubbish. Paul said 5 words in a language that people understand is better than 10,000 words in tongues which nobody understands. Your church doctrine and practices continue to be a failure and contrary to the bible,.
Again, the Apostle Paul was talking about praying in tongues publicly.

I’m talking about praying in tongues privately, which the Apostle Paul did as well.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@rajk999 said
I must twist the bible
Finally you’re admitting it! 😂

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@rajk999 said
This is yet more proof that many Christians dont read their bible and rely on the church to tell them what to do. I bet many of them would be surprised to see this what you say here also stated by Paul, that others will be turned off by this. Paul said people will think they are crazy, and that 5 words that people understand is better than 10,000 words in tongues that nobody understands.
“I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.”

(1 Corinthians 14:18-19)

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
31 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
I think it has a broader purpose and disagree that it’s a human language, I’m aware the disciples spoke in human languages they didn’t know to spread the Gospel, but I think praying is tongues has a much broader meaning. Otherwise, why would the Apostle Paul say someone needs to interpret the words of a person praying in tongues?
But Paul goes on to say, "Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction?"

Paul is saying that simply conveying scripture to them in a language they understand is not enough. He also needs to bring 'some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction.' (Interpret/explain the words).

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
But Paul goes on to say, "Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction?"

Paul is saying that simply conveying scripture to them in a language they understand is not enough. He also needs to bring 'some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction.' (Interpret/explain the words).
So are you saying tongues are not a known human language in that case?

Are you saying the Holy Bible does not reference praying in tongues privately?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
31 Dec 21

@rajk999 said
I must twist the bible
Well, enjoy yourself.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@divegeester said
This modern notion that Christians should practice praying in tongues simply isn’t scriptural, it’s also of the flesh not the spirit.

As you correctly point out tongues are spirit empowered, so no need to practice! Scripture says they are for the public edification of the wider body so should be interpreted.

All this man made up stuff is a turn off to other Christians, let alone non Christians.
<<This modern notion that Christians should practice praying in tongues simply isn’t scriptural, it’s also of the flesh not the spirit.>>

So praying in tongues, which is also known as praying in the Spirit, is of the flesh and not the Spirit? Huh?

<<As you correctly point out tongues are spirit empowered, so no need to practice!>>

Who said anything about practicing?

<<Scripture says they are for the public edification of the wider body so should be interpreted.>>

In some cases. But praying in tongues is also done privately, as those two videos at the beginning of this thread demonstrate.

Just as praying is sometimes done in a group (such as in church) and sometimes done privately, so is praying in tongues.

<<All this man made up stuff is a turn off to other Christians, let alone non Christians.>>

Praying in tongues isn’t “man made up stuff,” it’s in the Holy Bible!

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
31 Dec 21
3 edits

@pb1022 said
Again, the Apostle Paul was talking about praying in tongues publicly.

I’m talking about praying in tongues privately, which the Apostle Paul did as well.
Can I get a citation that says this?

I'll tell you now, I'm not on-board with this 'praying in tongues' idea.

Show me the scripture.

I understand the concept of 'speaking in tongues', but I'm not sure on this 'praying in tongues' idea. People should pray in a language they understand so there is no confusion about what they're saying. God understands your native tongue; there's no need to scramble what you're praying so that even you don't know what you're praying. How is praying from the heart if you don't even know what you're praying?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
31 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
It’s not a human language. It’s giving the Spirit utterance. The words aren’t important, they’re simply the vehicle through which the Spirit prays.
Again, I want to see the difference in scripture between speaking in tongues, and praying in tongues.

The first I get, the second not so much.