1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 04:53
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    Do you think you can better understand someone by gaining understanding of their views or by asking them to label themselves?
    Yes.

This is a spirituality forum, I don’t think it is unreasonable to ask someone to declare whether they are theist, atheist or agnostic before engaging with them. Your refusal to do so tells me all I need to know at this juncture.

Good luck with the threads.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 12:441 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Yes.

This is a spirituality forum, I don’t think it is unreasonable to ask someone to declare whether they are theist, atheist or agnostic before engaging with them. Your refusal to do so tells me all I need to know at this juncture.

Good luck with the threads.
    DG's response is quite telling.

This is the first post on this thread that DG edited text out of the "Originally Posted By" box. In his previous five responses to me, he left it unedited. Toward what end? Below is the paragraph from my original post that DG edited down to one sentence:
    Your questions are interesting in and of themselves. Do you think you can better understand someone by gaining understanding of their views or by asking them to label themselves? As for me, I think the former. Labels are not only superficial at best, they are often misleading,

Clearly a much better understanding of someone can be gained by understanding their views rather than asking them to label themselves. Rather than answer the question honestly, DG edited out the surrounding text in an awkward attempt to obscure this fact. It's a demonstration of his underhandedness.

That DG responded to an "either / or " question with "Yes" just makes his blatant underhandedness all the more laughable.

Of course there was also the underhandedness from DG's previous response that I called him out on that he also edited out rather than address it.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 18:43

This is the first post on this thread that DG edited text out of the "Originally Posted By" box. In his previous five responses to me, he left it unedited. Toward what end? Below is the paragraph from my original post that DG edited down to one sentence:
    [quote]Your questions are interesting in and of themselves. Do yo ...[text shortened]... DG's previous response that I called him out on that he also edited out rather than address it.
    Why are you talking to me in the third person? You sound like duchess64.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 18:45

[quote]Your questions are interesting in and of themselves. Do yo ...[text shortened]... DG's previous response that I called him out on that he also edited out rather than address it.
    I had your card marked many years ago and this exchange has reconfirmed my initial insight.

If you want to engage with me, those (questions) are my terms, if not then that’s fine too.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 18:51
    Why are you talking to me in the third person? You sound like duchess64.
    I was speaking to the forum about your post. I was not speaking to you.

Is such a concept so far beyond your grasp?
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 18:532 edits
    I had your card marked many years ago and this exchange has reconfirmed my initial insight.

If you want to engage with me, those (questions) are my terms, if not then that’s fine too.
    Based on the quality of your posts over the years, there's no loss for me.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 19:22
    I was speaking to the forum about your post. I was not speaking to you.

Is such a concept so far beyond your grasp?
    You replied to me directly; you were therefore speaking to me in the third person.
    It's not difficult.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 19:23
    Based on the quality of your posts over the years, there's no loss for me.
    Well not engaging with you is a loss to me.

But then that is the fundamental difference between the two of us in here - I am forthright, intellectually honest and unequivocal, you are not.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 19:321 edit
    You replied to me directly; you were therefore speaking to me in the third person.
    It's not difficult.
    Once again, I was speaking to the forum about your post. I was not speaking to you.

I quoted the post so that the forum could see to which post I was referring.

Evidently such a concept IS too far beyond your grasp.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 19:34

But then that is the fundamental difference between the two of us in here - I am forthright, intellectually honest and unequivocal, you are not.

It's your choice.

Yeah well, then there's reality.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 19:38
    [b]Well not engaging with you is a loss to me.

It's your choice.

Yeah well, then there's reality.[/b]
    It is my choice, and has been for several years. Since the last time I asked you a few direct questions and you shrunk back into shell hiding behind a dislike of labels. We both know what I'm talking about here so let's not pretend.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 19:57
    It is my choice, and has been for several years. Since the last time I asked you a few direct questions and you shrunk back into shell hiding behind a dislike of labels. We both know what I'm talking about here so let's not pretend.
    If anyone is "pretending" it is you. For someone who purports to be "forthright, intellectually honest and unequivocal", it's interesting how your depiction of my response distorts it into something it's not.

I'll put my response out there again:
    Your questions are interesting in and of themselves. Do you think you can better understand someone by gaining understanding of their views or by asking them to label themselves? As for me, I think the former. Labels are not only superficial at best, they are often misleading,

Of course, perhaps the concepts put forth there are also too far beyond your grasp.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 20:401 edit
    If anyone is "pretending" it is you...
    Perhaps I’ve not made myself clear thinkofone, unless you are prepared to at least declare whether you are thiest, atheist or agnostic, I’m not prepared to discuss the deeper aspects of my beliefs with you.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 20:411 edit
    Of course, perhaps the concepts put forth there are also too far beyond your grasp.
    🙄

I like the words of Jesus.
    Not telling you why or what I actually believe.
    My ideas are too much for you.

Funny.
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 20:591 edit
    Perhaps I’ve not made myself clear thinkofone, unless you are prepared to at least declare whether you are thiest, atheist or agnostic, I’m not prepared to discuss the deeper aspects of my beliefs with you.
    What? More "pretending"?

I never asked you to "discuss the deeper aspects of [your] beliefs with [me]". Why are you pretending that I did?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree