1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    18 Oct '17 23:10
    If this is the case then a universal good and bad do not exist
    and any gods which may or may not exist cannot be viewed
    as "good" in any universal way. (Individuals may agree with
    the god's morals but it would not necessarily be universal agreement)

    We would also like to know where and how this "god" obtained his
    personal set of morals.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91521
    19 Oct '17 01:29
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    If this is the case then a universal good and bad do not exist
    and any gods which may or may not exist cannot be viewed
    as "good" in any universal way. (Individuals may agree with
    the god's morals but it would not necessarily be universal agreement)

    We would also like to know where and how this "god" obtained his
    personal set of morals.
    This seems right.

    I couldn't for the life of me come up with a good answer for either question in the other thread.
  3. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    14508
    19 Oct '17 07:39
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    If this is the case then a universal good and bad do not exist
    and any gods which may or may not exist cannot be viewed
    as "good" in any universal way. (Individuals may agree with
    the god's morals but it would not necessarily be universal agreement)

    We would also like to know where and how this "god" obtained his
    personal set of morals.
    Sure thingšŸ˜µ
  4. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    9664
    21 Oct '17 17:03
    Objectively, do what you think is right. This has been the case since, I dunno, the beginning?
  5. Shetland Primary
    Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11823
    21 Oct '17 17:10
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    If this is the case then a universal good and bad do not exist
    and any gods which may or may not exist cannot be viewed
    as "good" in any universal way. (Individuals may agree with
    the god's morals but it would not necessarily be universal agreement)

    We would also like to know where and how this "god" obtained his
    personal set of morals.
    If that is the case torturing a baby for fun cannot always be wrong, but we all know it is.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    21 Oct '17 21:32
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    If that is the case torturing a baby for fun cannot always be wrong, but we all know it is.
    What? Can you explain.
  7. Shetland Primary
    Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11823
    22 Oct '17 03:56
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    What? Can you explain.
    If objective morals don't exist, how is the opinion that it is wrong to torture babies for fun any more valid that the opinion that it isn't?
  8. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    22 Oct '17 04:12
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    If objective morals don't exist, how is the opinion that it is wrong to torture babies for fun any more valid that the opinion that it isn't?
    Are you of the opinion that torturing babies is wrong? Presumably, your answer is yes. What do you base your moral stance vis a vis the torturing of babies on? Is there a line of ancient Hebrew text or something?
  9. Shetland Primary
    Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11823
    22 Oct '17 05:54
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Are you of the opinion that torturing babies is wrong? Presumably, your answer is yes. What do you base your moral stance vis a vis the torturing of babies on? Is there a line of ancient Hebrew text or something?
    Because I believe in God I subscribe to moral absolutism. The Bible says you should love your neighbor as you love yourself.

    Moral absolutism: There is at least one principle that ought never to be violated.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_absolutism
  10. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    22 Oct '17 06:101 edit
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Because I believe in God I subscribe to moral absolutism. The Bible says you should love your neighbor as you love yourself.

    Moral absolutism: There is at least one principle that ought never to be violated.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_absolutism
    If it is your opinion that 'torturing babies for fun' is wrong because there's a book you happen to like that says you should love your neighbour as you love yourself, then that's good news for any babies you come into contact with. I don't need the book that you like in order to find 'torturing babies for fun' to be wrong. Having said that, I welcome the effect that book has on your behaviour in so far as it results in morally sound acts.
  11. Shetland Primary
    Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11823
    22 Oct '17 07:03
    Originally posted by @fmf
    If it is your opinion that 'torturing babies for fun' is wrong because there's a book you happen to like that says you should love your neighbour as you love yourself, then that's good news for any babies you come into contact with. I don't need the book that you like in order to find 'torturing babies for fun' to be wrong. Having said that, I welcome the effect that book has on your behaviour in so far as it results in morally sound acts.
    But you still don't believe that there is a universally 'correct' answer to the question, "Is it wrong to torture babies for fun?". If morality is subjective as you say it is it then it is simply your opinion vs someone else's and someone with a different opinion to you is just as entitled to their opinion as you are to yours.
  12. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    22 Oct '17 07:29
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    But you still don't believe that there is a universally 'correct' answer to the question, "Is it wrong to torture babies for fun?". If morality is subjective as you say it is it then it is simply your opinion vs someone else's and someone with a different opinion to you is just as entitled to their opinion as you are to yours.
    You are entitled to have whatever opinions you want about the morality of torturing babies, or about homosexual sex, or about 'getting angry with your brother ', or about exterminating 6 million people in death camps. You are entitled to your opinions on these things although, to varying degrees, the law may restrict your ability to translate your opinions on these matters into actions.
  13. Shetland Primary
    Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11823
    22 Oct '17 07:47
    Originally posted by @fmf
    You are entitled to have whatever opinions you want about the morality of torturing babies, or about homosexual sex, or about 'getting angry with your brother ', or about exterminating 6 million people in death camps. You are entitled to your opinions on these things although, to varying degrees, the law may restrict your ability to translate your opinions on these matters into actions.
    So Hitler was entitled to his opinions? If there is no objective standard by which to differentiate between good and evil, how do you know that Hitler's opinions were wrong?
  14. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    22 Oct '17 07:50
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    So Hitler was entitled to his opinions?
    Of course he was entitled to his opinions. You are entitled to yours. I am entitled to mine.
  15. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    22 Oct '17 07:50
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    If there is no objective standard by which to differentiate between good and evil, how do you know that Hitler's opinions were wrong?
    You've asked me about this before. My answer hasn't changed.
Back to Top