1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Sep '09 13:031 edit
    Originally posted by duecer
    he is if they allow him to be, Christ doesn't force himself on people.
    So then why do Christians? Are they insecure in their beliefs, or something?
  2. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    07 Sep '09 18:51
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    So then why do Christians? Are they insecure in their beliefs, or something?
    Christians don't force themselves on anybody.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Sep '09 21:20
    Originally posted by daniel58
    Christians don't force themselves on anybody.
    Are you serious? I guess it means by what you mean by 'force'. I guess the Crusades were pretty forceful , weren't they ? What about the Reformation?
  4. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 00:05
    Are you serious? I guess it means by what you mean by 'force'. I guess the Crusades were pretty forceful , weren't they ? What about the Reformation?
    1. The Crusades were wars, Christians DEFENDING THe Holy Land.

2. What about it, that's when non-christians killed many Christians.
  5. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 00:23
    Originally posted by scherzo
    Is killing me. I don't think I can make it; I've barely made it one weekend.
    Well wishes to you, scherzo, in your religious observance. If it was easy I don't think it would be the sacred part of your tradition that it is.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 13:47

The Crusades: Going forth into foreign lands and converting by force. "Bow down to Jesus' church or die" . Or was all the Earth holy land that had to be purged of all 'pagans'?.

Do christians believe in an eye for an eye? You seem to.
  7. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 19:51
    The Crusades: Going forth into foreign lands and converting by force. "Bow down to Jesus' church or die" . Or was all the Earth holy land that had to be purged of all 'pagans'?.

Do christians believe in an eye for an eye? You seem to.
    The issue of numbers, (Christian Encyclopedia) basically counts everyone who could be called a Christian (no matter how nominal) and every death as a "Christian" is counted as a martyr (even if they are killed for purely ethnic or land issues) - that is how he gets such HUGE numbers that can't be verified and cause dismay and ridicule in the world of high level diplomacy.
    about 200 million living with persecution (threat of imprisonment, violence etc), and a further 400 million living with non-trivial deprivations of liberty (discrimination, restrictions etc)

In one of his late letters he referrs to the death of 4000 Catholics in the small port town of Chelsea, but we are having a hard time coming up with a total number of Catholics killed as a result of Henry VIII's and Cromwells reformation.

Better question would be how many were killed by the Islamic fanatics. That is what brought on the Christian Crusades. The christians were, in the begining, just trying to protect themselves

Remember that heresy was a state crime and became ever more a burden on the common people in both Catholic and non-Catholic states as government assumed and exercised more and more authority in the area of religion.. A good description of how the Tudor government oppressed the people cna be found in Eamon Duffy's "The Stripping of the Altars, Traditional Religion in England 1400-1580" tells how the Tudor governments, except for the Marian interlude, suppressed popular Catholicism in the kingdom. I have read elsewhere that Elizabeth executed as many Catholics as "Bloody" Mary did, and that her secret service was very effective in suppressing both Catholic and Puritan dissent.

The great majority of Catholices executed by Elizabath were for "treason," even though most, like the Jesuit Edmund Campion, were really killed for their faith. The situation of Roman Catholics and separatists was pretty much the same as that of Christians in China today.

Protestants abandoned several centuries of developed church tradition, Protestant theology focused instead upon stricter adherence to scriptures. As an example, the harsher laws of the Old Testament developed greater prominence in Protestant lands than they did in Catholic lands.
    In Switzerland, John Calvin created a vicious theocracy in which morality police were employed to control people's behavior. Citizens were harshly punished for a wide variety of moral infractions, including dancing, drinking, and generally being entertained. Theological dissidents were summarily executed, like Michael Servetus who was burned for doubting the Trinity. It isn't surprising that some of the nastiest Christians in America today, like Christian Reconstructionists, are unabashed Calvinists

During the many Huguenot wars ravaging France, Huguenot soldiers hunted priests like animals and one captain is reported to have worn a necklace of priests' ears. In England, after King Henry VIII created the Anglican Church, he went after both Catholics and Protestants. Catholic loyalists like Sir Thomas More were quickly executed, but Lutherans who doubted retained doctrines like transubstantiation were also not spared.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 20:01

Exodus chapter 20, verse 13 says that you should not kill. It doesn't say anything about exceptions. Not kill, it says.

Do you think christians can kill for God?
  9. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 20:10
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Exodus chapter 20, verse 13 says that you should not kill. It doesn't say anything about exceptions. Not kill, it says.

Do you think christians can kill for God?
    If I threatened your life would you defend yourself or let me kill you? If you defended yourself and killed me in the process then you were just defending yourself, of you just let me kill you that's like suicide.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 20:13
    If I threatened your life would you defend yourself or let me kill you? If you defended yourself and killed me in the process then you were just defending yourself, of you just let me kill you that's like suicide.
    So you think it's christian to kill other people, despite Exodus 20:13?
    Isn't the bible important to you?
  11. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 20:14
    So you think it's christian to kill other people, despite Exodus 20:13?
    Isn't the bible important to you?
    You didn't answer my question I asked first.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 20:16
    You didn't answer my question I asked first.
    Your question has nothing to do with it.
    You, in essence, say that christians can kill, despite exodus 20:13.
  13. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 20:17
    Your question has nothing to do with it.
    You, in essence, say that christians can kill, despite exodus 20:13.
    So you believe you can commit suicide?
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 20:18
    So you believe you can commit suicide?
    Read Exodus 20:13, if you have a bible of your own. Does it say that you can commit suicide? Then there you have the answer.
  15. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 20:22
    Read Exodus 20:13, if you have a bible of your own. Does it say that you can commit suicide? Then there you have the answer.
    Exactly if your life is threatened then you have a right to defend it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree