question for christians

question for christians

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
03 Apr 06

This question has to do with church attendance. Are we commanded to attend or not?

l

London

Moves
03 Apr 06
1 edit

Originally posted by whodey
This question has to do with church attendance. Are we commanded to attend or not?
We are. Don't know about you.

Clarification: I meant Catholics are. Don't know about other denominations.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
03 Apr 06

I think the deeper question is that if we are "commanded " to , what is the reason for being commanded to?

l

London

Moves
03 Apr 06

Originally posted by kirksey957
I think the deeper question is that if we are "commanded " to , what is the reason for being commanded to?
Along the same lines, it might be worthwhile to ask what the nature of the "command" is. Is it the nature of a general commanding his troops to enter the battlefield, a mother commanding her child to eat her veggies, or something else?

w

Moves
03 Apr 06
1 edit

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Along the same lines, it might be worthwhile to ask what the nature of the "command" is. Is it the nature of a general commanding his troops to enter the battlefield, a mother commanding her child to eat her veggies, or something else?
When I say command I mean to ask does it say anywhere in the Bible that we "should" attend church? If so, where does it say this in the Bible?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
03 Apr 06

When I say command I mean to ask does it say anywhere in the Bible that we "should" attend church? If so, where does it say this in the Bible?
This may be what you are looking for:

Hebrews 10:25

"Let us not give up meeting together,
as some are in the habit of doing,
but let us encourage one another—
and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

l

London

Moves
03 Apr 06

Does it say anywhere in the Bible that everything about the Christian faith is to be found in the Bible? If so, where?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
03 Apr 06

Does it say anywhere in the Bible that everything about the Christian faith is to be found in the Bible? If so, where?
Another verse from Hebrews, this time chapter four:

"For the word of God is alive and powerful. Sharper than any two-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and intents of the heart."

While this does not necessarily command that all aspects of the Christian faith are to be found therein, we are not going to find any endorsement of extra-biblical material as expedient for maturity, etc.

l

London

Moves
03 Apr 06
1 edit

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Another verse from Hebrews, this time chapter four:

"For the word of God is alive and powerful. Sharper than any two-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and intents of the heart."

While this does not necessarily command that all aspects of the Christian faith are to be found therein, ...[text shortened]... e not going to find any endorsement of extra-biblical material as expedient for maturity, etc.
Not true.

1 Cor. 11:

[2] I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions ven as I have delivered them to you.

2 Thess. 2:

[15] So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter.

Clearly Paul is referring to extra-biblical material here.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
03 Apr 06

Not true.

1 Cor. 11:

[2] I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the [b]traditions
ven as I have delivered them to you.

2 Thess. 2:

[15] So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter.

Clearly Paul is referring to extra-biblical material here.[/b]
True as cited. I should have specified extra-canonical, as revelation has ceased. My bad.

Whatever we need is now found within the confines of the canon of Scripture. Even the traditions of gathering together or communion are therein found.

l

London

Moves
03 Apr 06

Whatever we need is now found within the confines of the canon of Scripture.
I claim that's an extra-biblical doctrine.

How would you refute my position?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
03 Apr 06

I claim that's an extra-biblical doctrine.

How would you refute my position?
Not sure I follow, exactly. Be more specific.

l

London

Moves
03 Apr 06
1 edit

Not sure I follow, exactly. Be more specific.
You claim that whatever we need for salvation is found within the Bible. I argue that your claim cannot be supported biblically, ergo it's an extra-biblical doctrine.

EDIT: Or, to put it more plainly, nowhere does the Bible say anything to the effect of "All you need is the Bible".

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
03 Apr 06

You claim that whatever we need for salvation is found within the Bible. I argue that your claim cannot be supported biblically, ergo it's an extra-biblical doctrine.

EDIT: Or, to put it more plainly, nowhere does the Bible say anything to the effect of "All you need is the Bible".
Not just salvation, but spiritual growth. The endorsement of Hebrews (and other passages) is nowhere repeated for other (outside) sources as being on the same level of revelation.

We do not see anywhere in the Bible wherein any person (or writing) is vested with the same authority as is given the books and letters of the Bible. While the pastor is the authority over his flock, that authority is limited to the boundaries of Scripture, ending where he does not agree with the same.

l

London

Moves
03 Apr 06
1 edit

The endorsement of Hebrews (and other passages) is nowhere repeated for other (outside) sources as being on the same level of revelation.
The endorsement of Hebrews does not limit revelation to the Bible either.

We do not see anywhere in the Bible wherein any person (or writing) is vested with the same authority as is given the books and letters of the Bible.

Actually, we do.

Matt. 16:

[18] And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.
[19] I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

This is an instance where authority is vested in an individual.

1 Tim. 3:

[15] if I am delayed, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and bulwark of the truth.

Here a community is called the "pillar and bulwark of the truth".

Both of these are instances were the Hebrews endorsement of Scripture is far superseded. Both these set up absolute standards of truth.

While the pastor is the authority over his flock, that authority is limited to the boundaries of Scripture, ending where he does not agree with the same.

Certainly his authority ends where he disagrees with Scripture. But what if Scripture does not offer positive evidence for his position? Is he still exceeding his authority?

St. Paul's comments on unwritten tradition indicate otherwise.