1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Sep '15 02:04
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Anyway you look at it, it is idolatry. You stand on your own, no God needed. You are a self made man. Someone once said...
    "Show me a self made man with his feet firmly planted in the ground and I'll show you someone who can't get his pants on.
    Claiming that people who do not share your belief - in the God figure that you yourself just so happen to believe in - are engaging in "idolatry", while you yourself are worshipping a supernatural being, is small-p political wordplay and rhetoric of a shoddy self-reverential kind. 🙂
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Sep '15 02:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    Claiming that people who do not share your belief - in the God figure that you yourself just so happen to believe in - are engaging in "idolatry", while you yourself are worshipping a supernatural being, is small-p political wordplay and rhetoric of a shoddy self-reverential kind. 🙂
    I have no quarrel with you FMF, be well and enjoy your life without God.
    BTW, I do find it strange that you and others seem to hang out in this forum.
    When I was an unbeliever, this would be the last place I would be found at. 🙂
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Sep '15 02:42
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    I have no quarrel with you FMF, be well and enjoy your life without God.
    BTW, I do find it strange that you and others seem to hang out in this forum.
    When I was an unbeliever, this would be the last place I would be found at. 🙂
    If by "quarrel" you mean "debate and discussion", then I do have a quarrel with you! But if it means animosity or some such, then of course not. 😛

I find spirituality-human condition-religiosity pretty interesting. I find the intellectual behaviour of people when they talk about their beliefs to be fascinating, and their ability/inability to process dissent or diversity in particular.

Of course, people are free to make what they will of my intellectual behaviour too, and I welcome their responses, although it's interesting to note how many of those responses are just deflections or insults.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Sep '15 04:391 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I was talking more in a 'macro' 'micro' context. I may not believe my life has any universal meaning (on the world stage) but believe it does have meaning in regards to my family and immediate environment. (My local theatre). - I do believe that most people have a conscience that differentiates between right and wrong (a moral compass if you like) bu ...[text shortened]... e in such a thing; perhaps not a grand 'universal meaning' or purpose, but meaning all the same.
    Those moments make our lives! Kudos for you too!
    I believe moments like that would make anyone's life too, I don't think the things that are
    truly good are only thought so by just a handful of us. So that means we share
    something, that something is important to us all, we may not look it exactly the same way,
    but we know its real and we appeal to it when we speak to one another about right and
    wrong, we use it to judge our lives and those around us.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree