Questions on morality

Questions on morality

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
24 Jan 17

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
Is the following statement true or false? “It is always wrong for everyone to torture babies to death merely for one’s personal pleasure.”

A) It is true.
B) It is not true.
C) It is neither true or false
D) It is a trick question and has no meaning
Dear sir,
Please be aware, there is a 'torturing babies for fun tax' in these forums, whereby using the words 'torturing babies for fun' carries a £10 taxation. - On this basis you currently owe the RHP Treasury £860.

Please also note there is a similar taxation for use of the word 'absolute' for which you currently owe the sum of £3230.

Swift payment would be appreciated.

RHP Taxation Officer

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
24 Jan 17
3 edits

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
(e) True to the best of my knowledge, although that knowledge, like yours, is limited. I of course accept as I presume would any reasonable person that there may be circumstances of which I am unaware under which the statement would be false.

Is that the only moral absolute you have? You have repeatedly claimed that you believe in moral absolute[b ...[text shortened]... ainst theft reflects a moral absolute? And the rest of the commandments? And slavery, that's ok?
So there is nothing you are sure about? You only exist to the best of your knowledge. You might find out some day that you don't. Are you sure what your name is? Your date of birth? Male? Female? Are you human? Cat? Alien? Are you only an atheist to the best of your knowledge?

Not sure?
Good night.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
24 Jan 17

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Dear sir,
Please be aware, there is a 'torturing babies for fun tax' in these forums, whereby using the words 'torturing babies for fun' carries a £10 taxation. - On this basis you currently owe the RHP Treasury £860.

Please also note there is a similar taxation for use of the word 'absolute' for which you currently owe the sum of £3230.

Swift payment would be appreciated.

RHP Taxation Officer
Struck a nerve have I?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
24 Jan 17

So there is nothing you are sure about? You only exist to the best of your knowledge. You might find out some day that you don't. Are you sure what your name is? Your date of birth? Male? Female? Are you human? Cat? Alien?

Not sure?
Good night.
I answered your question, and yet you again refuse to answer any of mine? I suppose I should not be surprised, you are clearly smart enough to realise that your argument is insupportable despite your dogged adherence to your position.

Let us then suppose that one day you are in church, knee bent in supplication to your god, deep in prayer for guidance, and an angel appears to you clothed in fiery raiment and respendent in heavenly glory. Suppose this angel tells you that in order to prepare a body for the next coming of christ and thus the last battle, you must embark on a career of wild and reckless slaughter of innocents. He (or she, whatever) insists that it is imperative that you inflict as much pain as you can upon the holy victims, and that you are encouraged, nay, required to enjoy your divinely ordained task. One of your victims, if you can reap enough pleasure from the act and inflict enough pain on the victim, may be suitable to be raised as the next coming.

Still morally wrong?

Moves
24 Jan 17

Struck a nerve have I?
I think you 'have a nerve' to keep asking the same questions while ignoring the answers.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
24 Jan 17
2 edits

I answered your question, and yet you again refuse to answer any of mine? I suppose I should not be surprised, you are clearly smart enough to realise that your argument is insupportable despite your dogged adherence to your position.

Let us then suppose that one day you are in church, knee bent in supplication to your god, deep in prayer for guid ...[text shortened]... gh pain on the victim, may be suitable to be raised as the next coming.

Still morally wrong?
You dear sir cannot even account for your own rationality yet you want to have a rational discussion?

In this fake scenario you imagine does the God of the Bible exist or not? Are the events that I experience real or a figment of my imagination?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
24 Jan 17

I think you 'have a nerve' to keep asking the same questions while ignoring the answers.
And I think you have a nerve to say there may be scenarios where torturing a baby for fun is morally acceptable.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
24 Jan 17
1 edit

You dear sir cannot even account for your own rationality yet you want to have a rational discussion?

In this fake scenario you imagine does the God of the Bible exist or not? Or is he only the figment of my imagination?
Ah! The concrete certainty of youth, well I remember it, and you will too, eventually.

This is not a 'fake' scenario, it's hypothetical, like your tribe of cannibals. And, just like in the real world, you have your faith to tell you that the god of the bible does exist, and no other evidence. If it is some sort of hallucination, it is entirely convincing. Are you going to ask the angel to prove his reality to you?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
24 Jan 17

Ah! The concrete certainty of youth, well I remember it, and you will too, eventually.

This is not a 'fake' scenario, it's hypothetical, like your tribe of cannibals. And, just like in the real world, you have your faith to tell you that the god of the bible does exist, and no other evidence. If it is some sort of hallucination, it is entirely convincing. Are you going to ask the angel to prove his reality to you?
Sorry but my scenario with the cannibals is realistic, yours isn't.

Moves
24 Jan 17

And I think you have a nerve to say there may be scenarios where torturing a baby for fun is morally acceptable.
Please link to where I said that.

Thanks

r

Moves
24 Jan 17

In this fake scenario you imagine does the God of the Bible exist or not? Are the events that I experience real or a figment of my imagination?
Still dodging his first question

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
24 Jan 17

Sorry but my scenario with the cannibals is realistic, yours isn't.
How is it not realistic? You don't believe in angels? And yours was extremely unrealistic. I did explain that to you at the time, but that was one of the posts you chose to ignore. You have to ignore a lot of posts to maintain your position don't you? Why is that, do you think?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
24 Jan 17

See my post three posts above for a scenario where torturing a baby for fun is morally acceptable.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
24 Jan 17

Please link to where I said that.

Thanks
Ghost: There are no moral absolutes.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
24 Jan 17

Let us then suppose that one day you are in church, knee bent in supplication to your god, deep in prayer for guid ...[text shortened]... gh pain on the victim, may be suitable to be raised as the next coming.

Still morally wrong?
Hypothetically I wouldn't do it because I would hypothetically understand that I am living in the times after the new testament and not during the old testament. So I would hypothetically dismiss it as a hallucination. How about you?