1. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jun '18 20:11
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    A better question, perhaps, would be: Are Jehovah’s Witnesses, who reject the deity of Jesus Christ, actually Christians?

What say you, Heartpence?
    Does your question imply that not believing Jesus is God disqualifies one from being a Christian?

People seem annoyed at me for repeating these sort of questions, but your post seems to prove that deep down, Christians stick their noses up at other 'Christians' who believe something different.

What is a Christian?
    A real Christian?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jun '18 20:14
    Originally posted by @chaney3
    Does your question imply that not believing Jesus is God disqualifies one from being a Christian?

People seem annoyed at me for repeating these sort of questions, but your post seems to prove that deep down, Christians stick their noses up at other 'Christians' who believe something different.

What is a Christian?
    A real Christian?
    I like Billy Graham’s position, that what unites Christians is believing Jesus Christ was the Son of God, was sacrificed for the sins of the world and was Resurrected.

I think those elements are essential to the definition of a Christian.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jun '18 20:15
    Originally posted by @chaney3

What is a Christian?
    A real Christian?
    I asked you a while back who Jesus was to you - a mortal man, an angel, God in the flesh or something else.

Do you plan on responding at some point?
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    01 Jun '18 20:21
    Well, you just have to take it. Be polite, and if they want to spend six hours talking your ears off, you just have to sit there and take it.
    Oh no, now I tell them "fck off" and slam the door in their face.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    01 Jun '18 20:22
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    I have a JW church not to far from me so they frequent this village often. How I have dealt with them is to ask them several questions before they start on their rant to convert me:
    - do you know that Charles Russel was a fraudster?
    - how many false predictions of the return of Christ have the Watchtower made in the last 100 years?
    - do you know that yo ...[text shortened]... sexual misconduct or covering up sexual misconduct ?

They usually leave shaking their heads.
    I'll tell them this first THEN to go fkk off.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jun '18 20:23
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Oh no, now I tell them "fck off" and slam the door in their face.
    That’s totally rude. Instead, you should offer them beverages and if they’re not done talking after six or seven hours, invite them to spend the night.

They get the bed - you get the floor.

And in the morning, wake up early and make them breakfast. And if they want to keep talking after breakfast, why you just sit there and listen.
  7. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    01 Jun '18 21:37
    That’s totally rude. Instead, you should offer them beverages and if they’re not done talking after six or seven hours, invite them to spend the night.

They get the bed - you get the floor.

And in the morning, wake up early and make them breakfast. And if they want to keep talking after breakfast, why you just sit there and listen.
    The last time a couple JW's knocked on my door, I ended up arguing with them. They (well, she, with an apparent trainee) posed a question, "Who is in control of everything?" I replied, "God." Oh they had me then. "No, that's wrong. The devil is in control of everything we see. He rules the Earth." So, I politely explained that as far as I'm concerned, God is in full control. Yes, the devil is said to be the ruler of "the world," but that means he has influence over people OF this world. Christians are not of this world. GOD is in control. There is nothing beyond, or out of his control.

They went on to recommend I come to their church and learn, and I asked for a pamphlet and sent them on their way. The pamphlet was appropriately and immediately filed in the kitchen trashcan.
  8. S. Korea
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 01:15
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    In 2002, a British woman was so annoyed by Jehovah Witnesses repeatedly knocking on her door, she waited until they were holding a service, then started pounding on the front doors of their church. Then, she tried to get them to change religions. After about a half-hour, she was forced to leave.

https://crazyfacts.com/tag/religion/

When it c ...[text shortened]... , how pushy should a Christian be pushing? Is it okay to bring religion to someone's front door?
    We can think of it a bit in the Penn Gillette style and say that if someone believes that you are going to go to hell for not believing in their God, wouldn't they be a jerk if they did not try to get you to convert?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 01:532 edits
    In 2002, a British woman was so annoyed by Jehovah Witnesses repeatedly knocking on her door, she waited until they were holding a service, then started pounding on the front doors of their church. Then, she tried to get them to change religions. After about a half-hour, she was forced to leave.
    I have always rather enjoyed my interaction with JWs in the real world and have not found it overly intrusive or overbearing. I befriended a JW couple when I was living in Japan and had lunch a couple of times as Deny's.

I knew a JW couple in Britain too - although the friendship grew deeper after they got disfellowshipped - they [and their children] were both ostracized and bullied for ages after they left the organization.

I had a few long talks with a couple who came round sometimes when I lived in Australia but they were not well equipped to do much more than regurgitate what they had to say and weren't much good at adapting it to the intricacies of conversing on it.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 02:43
    Originally posted by @fmf
    I have always rather enjoyed my interaction with JWs in the real world and have not found it overly intrusive or overbearing. I befriended a JW couple when I was living in Japan and had lunch a couple of times as Deny's.

I knew a JW couple in Britain too - although the friendship grew deeper after they got disfellowshipped - they [and their children] were b ...[text shortened]... hat they had to say and weren't much good at adapting it to the intricacies of conversing on it.
    <<I had a few long talks with a couple who came round sometimes when I lived in Australia but they were not well equipped to do much more than regurgitate what they had to say and weren't much good at adapting it to the intricacies of conversing on it.>>

Maybe they didn’t feel like answering a zillion rapid-fire questions and just wanted to enjoy their lunch in peace.
  11. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 07:11

I knew a JW couple in Britain too - although the friendship grew deeper after they got disfellowshipped - they [and their children] were b ...[text shortened]... hat they had to say and weren't much good at adapting it to the intricacies of conversing on it.
    Unfortunately, my own 'real life' interactions with JWs haven't been quite so pleasant.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 07:21
    Unfortunately, my own 'real life' interactions with JWs haven't been quite so pleasant.
    Interactions with robbie carrobie, it has to be said, were not always so pleasant. He was deeply spiteful, infantile, and bizarrely repetitive ~ ad nauseam ~ with his odious little flogged-to-death catchphrases and buzzword insults.
  13. S. Korea
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 08:51

How is that on topic? Did anybody ASK you to tell us some silly anecdote about yourself?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 08:58
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    How is that on topic? Did anybody ASK you to tell us some silly anecdote about yourself?
    The topic is "Pushy Christians". Someone had the JWs in their sights, as well they might. However, I had a 'counter-anecdote', so to speak. Door-to-door "pushy" JWs get a bad rap, understandably so. But it's not the whole story. Not in my experience. Seems to me that was worth adding to the discussion.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 09:36

https://crazyfacts.com/tag/religion/

When it c ...[text shortened]... , how pushy should a Christian be pushing? Is it okay to bring religion to someone's front door?
    That’s a great story.

I haven’t seen a JW at my door for many years; I suspect that they don’t do as much of it, but they would never admit to that of course

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree