1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 11:00
    How do you know when you know The Truth?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 11:18
    Originally posted by josephw
    when you are set free from satanic dogma like, the immortality of the soul, hell-fire
    and the teaching of the trinity.
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 11:511 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    when you are set free from satanic dogma like, the immortality of the soul, hell-fire
    and the teaching of the trinity.
    One minute my flammable soul is going to burn forever in hell...next minute is isn't! Get your stories straight theists! 😵
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 11:53
    i think its impossible to know, all we can do is weigh up the evidence and go with the most likely option.
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 11:561 edit
    When you've read an ancient book of myths and fairy tales telling us we all hellbound "sinners" destined for the lake of fire because some naked bloke in a magic garden ate some naughty apple from a magic tree - but by submitting to baby jeebus we can all be saved™!

That's when you know "The Truth™"
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 12:08
    A much easier question is 'how do you know something is not the truth'. The answer is simple: when it is logically inconsistent. The key here is that the term 'truth' is a logical one.
    Note that logical inconsistency may be internal to a claim or when comparing that claim to other things you believe to be the truth (evidence etc).
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 15:31
    What's going on with the capital t's?
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 19:00
    Originally posted by Agerg
    One minute my flammable soul is going to burn forever in hell...next minute is isn't! Get your stories straight theists! 😵
    Hey !! it's going to be something really,really,really bad so dont mock your pitiful fate!!
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 19:01
    Originally posted by JS357
    What's going on with the capital t's?
    I guess it's part of the question ...
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 19:04
    Answering from a purely altruistic non-caring stance I would say something like "I resonate with it and I recognizes this Truths resonance"

Mind you we could be talking about different "Truths" here. Or are you referring to the One Truth which all others come from? Because I dont really get that, if that is what you mean.
  11. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 19:101 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Hey !! it's going to be something really,really,really bad so dont mock your pitiful fate!!
    aye, I was mistaken to think my magical soul would burn forever and ever and ever and ever. It's actually going to burn

forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ... and ever and ever and ever and ever and ... and ...

All because I cannot delude myself into believing in magic and twinkle dust explanations for the things which happen/ed in the universe.
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 19:13
    The truth about what?
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 19:13
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I guess it's part of the question ...
    How about this as an explanation:

"Use of the upper case "T" in Truth tends to signify that whatever is designated using that word tends to be anything but."

http://weekendpundit.org/2012/03/lying-for-the-cause-serves-no.html

So basically you know you know The Truth when you figure out that it's a Big Lie.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 19:172 edits
    Originally posted by Agerg
    aye, I was mistaken to think my magical soul would burn forever and ever and ever and ever. It's actually going to burn

forever and ever and ever and ever [b]and ever and ... and ever and ever and ever and ever and ... and ...

All because I cannot delude myself into believing in magic and twinkle dust explanations for the things which happen/ed in the universe.[/b]
    magic and twinkle dust,( or other like devices), should not be mentioned in this forum if the poster desires any ounce of respect.

And there are so many logical problems with hell. I guess they would have to keep turning up the heat until infinity otherwise we might get used to it 🙄
    The hell idea is up there with the 6000 year Earth idea for me. Inconceivable. Makes me think you have to be under 13 to join this site
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 19:20
    Originally posted by JS357
    How about this as an explanation:

"Use of the upper case "T" in Truth tends to signify that whatever is designated using that word tends to be anything but."

http://weekendpundit.org/2012/03/lying-for-the-cause-serves-no.html

So basically you know you know The Truth when you figure out that it's a Big Lie.
    Sure. You always have a ring to your explanations, and Jo has left himself wide open with this question...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree