1. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 14:17
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    You might be thinking of the idiom "have something on one's conscience".
    No, I think that the term is not commonly used to mean the ability to distinguish right from wrong but rather more to do with the effect on a person making what he/she believes to be the wrong choice. If I say someone is 'without a conscience' then I imply he knows what is wrong but does it anyway without remorse.

From Wikipedia:
    Conscience is a moral faculty that leads to feelings of remorse when we do things that go against our moral precepts. Such feelings are not intellectually reached, though they may cause us to 'examine our conscience' and review those moral precepts, or perhaps resolve to avoid repeating the behavior.
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 14:18
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Huh?
    I mean that knowing right from wrong and knowing what is sin are not reconcilable.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 14:331 edit
    Originally posted by Starrman
    No it won't, as long as satan desires it, the illusion can convince you that you are acting in accordance with god's word when you are not.
    Satan only has power over you if you have have sin in your life.
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 14:36
    Are you suggesting that conscience is absolute across humanity?
    Each person will be judged according to the light that they have received.
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 14:40
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So we can all blame Satan on judgment day? How nice.

What happened to free will?

What happened to God being fair? (He let the devil loose on some of us).

So are you claiming to be luckier than the rest of us (you found the truth) or cleverer? Did God pick you at random (yes I know you hate randomness) or does he have some other means of prejudgment.
    The only person you will have to blame on judgment day is yourself.

All the choices we make in life have consequences.
  6. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 14:49
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    He tried something akin to religion, not Christianity. Keep trying.
    Bertrand Russell, who had more eloquence in his little finger than a lion's den full of sappy Christian apologists. Dan Barker, who has forgotten more about "Christianity" than most Christians will ever know. Of course, I'm sure you'll cop the attitude that they were never real "Christians" anyway. How convenient for you.
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 14:54
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Satan only has power over you if you have have sin in your life.
    And what if you had sin when satan found you? Before you became a christian he tricked you into believing you were repenting when you were not and has been doing so ever since then.
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 14:552 edits
    Each person will be judged according to the light that they have received.
    What does that mean? If you're a jungle person you cannot sin because you recieved no light? Stop riddling and speak plainly.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 15:05
    Originally posted by David C
    Bertrand Russell, who had more eloquence in his little finger than a lion's den full of sappy Christian apologists. Dan Barker, who has forgotten more about "Christianity" than most Christians will ever know. Of course, I'm sure you'll cop the attitude that they were never real "Christians" anyway. How convenient for you.
    So if you stand before God one day you will use the names of these two men as an excuse?

I am afraid your blood will be on their hands.
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 15:11
    And what if you had sin when satan found you? Before you became a christian he tricked you into believing you were repenting when you were not and has been doing so ever since then.
    When the Son sets you free you will be free indeed.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 15:14
    What does that mean? If you're a jungle person you cannot sin because you recieved no light? Stop riddling and speak plainly.
    If you are a jungle person you have only a little bit of light (your conscience). To him that much has been given, much will be asked.
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 15:15
    When the Son sets you free you will be free indeed.
    Ack! You're like the end of Seargent Pepper's on vinyl.

I'm asking you what would happen if you were decieved before you had found Christ. You can't say Christ would save you, because you've already told me that you can only come to god once you have repented. If you are decieved into thinking you have repented when you have not and have come to Satan when you thougt you had come to god, you'd act just the way you act now. Why do you keep going in circles?
  13. Sydney
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 15:18
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Name one.
    I would also like to name myself.

The first 12 years of my life went something like this:
    I was born to my parents who were both in a Christian (Pentacostal, for those who care) church. I left the hospital as an infant, and the next day I was at the weekly Wednesday night service. From there I attended every regular service; Sunday mornings, Sunday nights, and Wednesday evenings, as well as bible study meetings every second Friday night, outreaches (yeah, we went around cramming Jesus down people's throats at the local mall) on Saturday mornings, additional youth groups, prayer meetings, church camps, fellowship conferences where I'd skip school to attend two daytime services and a night time meeting every day for a week, plus additional Saturday night meetings when a guest preacher would visit (about once a month).

ALL of my friends were from church. I never had TV, and never listened to secular music. I never had friends through primary school because they were all dirty sinners who believed in Santa Claus. You know Rod and Tod from The Simpsons? That was me, 'cept I didn't know about The Simpsons because TV is Satan.

My parents divorced because my dad got kicked out of the church when he found a scripture (Deut 14:12) that went against the tithing teachings of the church and decided to question my pastor, yet I stayed with my mother, in church, because Jesus wanted me to... all the while praying for the soul of my "evil backslider" of a father.

Long story short, I did more than "try" Christianity. If anything, it was driven into me to the point where there was no separation between myself and the church. Finally, during/after puberty, I chose to break away from the mental prison that is the dogmatic Christian faith.

Need I say more?
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 15:25
    Ack! You're like the end of Seargent Pepper's on vinyl.

I'm asking you what would happen if you were decieved before you had found Christ. You can't say Christ would save you, because you've already told me that you can only come to god once you have repented. If you are decieved into thinking you have repented when you have not and have come to Satan ...[text shortened]... ou had come to god, you'd act just the way you act now. Why do you keep going in circles?
    Repentance is part of the process of coming to God. You cannot repent unless the Son sets you free. If the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. God changes not only what you do but also what you want to do.God changes your very nature. Only God can do this work within you. Repentance does not just come about by saying a quick prayer. It is a long process of purification and spiritual renewal. Satan can not trick you into believing that your nature has changed because your nature is part of you and you will know whether or not you have changed.
  15. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 15:491 edit
    Repentance is part of the process of coming to God. You cannot repent unless the Son sets you free. If the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. God changes not only what you do but also what you want to do.God changes your very nature. Only God can do this work within you. Repentance does not just come about by saying a quick prayer. It is a long pr ...[text shortened]... as changed because your nature is part of you and you will know whether or not you have changed.
    How do you know this? It is possible Satan has been tricking you since before you found christianity. Consequently everything you know since then is a lie, the bible is a hoax created by Satan, the teachings of Jesus are all lies etc. etc. etc. This all presupposes your claims that you would know the difference; you have been tricked into thinking that you would know the difference, when you would not. This allows Satan to have millions of soldiers just like you ready to do his bidding and the best thing of all, you think you're doing it in the name of God. He must be laughing his toasty socks off.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree