Questions on morality

Questions on morality

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
24 Jan 17
2 edits

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Perhaps.

PersonA: I believe murder is immoral.
PersonB: I believe murder is moral.

PersonA: I consider to be murdered is immoral.
PersonB: I consider to be murdered is moral.

PersonB's morality is not consistent and not equally valid.
Based on what is it not equally valid? Your opinion? Or a transcendent law?

F

Moves
24 Jan 17
1 edit

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
Based on what is it not equally valid?
"Not equally valid"? In whose eyes?

F

Moves
24 Jan 17

http://www.allaboutphilosophy.org/moral-truth.htm
You have been putting forward your superstitious opinions and now you copy paste some stuff written by somebody who has the same sort of superstitious opinions as you. If you think your copy paste achieves something, perhaps you should say what.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
24 Jan 17

Originally posted by FMF
"Not equally valid"? In whose eyes?
Are you saying everyone's view is equally valid? If truth is in the eye of the beholder, then nothing is really false. Truth stands in contrast of that which is false. Which means all views can't be equally valid.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
24 Jan 17
6 edits

Originally posted by FMF
You have been putting forward your superstitious opinions and now you copy paste some stuff written by somebody who has the same sort of superstitious opinions as you. If you think your copy paste achieves something, perhaps you should say what.
So are you saying my 'superstitious opinions' are false and your opinions are true? Think about that for a second. That could only be the logical approach, if you didn't believe that truth is relative. But since you believe that truth is not absolute you can only say that based on your personal preference you don't like my views and maybe you don't like my morals and prefer your own.

F

Moves
24 Jan 17

So are you saying my 'superstitious opinions' are false and your opinions are true?
I am saying my beliefs are different from yours and you have given me no reason to find the stuff you propagate to be credible. I can only seek to make the best decisions about right and wrong that I can given the moral education I have and I cannot, in all honesty, pretend to believe that the stuff you say is true.

Like some others have said, I find the way you frame morality [e.g. likening it to maths, making excuses for genocide, downplaying the Holocaust] to be disconcerting in so far as I think you might be completely hamstrung - as a moral actor - by your dogma. I believe great "evil" could be going on that you might be able to confront or avert, but you would be incapable of acting.

We have already established that I couldn't trust you to protect my children from danger on account of the "universal truths" you espouse.

So, there is nothing edifying or persuasive about the doctrine you promote in your rather autistic way - nor about the borderline dishonest way you conduct yourself.

You are welcome to pursue your moral life in whatever way you choose, but if emotionally speaking you need people like me to tell you I think the stuff you say is "true" and that I am wrong to pursue my moral life in the way I choose, then - no - sorry, I can't do that.

F

Moves
24 Jan 17

But since you believe that truth is not absolute you can only say that based on your personal preference you don't like my views and maybe you don't like my morals and prefer your own.
I have addressed this countless times although you just ignored it over and over again. See Thread 171350

F

Moves
24 Jan 17

Are you saying everyone's view is equally valid?
In my view? No of course not.

It's as if you haven't read anything I've written over the last couple of weeks.

F

Moves
24 Jan 17

Which means all views can't be equally valid.
Who is it you are claiming believes that all views are "equally valid"?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
24 Jan 17

Originally posted by FMF
I am saying my beliefs are different from yours and you have given me no reason to find the stuff you propagate to be credible. I can only seek to make the best decisions about right and wrong that I can given the moral education I have and I cannot, in all honesty, pretend to believe that the stuff you say is true.

Like some others have said, I find the way ...[text shortened]... hat I am wrong to pursue my moral life in the way I choose, then - no - sorry, I can't do that.
So how do you know that the 'moral education' you have is correct? Or don't you?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
24 Jan 17

Originally posted by FMF
In my view? No of course not.

It's as if you haven't read anything I've written over the last couple of weeks.
What leads you to believe that your view is correct?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
24 Jan 17

Originally posted by FMF
Who is it you are claiming believes that all views are "equally valid"?
If you don't believe they are feel free to tell me why they aren't and how you arrived at that conclusion.

F

Moves
24 Jan 17

FMF: Who is it you are claiming believes that all views are "equally valid"?

If you don't believe they are feel free to tell me why they aren't and how you arrived at that conclusion.
I have already addressed the point as to whether I think all moral stances/views are "equally valid"; I don't. You already know the reasons I have given.

So, are you not going to answer my question?

F

Moves
24 Jan 17

What leads you to believe that your view is correct?
I have told you umpteen times what I believe are the sources of my moral sensibilities (they are the same as yours), what morality is for, how one arrives at a decision as to the correct and incorrect thing to do, and yet you are asking yet again. Please refer to my earlier answers on the other thread.

F

Moves
24 Jan 17
1 edit

So how do you know that the 'moral education' you have is correct? Or don't you?
I wrote two or three long posts - to which I applied some time and thought, which I addressed to you, and which were a direct engagement of things you were saying (which are more or less the same things as you are saying now) - to address this question, on the "Hitler" thread. You studiously avoided responding to them or addressing any of their content. That was your opportunity.