1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 03:131 edit
    Its a fine line between a good joke and a putdown at times.
    Apperantly Graem Swann, of the English cricket team currently touring Australia, is quite witty with his onfield sledging. Seems things have changed from the days when bear-like aussie paceman Merv Hughes had nothing but "EfF OFFF" to any English batsmen he got out.
    The point is they're all friends at the end of the series. Actually Allan Border was accused of being too friendly to the English cricketers, often visiting their change rooms for a chat.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 04:54
    Originally posted by menace71
    I'm in the middle on this. if someone poses and idea or concept they need to understand that it will be challenged. Is that harassment? No. Some are quick to think that however. I can vehemently disagree with someone yet keep it as civil as I can. The flip side of it is people get very charged up on the subjects.
    Overall I agree though with OP

Manny
    I've seen more than a few start crying "harrassment" when they get challenged. It's even worse when they also start making all manner of false accusations in an attempt to "play the victim". Fortunately it's easy to recognize those who do. In the case of the false accusations, all one need do is challenge them to back it up. If they don't, they have been exposed.
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 04:59
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    I've seen more than a few start crying "harrassment" when they get challenged. It's even worse when they also start making all manner of false accusations in an attempt to "play the victim". Fortunately it's easy to recognize those who do. In the case of the false accusations, all one need do is challenge them to back it up. If they don't, they have been exposed.
    Or maybe they see no need to waist the time as nothing would ever be accomplished no matter what truth is said. Some here refuse to listen and possibly learn something.......................
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 05:131 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Or maybe they see no need to waist the time as nothing would ever be accomplished no matter what truth is said. Some here refuse to listen and possibly learn something.......................
    It's easy to make false accusations. Unscrupulous individuals do it all the time. A person of integrity provides proof either with the accusation or when challenged to do so. Unscrupulous individuals balk and sometimes make lame excuses as to why.
  5. weedhopper
    Moves
    24 Dec '10 05:25
    Originally posted by josephw
    I've been hearing a lot about abuses in this forum lately.

It's a debate forum for crying out loud!

If every abuse was reported we'd all be banned. If you don't like it, or can't take it, then leave, or don't debate with the one you don't like.

But quit crying and running to your mama. Stand up like an adult. Or leave.
    Every insult hasn't been reported...yet. But I am working on it.
  6. Wat?
    Moves
    24 Dec '10 08:02
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Its a fine line between a good joke and a putdown at times.
    Apperantly Graem Swann, of the English cricket team currently touring Australia, is quite witty with his onfield sledging. Seems things have changed from the days when bear-like aussie paceman Merv Hughes had nothing but "EfF OFFF" to any English batsmen he got out.
    The point is they're all f ...[text shortened]... f being too friendly to the English cricketers, often visiting their change rooms for a chat.
    😀 chuckles 😀
  7. weedhopper
    Moves
    24 Dec '10 16:00
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    There have been many niggles between certain people on here in the past, I wont mention any negative names, of course, but I will say, at times, I find a "slap in the face" a gentle reminder that perhaps some have not been behaving like adults and of course there will always be those that subscribe to "an eye for an eye".
    I prefer the Israeli axiom: an eye (of mine) for 1000 (of you and yours). I wish to make clear this is not something I came up with on my own--I've heard it countless times over the years. And the "you and yours" is generic--it is not directed at any specific person, real or imagined, living or dead.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Dec '10 17:19
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I prefer the Israeli axiom: an eye (of mine) for 1000 (of you and yours). I wish to make clear this is not something I came up with on my own--I've heard it countless times over the years. And the "you and yours" is generic--it is not directed at any specific person, real or imagined, living or dead.
    your point being?
  9. weedhopper
    Moves
    25 Dec '10 03:51
    My point is that it is not any other's place to declare another person a Christian or not. God knows the human heart and no one else does, and anyone who speaks untruthfully--such as, say, announcing that one is not a believer in Christ, that person has made a most egregious public comment. And fortunately, we as citizens have redress for those kinds of actions.
  10. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    25 Dec '10 11:291 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    What you think your hearing may not be the whole story as you may not know all the facts, so I don't think it's a good call on yours or anyones part to say anything goes here on this forum. This is supposedly a religious forum and we should hopefully be respectful of each other as adults and expect that from each other. Harassmennt of any form is never a ...[text shortened]... harassed that is his right and personal opinion to object that and not yours to say it isn't.
    This is supposedly a religious forum and we should hopefully be respectful of each other as adults and expect that from each other.

I don't see why respect should be transitive, i.e. just because Alice respects Bob, and Bob respects his religion; this doesn't mean Alice should respect Bob's religion.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Dec '10 08:58
    My point is that it is not any other's place to declare another person a Christian or not. God knows the human heart and no one else does, and anyone who speaks untruthfully--such as, say, announcing that one is not a believer in Christ, that person has made a most egregious public comment. And fortunately, we as citizens have redress for those kinds of actions.
    But if no one declared people as chistians then I assume your christian god would have to, and how does one speak to this god? By dying?

There are "christians" everywhere. Are you trying to say they are all false christians because they were declared "christian" by other humans or that only those who hear gods word can become christians or what?

I dont get it.

As usual , i will interpret this as another christian spiel that maintains the separation between man and god. Surely , a miserable state of affairs.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Dec '10 09:02
    "God knows the human heart and no one else does"

What if I told you I know the human heart? On what grounds could you dismiss my appraisals of the human heart? Because god didn't say it?

I think a lot of people know the human heart. At least in part. Much the same as their knowledge of god, partial, yet I wouldn't dismiss the potential of humans to rise to the knowledge of god. After all, thats basically what my life is based on.
  13. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    26 Dec '10 12:23
    Yeah, so what if it's obviously diametrically opposed to what jesus taught eh?
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Dec '10 13:17
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Yeah, so what if it's obviously diametrically opposed to what jesus taught eh?
    Most of what appears in this forum is diametrically opposed to what Jesus taught.
  15. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    26 Dec '10 13:23
    Originally posted by josephw
    Most of what appears in this forum is diametrically opposed to what Jesus taught.
    And? Are you voicing support for this poster's "one-thousand-eyes for an eye" philosophy?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree