1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 May '07 13:412 edits
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    So what if my 6th sense tells me that God doesn't exist? What would one
    do then?

Nemesio
    That's just it. I think this is why this thread was made. What makes someone believe something that others do not believe in which you cannot "prove"? I am merely relating the evidences by which I believe. Those of faith scratch their heads and are baffled at those who do not connect the dots and those who do not have faith sit and scratch their heads as to why we connect the dots.
  2. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    06 May '07 15:171 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Those of faith scratch their heads and are baffled at those who do not connect the dots and those who do not have faith sit and scratch their heads as to why we connect the dots.
    This is an arrogantly Christiano-centric viewpoint! Those of faith A connect those dots which their
    'sixth sense' detects (whether or not the other five senses confirm or deny them). Those A-ians sit
    and scratch their heads when the B-ians connect different dots that they detect with their 'sixth sense'
    (again, whether or not the other five senses concord with the conclusions).

Those who have no supernatural faith sit and scratch their heads because they opine that the A-ians
    and B-ians are seeing dots that can't be proven to exist, ones that the people of faith will often follow
    in spite of evidence offered by the other five senses.

Nemesio
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    08 May '07 02:36
    That's just it. I think this is why this thread was made. What makes someone believe something that others do not believe in which you cannot "prove"? I am merely relating the evidences by which I believe. Those of faith scratch their heads and are baffled at those who do not connect the dots and those who do not have faith sit and scratch their heads as to why we connect the dots.
    This thread was actually created to make fun of the stupid Christians mentioned in the quoted article who claim they can prove the existance of God without reference to the Bible. I should know, I made this thread.
  4. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    08 May '07 02:47
    ...those who do not have faith sit and scratch their heads as to why we connect the dots.
    Oooh look! It's a giant crab!

http://www.novareinna.com/constellation/cancer8.jpg
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    08 May '07 03:09
    Originally posted by dottewell

That's really making the most out of a few meager dots. I don't think even the christians could come up with anything with as few dots to connect.
  6. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    08 May '07 04:19
    Originally posted by dottewell

lol, for realz....
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    08 May '07 04:27
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    This thread was actually created to make fun of the stupid Christians mentioned in the quoted article who claim they can prove the existance of God without reference to the Bible. I should know, I made this thread.
    But they can't use the Bible to prove the existence of God...that's circular reasoning. 😛
  8. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 May '07 07:58
    So presumably this debate and proof has happened now. I've heard no "Christian God scientifically proved" stories on the national news. Surely this would be worldwide by now and people of other faiths would be converting in their millions.

Anyone got a link to a video of the debate?

--- Penguin.
  9. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    08 May '07 09:53
    Originally posted by Penguin
    So presumably this debate and proof has happened now. I've heard no "Christian God scientifically proved" stories on the national news. Surely this would be worldwide by now and people of other faiths would be converting in their millions.

Anyone got a link to a video of the debate?

--- Penguin.
    Happens in the next few days I think.
  10. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 May '07 11:031 edit
    Happens in the next few days I think.
    from the original post:

ABC has said that they will film the debate, which will take place on May 5 in New York City, and will stream it live on their website as well as use footage for their program Nightline. Martin Bashir, co-anchor of Nightline, will moderate the event.

So it supposedly happened on Saturday. I shall have to have a look on the website to see if we can download it. In any event, surely such a scientific proof of the existance of the Christian god would be big worldwide news as soon as it was made public?

--- Penguin.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 May '07 11:12
    So it supposedly happened on Saturday. I shall have to have a look on the website to see if we can download it. In any event, surely such a scientific proof of the existance of the Christian god would be big worldwide news as soon as it was made public?
    Did they say that their proof was scientific or that it was proof for the Christian God? Most claims of proof of God that I have seen in the past turn out to be a claim of "I cant explain it so there must be something more which I will call God, and after further investigation not included in this proof I have found that the aforementioned entity is actually the Christian God."
    In fact, ID is along those lines and is nothing more than a failed attempt to show that there are things in the universe that science is incapable of explaining. Not only do ID supporters fail to make their case but also try to promote a the fallacy that if it cant be explained by science then that is evidence that their alternative explanation is valid.
  12. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    08 May '07 11:18
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Did they say that their proof was scientific or that it was proof for the Christian God? Most claims of proof of God that I have seen in the past turn out to be a claim of "I cant explain it so there must be something more which I will call God, and after further investigation not included in this proof I have found that the aforementioned entity is actua ...[text shortened]... ant be explained by science then that is evidence that their alternative explanation is valid.
    I can't explain why gravity so therefore the universal ether must cause it.
  13. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 May '07 12:521 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Did they say that their proof was scientific or that it was proof for the Christian God? Most claims of proof of God that I have seen in the past turn out to be a claim of "I cant explain it so there must be something more which I will call God, and after further investigation not included in this proof I have found that the aforementioned entity is actua ant be explained by science then that is evidence that their alternative explanation is valid.
    From the original post:

"Most people equate atheism with intellectualism," explained Comfort in a statement, "but it's actually an intellectual embarrassment. I am amazed at how many people think that God's existence is a matter of faith. It's not, and I will prove it at the debate – once and for all. This is not a joke. I will present undeniable scientific proof that God exists.

So yes, he is saying that his proof is scientific.

I don't think he explicitely states that it's the Christian god he's talking about but I think we can safely say that he's not talking about Thor!

--- Penguin.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 May '07 13:32
    So yes, he is saying that his proof is scientific.

I don't think he explicitely states that it's the Christian god he's talking about but I think we can safely say that he's not talking about Thor!
    But he is not using the usual scientific way of presenting his findings. One would have expected him to write an article in a peer reviewed journal or something not have a t.v. debate. My experience with debates, especially live ones is that if the opposition is not suitable or has not had time to review the subject material beforehand then it is next to impossible to get a full analysis of both sides.

If his results are genuine and can be verified do you think he deserves the nobel prize? Surely scientific proof of anything external to the universe would be one of the greatest scientific 'discoveries' of all time?
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 May '07 15:29
    Originally posted by rwingett
    That's really making the most out of a few meager dots. I don't think even the christians could come up with anything with as few dots to connect.
    Christians can come up with reasons, debates, thousands of years of logic, theology and killing based on just ONE dot. Like creating an onion from the inside out.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree