1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 May '12 02:53
    Originally posted by whodey
    I used to be like RJ. I was told by my church that evolution was evil and mutually exclusive in relation to creationism. I was also instructed that the six days were six literal days, end of discussion or you were a heretic.

However, I then picked up a book called, "Genesis and the Big Bang" by Dr. Gerald Schroeder. In it he revealed that many rabbi sch ...[text shortened]... ng. I don't view it as having any blatant errors that would lead to heretical thinking.
    It's not until I got down to "As for myself, I believe in creationism, and I believe that the universe is billions of years old." , that I got you. Thats great. So do I. more or less. Twist a word here, move a meaning there. Nothing untoward , just my take on things.

It really isn't so much of a stretch as RJ makes it out ... (between science and bible stuff)
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 May '12 02:59
    I used to be like RJ. I was told by my church that evolution was evil and mutually exclusive in relation to creationism. I was also instructed that the six days were six literal days, end of discussion or you were a heretic.

However, I then picked up a book called, "Genesis and the Big Bang" by Dr. Gerald Schroeder. In it he revealed that many rabbi sch ...[text shortened]... ng. I don't view it as having any blatant errors that would lead to heretical thinking.
    I have never claimed any particular translation of the Holy Bible was inspired. It is the orignal scriptures that I have been referring to. If you have noticed I do not always quote from the same version, but I do favor the NASB and the NKJV because they are easier for most people to understand. I do not dismiss the fact that there remains errors in these translations, but I see them as of minor importance to doctrine.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 May '12 02:591 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    It's not until I got down to "As for myself, I believe in creationism, and I believe that the universe is billions of years old." , that I got you. Thats great. So do I. more or less. Twist a word here, move a meaning there. Nothing untoward , just my take on things.

It really isn't so much of a stretch as RJ makes it out ... (between science and bible stuff)
    Well the Bible is not a science book, rather, it is a message to a dying and hurting world of hope. It lays out a better way for us to live and interact now and it lays out a hope for a life hereafter.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 May '12 03:001 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I have never claimed any particular translation of the Holy Bible was inspired. It is the orignal scriptures that I have been referring to. If you have noticed I do not always quote from the same version, but I do favor the NASB and the NKJV because they are easier for most people to understand. I do not dismiss the fact that there remains errors in these translations, but I see them as of minor importance to doctrine.
    Have you ever read the original Hebrew? Translations only lend themselves to error.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 May '12 03:151 edit
    Have you ever read the original Hebrew? Translations only lend themselves to error.
    I have studied more of the Greek New Testament and better understand it than the Hebrew. Actually, I have not spent much time trying to learn Hebrew, even though I have a book in which I am supposed to be able to teach myself, I have failed to do so. I do have an Interlinear Bible of both Hebrew and Greek texts, but more on the Greek New Testament. I have the Gesenius Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon of the Old Testament. But I mainly study the Old Tesstament from my copy of The Septuagint with Apocrypha which is in Greek and English, because I know more about the Greek language.

P.S. It appears that the apostles were using the Septuagint based on some of their quotes of the Old Testament.
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    31 May '12 06:501 edit
    You are not the boss of me.
    right. So will you answer my question?
    Are you unable to?
    Are you too scared to?
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 May '12 07:26
    Originally posted by humy
    right. So will you answer my question?
    Are you unable to?
    Are you too scared to?
    Why should I be scared of you?
    I am able to answer your question.
    I have already anwered your question and there is no need to repeat my answer for you can check it up yourself.
  8. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    31 May '12 08:06
    I have already anwered your question and there is no need to repeat my answer for you can check it up yourself.

where did I suggest you were?

Good. So what is your answer?
    I have already anwered your question

Nope; you answered your own question about “hypothetical lies” that nobody asked, and not my question -well done!
    So, back to my question:

purely hypothetically, IF the Bible ALWAYS TELLS THE TRUTH AND DID explicitly say that the Earth is millions of years old and DID explicitly say abiogenesis and evolution happened and and life and humans evolved by Darwinian evolution with common ancestor and DID explicitly say the Big Bang theory is correct, would you THEN accept the said scientific evidence for evolution and old-Earth etc as being valid evidence?

9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 May '12 08:10

where did I suggest you were?

Good. So what is your answer?
    I have already anwered your question

Nope; you answered your own question about “hypothetical lies” that nobody asked, and not my question -well done!
    So, back to my question: ...[text shortened]... said scientific evidence for evolution and old-Earth etc as being valid evidence?

[/quote]
    Nope, I answered your question.
  10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    31 May '12 08:15
    you answered you own question which was about the Bible telling lies. well done!
    Now state your answer to mine that is NOT a question about the Bible telling lies....
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 May '12 08:30
    If, hypothetically, the Holy Bible was full of lies, it would not be the word of God or the Holy Bible. It would just be a Bible like any other religious book.

Well done; you have answered your own hypothetical question (since you do not believe the Holy Bible is full of lies, but you are able to deduce the consequence of it hypothetically being full of lies).

Now answer Humy's hypothetical question.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Jun '12 04:19
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    If, hypothetically, the Holy Bible was full of lies, it would not be the word of God or the Holy Bible. It would just be a Bible like any other religious book.

Well done; you have answered your own hypothetical question (since you do not believe the Holy Bible is full of lies, but you are able to deduce the consequence of it hypothetically being full of lies).

Now answer Humy's hypothetical question.
  13. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    01 Jun '12 06:112 edits
    We all know that you are too scared to answer the question for it would reveal that your religious beliefs are irrational -why else will you not answer?

And it is obvious to all of us here reading this thread that you have not answered MY question as you keep claiming but rather just your own.
    My question is clearly NOT asking about hypothetical lies but rather hypothetical truths.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Jun '12 08:16
    We all know that you are too scared to answer the question for it would reveal that your religious beliefs are irrational -why else will you not answer?

And it is obvious to all of us here reading this thread that you have not answered MY question as you keep claiming but rather just your own.
    My question is clearly NOT asking about hypothetical lies but rather hypothetical truths.
    Whatever.
  15. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    01 Jun '12 09:33
    Whatever.
    The absence of counterargument in “Whatever” in this context ( i.e. where you still don't answer the question ) indicates “Whatever” means “correct”.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree