1. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 14:211 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I'm confused: was it the public or private system that caused your jumbled means of expression?
    Public or private that taught such poor spelling?
    Either way, you've been ripped off!
    mabey it was you in your own need to impose the system you learnt.that one that taught you continual lack of respect.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 14:33
    Originally posted by windmill
    mabey it was you in your own need to impose the system you learnt.that one that taught you continual lack of respect.
    God forbid there be anything like rules, otherwise people's feelings might get hurt, right?
    Quit your whining and start living. I know that sounds a little like "Dr." Phil, but get over yourself and quit being so arrogant.
  3. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 14:391 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    God forbid there be anything like rules, otherwise people's feelings might get hurt, right?
    Quit your whining and start living. I know that sounds a little like "Dr." Phil, but get over yourself and quit being so arrogant.
    i said very clearly before if you had trouble reading that this is not about anyone being my doctor.this topic is about the system.you the one wining here....not me.oppps sorry that's whining(my mistake).
  4. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 14:503 edits
    so hey...does anyone else even care about the children and the way the system can affect them?i want to hear what you have to say.
  5. Colorado
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 19:37
    so hey...does anyone else even care about the children and the way the system can affect them?i want to hear what you have to say.
    In the U.S. ever since prayer was banned in 1962 the problems in our educational system have just gotten worse.

http://www.forerunner.com/forerunner/X0124_When_America_stopped.html

“Specialty Research Associates, under the direction of David Barton, has released a report entitled America: To Pray or Not to Pray which uses over 100 pages of graphs and statistical analysis to prove that crime, venereal disease, premarital sex, illiteracy, suicide, drug use, public corruption, and other social ills began a dramatic increase after the Engel vs. Vitale Supreme Court decision was made in 1962 which banned school prayer.”

Here is a link that gives some actual statistics.

http://www.christian-education-uk.co.uk/article/za_prayer.html

I know you’re going through somewhat of a spiritual crises right now, but God is still the answer. If you don’t like other peoples description of him then find your own God.

"A Congress that allows God to be banned from our schools while our schools can teach about cults, Hitler and even devil worship is wrong, out of touch, and needs some common sense." Rep. James Traficant, (D-OH) 1999-APR-27.
  6. Standard memberjimmyb270
    Top Gun
    Angels 20
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 11:36
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    In the U.S. ever since prayer was banned in 1962 the problems in our educational system have just gotten worse.

“Specialty Research Associates, under the direction of David Barton, has released a report entitled America: To Pray or Not to Pray which uses over 100 pages of g ...[text shortened]... s wrong, out of touch, and needs some common sense." Rep. James Traficant, (D-OH) 1999-APR-27.
    If there's any system that's damaging to children, it's religion. Filling their impressionable heads with all that nonsense.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 12:37
    during my primary school years i had a racist primary school teacher.not too sure why he wasn't booted out,cause if i had a child going to a school like that i proberbly would have walked in there and gave him the SMASH!
    the point of this is rather weird as the next school i went to was ...[text shortened]... .
    i tried in the debates forum but this may get more traction here.
    Everyone rants and raves about how bad "The System" is. However the system is merely an organasation made up of people and started and run by people and the only way it will get better is if people do something about it. Why dont you go around your local schools and find out what you can do to help improve them?
    My observation is that teachers who teach because they love children and teaching are far better than teacher who teach for a salary. In general we find more of the former in a Church run school. However this is partly a sign that the salaries in non-christain schools are not good enough or the teacher selection and monitoring process is flawed.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 14:15

“Specialty Research Associates, under the direction of David Barton, has released a report entitled America: To Pray or Not to Pray which uses over 100 pages of g ...[text shortened]... s wrong, out of touch, and needs some common sense." Rep. James Traficant, (D-OH) 1999-APR-27.
    If you don’t like other peoples description of him then find your own God.
    That shouldn't lead to any problems, now should it?
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 19:51
    Prayer was banned in 1962, eh? I must have missed that decision. There seems to be a problem enforcing the law. I see people praying all the time and they never get prosecuted.
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 19:58
    I'm very concerned for the children. It seems like the schools can no longer teach them basic writing skills.
  11. Colorado
    Moves
    01 Feb '06 06:09
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Prayer was banned in 1962, eh? I must have missed that decision. There seems to be a problem enforcing the law. I see people praying all the time and they never get prosecuted.
    When you compare private religious schools to public schools the differences become clear. Ethics is not a part of the school curriculum, at least not like it should be. Say what you want about religion, but it’s still the most effective way to teach ethics.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Feb '06 07:16
    When you compare private religious schools to public schools the differences become clear. Ethics is not a part of the school curriculum, at least not like it should be. Say what you want about religion, but it’s still the most effective way to teach ethics.
    I disagree.
    Religions often teach a version of ethics which I personally dont agree with. Some of the following are common teachings (though not universal)
    1. The only reason for doing good is because God demands it.
    2. Anything bad we do can be blamed on the devil.
    3. Anything bad we do can be forgiven - thus we do not need to feel guilty about it afterwards.
    4. Doing good is not a requirement for getting into heaven, only being born again is. A person who has proffesed his faith in God is more likely to get to heaven than an athiest who dedicated his life to helping others.
    5. People of other faiths beliefs are of lower value within the ethics system.
    6. Issues such as Gay people, sex outside marriage etc are taught as ethically wrong when that may not be the case (depending on your own point of views)
  13. Colorado
    Moves
    01 Feb '06 08:421 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I disagree.
    Religions often teach a version of ethics which I personally dont agree with. Some of the following are common teachings (though not universal)
    3. Anything bad we do can be forgiven - thus we do not need to feel guilty about it af ...[text shortened]... e taught as ethically wrong when that may not be the case (depending on your own point of views)
    If this is indeed what you think of religion I have to ask who taught it to you? What faith are you referring to? It’s not Christianity.

God’s commandments are important, but the scripture also explains why. Evil harms other people. Empathy is key. The golden rule is the classic example. “Treat others as you want to be treated.”

This is so far from the truth. Who teaches this? If this were true Jesus would never have had to come down here, and the scripture would never have had to been written. Religion teaches us that we are held accountable for our actions.

3. Anything bad we do can be forgiven - thus we do not need to feel guilty about it afterwards.

It’s true that anything can be forgiven, but Christianity is not about doing bad and feeling no guilt over it. Repenting can only be done in the sincerest possible way. Actually, I’ve found that some churches tell us to feel too guilty in my opinion.

4. Doing good is not a requirement for getting into heaven, only being born again is. A person who has proffesed his faith in God is more likely to get to heaven than an athiest who dedicated his life to helping others.

This is not what the scripture teaches, but I agree that it has been taught by various churches. Pesonally I disagree with it. A Christian is required to follow Jesus’ teachings in order to accept Jesus. “Why call yee me Lord and do not the things that I say?”

5. People of other faiths beliefs are of lower value within the ethics system.

We’re all of equal value. God made us all in his image and he loves us all unconditionally. Christians do tend to believe that only they are saved and nobody else, but this doesn’t mean that Christians are taught to behave immorally towards the other religions.

6. Issues such as Gay people, sex outside marriage etc are taught as ethically wrong when that may not be the case (depending on your own point of views)

Can’t argue here. Anyway, speaking from my own experience I can say that the religious schools that I attended were far better in every way than the public schools I went to. About the only ethics I ever got at a public school was don’t disrespect the teachers. The students reflected it.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Feb '06 13:24
    If this is indeed what you think of religion I have to ask who taught it to you? What faith are you referring to? It’s not Christianity.
    I was not refering to a faith, I was refering to the ethics teachings of people who claim to be of a particular faith. All of my points I have heard from Christians and some I have heard memebers of other religions as well.
    I have been to both a public and a Christian School and in my experience the best teacher were those who liked teaching. And that applied in both schools. In the Christian School there were some Catholic Brothers who had dedicated thier lives to teaching and as such were very good teachers. However allowing religion to be taught in school, or worse imposed as a requirement on children does not immediately improve the quality of teachers.
    I believe that the muslims I have met have in general as good as or better ethics than the Christians I have met. Refusing to indulge in alcohol being one important point. Does this mean that we should make all schools Muslim schools ? Explain why not.
  15. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Feb '06 13:55
    they both took God's identity but the christians were worse because i thought they loved me.they just loved themselves and i was just a thing they could use to justify it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree