1. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 10:21
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    why is it nonsense?
    It is simply illogical that dieting gets rid of 'toxins' - whatever those might be. Its just another of the myths being pushed by people who make money off the placebo effect and peoples gullibility.
    If you are truly concerned about your health, then eat wisely all the time. Eating junk food then going into a 'detox diet' every now and then dangerous and bad for you even though it may make you feel better psychologically.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 10:42
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It is simply illogical that dieting gets rid of 'toxins' - whatever those might be. Its just another of the myths being pushed by people who make money off the placebo effect and peoples gullibility.
    If you are truly concerned about your health, then eat wisely all the time. Eating junk food then going into a 'detox diet' every now and then dangerous and bad for you even though it may make you feel better psychologically.
    please see noobsters rather excellent post my friend, for you guys are correct, it is dangerous, but we are not talking of excessive consumptions and then trying to get rid of its bad effects, generally religious persons would not consume excessive amounts of alcohol, for that is a sin, as is gluttony. We are also reminded not to be so self consumed that image is the end all and be all, that there are other qualities more important. So you see , this adherence to religion is not as bad as you guys make out, in fact, if the truth be known, its veritably good for you!
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 12:27
    So you see , this adherence to religion is not as bad as you guys make out, in fact, if the truth be known, its veritably good for you!
    Where exactly have you (or anyone else) presented any evidence that dieting is 'veritably good for you'?
    And I for one have not said (or made out) that dieting for religious reasons is bad.
    As with nearly everything in life there are good things and bad things about dieting. I would expect that some forms of dieting (as in abstinence from food) can lead to greater health, but in most cases, better eating habits would be more effective.

I must also add that my Muslim friends tell me that they put on weight during Ramadan because of the binge eating at night.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 12:44
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Where exactly have you (or anyone else) presented any evidence that dieting is 'veritably good for you'?
    And I for one have not said (or made out) that dieting for religious reasons is bad.
    As with nearly everything in life there are good things and bad things about dieting. I would expect that some forms of dieting (as in abstinence from food) can lead ...[text shortened]... m friends tell me that they put on weight during Ramadan because of the binge eating at night.
    I never stated that dieting is veritably good, but that adherence to true religion is! but that aside, are you saying that there are no benefits to dieting???? thus dieting in the case of being overweight surly is good, for one can avoid all sorts of things associated with being overweight, high blood pressure, increased risk of cardiovascular disease etc etc. if fasting helps reduce that is it not a good thing? your use of the Muslim festival as a case for fasting is not good, for it is imposed and one can see, if going by your statement that people are putting on weight, that it defeats the purpose.
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 13:03
    Originally posted by scherzo
    Is killing me. I don't think I can make it; I've barely made it one weekend.
    Scherzo, you are a Moslem.

May I ask you some questions about your belief. My desire is clarify some differences respectfully in the Gospel of Christ and the teaching of Islam.

Would you allow me to question you to outline the similarities and differenes?

This is as good a thread to do so.
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 13:05
    If so scherzo, I would like to ask you -

Do you have sins you have commited in your life? And if so what are you going to do about them ?
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 14:03
    I never stated that dieting is veritably good, but that adherence to true religion is!
    My mistake.

... are you saying that there are no benefits to dieting????
    I am rather saying that there are better ways of achieving the same results.

thus dieting in the case of being overweight surly is good, for one can avoid all sorts of things associated with being overweight, high blood pressure, increased risk of cardiovascular disease etc etc. if fasting helps reduce that is it not a good thing?
    I did say that there are good sides and bad sides to everything - even fasting. If fasting helps you loose weight (and you are overweight), it would be a good thing, but it is not the best way to do it and can even be dangerous if taken to extremes. It is far better to cut down slowly than to cut out altogether - and even more importantly, to change what you eat.

your use of the Muslim festival as a case for fasting is not good,
    I didn't use it as a 'case for fasting'.

for it is imposed and one can see, if going by your statement that people are putting on weight, that it defeats the purpose.
    It defeats what purpose? I don't think any of them fast to loose weight. They fast because of 'adherence to religion'. Obviously you don't think it is 'true religion' so it might not be 'veritably good'.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 14:111 edit
    anything which suppresses the natural exercise of the conscience is no good. 🙂
  9. At the Revolution
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 21:56
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Scherzo, you are a Moslem.

May I ask you some questions about your belief. My desire is clarify some differences respectfully in the Gospel of Christ and the teaching of Islam.

Would you allow me to question you to outline the similarities and differenes?

This is as good a thread to do so.
    Islam is like Christianity, except we think you guys set too much store by Christ and that he was a Prophet, but not the son of God. There is only one Trinity and that is ALLAH swt. And we believe that the Prophet Muhammed PBUH wrote the word of ALLAH swt through the Holy Qur'an as dictated to him by the Angel Gabriel, and other dictations (Moses', Christs', etc.) are outdated or poorly transcribed.

We both believe in the Old Testament.
  10. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 11:31
    Islam is like Christianity, except we think you guys set too much store by Christ and that he was a Prophet, but not the son of God. There is only one Trinity and that is ALLAH swt. And we believe that the Prophet Muhammed PBUH wrote the word of ALLAH swt through the Holy Qur'an as dictated to him by the Angel Gabriel, and other dictations (Moses', Christs', etc.) are outdated or poorly transcribed.

We both believe in the Old Testament.
    I don't know what swt means.

But what are you going to do about the sins you have committed before God ? If you live perfect from this day onward, still you have the sins you have done up to this day.

What will you do about them ?
  11. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 12:132 edits
    [b]I don't know what swt means.
    it means " glorius and exalted is he"
  12. At the Revolution
    Moves
    28 Aug '09 01:26
    I don't know what swt means.

But what are you going to do about the sins you have committed before God ? If you live perfect from this day onward, still you have the sins you have done up to this day.

What will you do about them ?
    "Swt" is the standard suffix for ALLAH swt. It means "glorious and exalted."

I have already confessed my pre-conversion sins to an imam. It's a standard part of the conversion process.
  13. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    29 Aug '09 15:23
    "Swt" is the standard suffix for ALLAH swt. It means "glorious and exalted."

I have already confessed my pre-conversion sins to an imam. It's a standard part of the conversion process.
    Imam; the person who leads prayers in a mosque.
    • ( Imam) a title of various Muslim leaders, esp. of one succeeding Muhammad as leader of Shiite Islam.

Jesus Is our Savior.
  14. At the Revolution
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 22:19
    Originally posted by daniel58
    Imam; the person who leads prayers in a mosque.
    • ( Imam) a title of various Muslim leaders, esp. of one succeeding Muhammad as leader of Shiite Islam.

Jesus Is our Savior.
    For you, maybe. For me, and another 4 billion people, he isn't.
  15. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 12:59
    For you, maybe. For me, and another 4 billion people, he isn't.
    he is if they allow him to be, Christ doesn't force himself on people.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree