1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '17 18:52
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Exactly what I had in mind, only God is good.
    Only God is good, but Jesus only does what God would do. Jesus claims to simply be an extention of God.

When we do good, we too can only do good as extention of God, not ourselves.
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Jul '17 19:05
    Originally posted by @sonship
    I think that Jesus was telling the young man that if he is willing to call Him good, he should be ready to call Him God.

Only One is good - God.
    Not a very compelling interpretation.

The logical reading of the text is that Jesus is actually saying not to call him good as only God is good. (In other words, he himself is 'not' God).
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Jul '17 19:193 edits
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke

The logical reading of the text is that Jesus is actually saying not to call him good as only God is good. (In other words, he himself is 'not' God).

If that is the case then why did Jesus refer to Himself as "The good Shepherd" ?

" I am the good Shepherd, the good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. "(John 10:11)

There's none good but One - God.
    This God became incarnated as Jesus - the good Shepherd.

In fact in that same section He underscores His oneness with the Father -

"I and the Father are one." (John 10:30)
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Jul '17 19:21

If that is the case then why did Jesus refer to Himself as [b]"The good Shepherd"
    ?

" I am the good Shepherd, the good Shepherd ...[text shortened]... oneness with the Father -

[quote] [b] "I and the Father are one." (John 10:30)
    [/b]
    Jesus spoke in parables. Didn't you know?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Jul '17 19:242 edits
    Jesus spoke in parables. Didn't you know?
    I got to know a long time ago that Jesus spoke in parables.

Sorry, the parables of Jesus will not establish your Atheism.

And it is really not honest to take all that you don't believe in the words of Jesus and dismiss it with - "Well, Jesus spoke in parables."
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Jul '17 19:32
    I got to know a long time ago that Jesus spoke in parables.

Sorry, the parables of Jesus will not establish your Atheism.

And it is really not honest to take all that you don't believe in the words of Jesus and dismiss it with - "Well, Jesus spoke in parables."
    You take Jesus literally, only when it suits your purpose. I find that very disingenuous.

He states clearly that he is not good as only God is good, and yet somehow you twist that to imply he was saying the complete opposite. And yet when he speaks of being a good shepherd, that you take at face value.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '17 19:45
    You take Jesus literally, only when it suits your purpose. I find that very disingenuous.

He states clearly that he is not good as only God is good, and yet somehow you twist that to imply he was saying the complete opposite. And yet when he speaks of being a good shepherd, that you take at face value.
    Funny how you assume one must give up a literal view to believe they are one with the good originating in one part of the being.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Jul '17 20:11
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Funny how you assume one must give up a literal view to believe they are one with the good originating in one part of the being.
    Yes, Christianity does reduce a fellow to fragmented thinking in a desperate pursuit of avoiding polytheistic undertones.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '17 20:48
    Yes, Christianity does reduce a fellow to fragmented thinking in a desperate pursuit of avoiding polytheistic undertones.
    Or the realization that God is beyond our understanding.

Of course that would not sit well with you.
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Jul '17 06:55
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Or the realization that God is beyond our understanding.

Of course that would not sit well with you.
    What, that a God i don't believe in is beyond my understanding? 🙄
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jul '17 07:06

There are a lot of things that Christ says, and a lot that the scriptures teach us about Him.
    Jesus being the Son of God, the Word of God, is simply stating that the Father whose
    Word He is, is the greater, and is giving Him honor. It doesn't diminish Christ, who is the
    perfect representation of God we can see and grasp in human form when here, and
    glorified as the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of God in heaven making intersection
    for us sinners.
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Jul '17 07:14
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    There are a lot of things that Christ says, and a lot that the scriptures teach us about Him.
    Jesus being the Son of God, the Word of God, is simply stating that the Father whose
    Word He is, is the greater, and is giving Him honor. It doesn't diminish Christ, who is the
    perfect representation of God we can see and grasp in human form when here, and
    glo ...[text shortened]... s the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of God in heaven making intersection
    for us sinners.
    Have a good Sunday Kelly.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Jul '17 07:172 edits

My purpose is to enjoy Christ who is living.
    Standing on His word brings me into that experience.

Now I suggested that Jesus was implying that if he was willing to call Him good he should be ready to call Him God. I think this is a fine understanding of that passage. But there are plenty other places in the New Testament where we can see that Jesus Christ is God incarnate, IF that particular take on Matthew 19:17.

Are you going to try to whack-a-mole all of them down ?
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Jul '17 07:191 edit

No. The Good Shepherd teaching will get you into more problems with denying Jesus is God, not less.

That chapter establishes that Jesus Christ was God making His journey from heaven down to earth and INTO man, to impart Himself as divine life to His people.

In that teaching Jesus is the door in and the door out of the sheep fold.
    As the God of the Old Testament He was the door into the sheepfold of Judaism.
    As God come in Jesus Christ He is also the door out of the fold into the pasture.

The Good Shepherd therefore is also the door into the Old Testament and the door out of the Old Testament into the New Testament salvation. In this way Jesus was saying that He was the door IN and the door out. The sheep, God's believers, may go IN AND OUT.

" I am the door, if anyone enters through Me, he shall be saved and shall go in and go out and shall find pasture." (John 10:9)

Now He could not mean that He is the door to heaven and people go in and out of Heaven in that sense. But He means the the fold of the sheep is a temporary holding place. But the pasture of the sheep is the place for them to feed, be nourished and receive life.

"I am the door, if anyone enters through Me, he shall be saved and shall go in and out and shall find pasture.

The thief does not come except to steal and kill and destroy, I have come that they may have life and may have it abundantly.

I am the good Shepherd, the good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. " (John 10:9-11)

Put it all together and what do you have?

Jesus was the Old Testament God before incarnation Who was the door into the fold of His people. In this age He became the Good Shepherd Who went to the cross to lay down His life for the sheep. Then He is the door on the other side that the sheep may go out of the temporary fold of the Old Covenant into the New Covenant and receive Him as divine and eternal life.

God is good. God is the good Shepherd. God in the door in and God in Christ is the door out into the pasture. There the hungry believers may feast on God Himself as eternal life.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jul '17 07:19
    Have a good Sunday Kelly.
    You too my friend. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree