1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '17 13:481 edit
    How could Paul write this while imprisoned by the Romans waiting to be condemned to death?

Philippians 4:4

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Mar '17 17:11
    Originally posted by whodey
    How could Paul write this while imprisoned by the Romans waiting to be condemned to death?

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to Go ...[text shortened]... God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
    Shame this wasn't your philosophy through the Obama years 😛
  3. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Moves
    27 Mar '17 17:18

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to Go ...[text shortened]... God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
    It's called optimism ... easy to do if one is really in Christ and not part of this world
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Mar '17 20:051 edit

One either believes God, or one does not.

Why is this so weird to you?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '17 20:36
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    One either believes God, or one does not.

Why is this so weird to you?
    If you are feeling down and someone say's "Don't worry, be happy".

Do you receive that well? Should you receive that well? What if you were in Auschwitz awaiting to die?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '17 20:361 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Shame this wasn't your philosophy through the Obama years 😛
    It's not a matter of celebrating your circumstances nor ignoring them. It's a matter of being able to find peace in the midst of it despite those circumstances.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Mar '17 21:051 edit
    It's not a matter of celebrating your circumstances nor ignoring them. It's a matter of being able to find peace in the midst of it despite those circumstances.
    Thanks, I would always have believed that it was all about which party were in power. 🙄
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Mar '17 21:101 edit

Do you receive that well? Should you receive that well? What if you were in Auschwitz awaiting to die?
    Read "The Hiding Place" a story written by someone who was there during that time. Not Auschwitz but one of the other ones.
  9. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Moves
    27 Mar '17 21:111 edit

It would remind me of the movie Life is Beautiful:

YouTube : Life is Beautiful
  10. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Moves
    27 Mar '17 21:15
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Read "The Hiding Place" a story written by someone who was there during that time. Not Auschwitz but one of the other ones.
    Survival in Auschwitz by Primo Levi is also about the "experience" of being in one of those horrible places.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Mar '17 22:401 edit

I dunno. In his own blood? or maybe with a rock?
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Mar '17 22:43

The wise know death is part of life. However knowing that this IS going to be your last day would be a trip
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '17 23:151 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    The wise know death is part of life. However knowing that this IS going to be your last day would be a trip
    This is the part of the verse that sticks with me.

"And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding"

There is no logical explanation for it.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Mar '17 02:45

No.... no there isn't.

You know that's pretty Zen right there , don't you? 🙂
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Mar '17 02:521 edit

You may be interested in this :

I met a Christian vet(eran) of the Vietnam war (I think).

And his troop came to a monastery which they had to "take down" .
    The last remaining monks, rather than flee, just sat in front of the gates of the monastery , with there legs crossed on the ground.
    As the soldiers approached these last few monks set themselves on fire... just sitting there in lotus position!!!

He said they showed no fear and says one of them even smiled as he burned!!

Point of the story is that this vet was just totally transformed by this experience. He told me it had haunted his dreams for ages , but then came to make peace with himself and the world and became a very much changed person.

Again I suppose you had to be there to know if he was saying the truth or embelishing a little. It felt right to me. I'm pretty sure he shed a real tear, despite this hapeening some 40 years ago. Wow!!